Angling Trust in Trouble: So how many of you have joined?

Reaction score
Good to see so many FM'ers and groups like the PAC and CSG supporting the Angling Trust.

Where do other 'species' collectives like the ZAC, Tenchfishers, Barbel Society etc stand on AT membership?

It is not a 'perfect' organisation, but it is the only one we've got, and for the sake of a measley 20 quid I think it's well worthwhile.

The only benefit I expect for my money is the fact that our sport has some representation and that polluters continue to be prosecuted. Like that annoying advert for wood stain...

The AT does exactly what it says on the can!

Come on then lads, dig deep... How many more of you are already members, and how many others are prepared to forego a night in the pub for the sport we all love? :)

PS: Dave (Lumb),

I sent an email to Colin Goodge and Chris Bishop about a month back regarding the PAC press office. Any way you can find out if they received it? I haven't had a reply from either?

Last edited:

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
ECHO is in too.......it would be great to see some of the other single species groups join up but to be honest, what the AT needs in the short term is a lot more individuals....

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Think i'll save my £20.00p till then, if i don't have to pay any more fines. or have to pay to get my car fixed, just forked out £84.12p on the car and £25.00p for a parking fine. :(

preston96

Reaction score
i have parted with my £20...........i could make a long list of what else i could do with my £20, but truth is we need something, this is all we have and we have to back it and let our comments really mean something.

Just being careful where we park could help so much! :wh

preston96

Reaction score
I detest the name though.....AT, why do i think of Angling Times first when i see those intials!!! (not that i detest the Angling Times....well perhaps Des's bit :wh )

I wanted it to keep ACA........it was unique, and that is exactly wht we wanted, instant recognision, not confusion! another grave error in my opinion!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
In

(la la la la la) it wont let me just say "IN" it's got to be 10 characters at least!

Then you say "I'm in the AT" = 10 characters.

Paul, I agree with you. I wanted the ACA to remain as it was. people had know it for more than 50 years even if they had turned their backs on it recently (for all the obvious reasons). It meant something to say "I belong to the Anglers' Conservation Association."

(and incorporating the Pure Rivers Society!)

Maybe a change to Angling Conservation Association, after all it changed its name before from Cooperative, didn't it? I just don't know why "Fish Legal" and never have.

Is the Duke of Edinburgh still the patron of Fish Legal - anyone know?

preston96

Reaction score
Then you say "I'm in the AT" = 10 characters.

Paul, I agree with you. I wanted the ACA to remain as it was. people had know it for more than 50 years even if they had turned their backs on it recently (for all the obvious reasons). It meant something to say "I belong to the Anglers' Conservation Association."

(and incorporating the Pure Rivers Society!)

Maybe a change to Angling Conservation Association, after all it changed its name before from Cooperative, didn't it? I just don't know why "Fish Legal" and never have.

ACA....the rebirth, ANGLING Conservation Association, sounds good to me! doe's it matter? you bet it doe's thats why company's pay Millions to marketing!
One firm i worked for changed it's name about 5 times in 10years..before reverting back......local pubs tried to change their names but it never worked.

I don't want to be confused when i see the intials AT......i want to be totally focused on ACA!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Everyone seems to be focusing on the 'ACA' Lest we forget there were other organisations involved in FACT and UNITY. Probably if that had been remembered (I believe it was remembered but ignored to some degree) the AT might not be in the pickle it now finds itself in.
I'm in and was at the start, but personally I feel disenfranchised, for all the promises made.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You're right John, there were other groups involved, but in running under one banner they chose Angling Trust. In itself, not a bad name, but confusing when identified by it's initials, AT.

As for Fish Legal, I argued from day one, and will always do so, that there was no need whatsoever to change its name from the ACA. It's a separate organisation now, for legal reasons, and as such there was no requirement to alter it.

Maybe one day it will revert back as Paul suggests.

ICI spent £350m in the 70s to redesign their logo. In the end, they changed the wavy lines to make them less - wavy. That's all, but image is everything.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Your right Jeff, I'm currently re designing the DCAC web site, but it wont cost me (except for my time) or the club a single penny. I understand the AT web site, woeful that it is, is costing a small fortune, and thereby hangs the tale, said the donkey.

The old NAFAC site was superb and was done on a shoestring.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in and was at the start, but personally I feel disenfranchised, for all the promises made.

Given the lack of SA publicity on the AT site I can understand your concerns John. Would you say that this has had a negative impact on Specimen Anglers joining?

No idea Jeff, but his Son is still the Patron of the Salmon and Trout Association . . . .

Like you though, I cannot for the life of me think why they changed the old ACA name to this hideously over-modern "Fish Legal"

As the ACA the body had a great history as well as a fine image, so why change it?

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Perhaps they changed the name from ACA, to Fish Legal, so that people like myself who have had no previous knowledge or affiliation with groups like the ACA, would have a more clear understanding of what they represented when we joined the Angling Trust.

Perhaps they should change it from AT (Angling Trust) to ATA (Angling Trust Association).

Tight Lines :D