Where have all the great anglers the USED to post on FM gone?

stuartpengs

Reaction score
It may in fact be something of a cyclical thing I feel the the original glory days of angling forums are over.

Many fairly edrudite anglers found themselves with computers and a means of being able to express themselves to a larger audience often for the first time and indeed many had their say and a great many friendships were formed and the was a cohesive whole to the feel of several of the angling forums.
Of the ones I used to be involved with there were siginificant identities to fishing magic , anglers net, fishing warehouse, RMC, and maggotdrowners.
Many of the earlier contributors to all of these sites felt that perhaps they could achieve something positive.

Then somewhere along the way things just somehow seemed to go a bit out of kilter and the positivity seemed to ebb away and many of the forums seemed to become dominated by two broad groups either (a) Grumpy old men or (b) wind up merchants. Personal attacks rose along with ever increasing staleness in content. The same tedious arguments kept being dragged out of the cuboard, so every year we will have the same old debate about the close season for example, many of us had those debates several years ago we have adopted the positions we all feel are right and none of us are prepared to change our minds, so yes when we see it coming up again we heave a sigh and do something else more constructive with our time.

Similarly time and again when angling politics heaves into view out will come the attack dogs, yet no-one seems to want to do anything constructive....critisising others work is easy doing something constructive requires effort we seem to have plenty of keyboard warriors who will do the former but not so many the latter.

I have already mentioned personal attacks and looking over the forums over time as both a consumer and on another site a mod I have seen some very unpleasant behaviour which must be off putting to those with a thinner skin who might well have some good solid input to give but who wont for fear of being on the recieving end of the wrath of some unseen keyboard warrior.

For some who have been around a while it may be a case that the novelty of the internet and angling forums has simply worn off.

Now it may well be the case that another generation of younger angling writers may come along and rediscover the net as a platform for the valuable exchange of ideas and knowledge and then forums will rise again or they may rise again for other reasons .......Like an outbreak of foot and mouth which leaves us with no choice other than to write about angling....S'funny that one as one of the busiest periods for forums was during the last outbreak........Just a thought!

My comment on this occasion are general ones and relate to a number of site forums rather than just this one.

How do we change this situation at the moment I am not too sure....

Cakey

Reaction score
cheers mate

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

its nice to know what your fellow anglers think

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

aimed at corker sorry :D:D:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I got on here at last, don't know what was going on.

I have been working very long hours over the last few weeks, only making up for the weeks when the work has been thin on the ground.

I will be up front, (nothing new there I hear some say). It's still fishing magic, but for some reason it's not the same, and not as good IMO. I don't use any other fishing forums, at the moment, and didn't before.

There is nothing wrong with SV, well nothing a hit on the head with a hammer wouldn't put right :):):);):w, he is as honest as the day is long, so you can only trust him for 24 hours.

Had some great banter and debate, met some great members at fish in's, but the fact is, there are not as many posting anymore.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Back

Good to see you back on FM Ray - its not been the same without you.

The true essence of FM is not who 'owns' it, or even the articles, but it is the members.

I hope you are going to hang around for a while Ray.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, good to be back.

I am not going anywhere yet Peter, not that I know of anyway.

As you say it's the members, but as we know, many are not around, and there has to be a reason for the amount that are missing I would think.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Sometime over the last week , Skippy put up a thread ( I think ) , I`m can`t even remember what it was about , after a couple of posting he , was warned off not to go to far , which he hadn`t , by a mod ??

Les I think it may have been a thread started by SV that you are referring to? Possibly this one?

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40087

There was no 'warning' mate, simply a polite reminder not to go OTT, as then complaints come in, and threads get pulled or locked. Prevention is better than cure.

With regards barbel wars, let's remember a few things.

Firstly, GM would get loads of personal emails each day, all of which needed replying to, he'd also get calls at home at 10pm from those whom had been 'wronged' on the forum. Then there was the editing, deleting and threats of litigation. In short, a ton of work and hassle for what was little more than mild amusment for the rest of us.

It got to that extent that there was also talk that fall outs and arguments were apparently making members ill with worry, stress or whatever. So yes, whilst I and many others enjoyed the big kids scrapping on after school computer club, there is always another side that we did not see or hear whilst we were crunching our crisps giggling.

Let us also remember that there were certain members that could not make an innocent post without being rounded on by the nameless, so the upshot of that is that they stop posting. That is now not the case.

Once the buyout was under way GM made it clear that the barbel wars would cease forthwith, it simply would not have been fair for a new owner to inherit much of that kak, I do not recall anyone arguing against this when GM made the statement in the final months under Magicalia.

Last edited:

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Lurking :eek:

Think there may be a lot like myself who wait for a worthwhile post to come along before jumping in. Hence a lot of lurking is going on. Still offer a little assistance if I can spot something early enough :)

Oh, and Peter ............................:w :D :cool: :wh

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My trouble is, that I now think as I'm going to respond on some posts,
****** it's not worth it and that's after I've typed it all out.Somebody will read something into that response, that's not there.

My view is though, that Alan has it about right.

In the old day's, when the wars were on, I only responded.
It appears I'm looked upon as an agitator, when that is/was the furthest thing on my mind, and always has been.

Well, apart from the occasional attempt at wind up, and to comment on somebody's teeth!!

By the way, I'm not saying I'm one of the great anglers!!(Just in case:D)

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
It may in fact be something of a cyclical thing I feel the the original glory days of angling forums are over.

Many fairly edrudite anglers found themselves with computers and a means of being able to express themselves to a larger audience often for the first time and indeed many had their say and a great many friendships were formed and the was a cohesive whole to the feel of several of the angling forums.
Of the ones I used to be involved with there were siginificant identities to fishing magic , anglers net, fishing warehouse, RMC, and maggotdrowners.
Many of the earlier contributors to all of these sites felt that perhaps they could achieve something positive.

Then somewhere along the way things just somehow seemed to go a bit out of kilter and the positivity seemed to ebb away and many of the forums seemed to become dominated by two broad groups either (a) Grumpy old men or (b) wind up merchants. Personal attacks rose along with ever increasing staleness in content. The same tedious arguments kept being dragged out of the cuboard, so every year we will have the same old debate about the close season for example, many of us had those debates several years ago we have adopted the positions we all feel are right and none of us are prepared to change our minds, so yes when we see it coming up again we heave a sigh and do something else more constructive with our time.

Similarly time and again when angling politics heaves into view out will come the attack dogs, yet no-one seems to want to do anything constructive....critisising others work is easy doing something constructive requires effort we seem to have plenty of keyboard warriors who will do the former but not so many the latter.

I have already mentioned personal attacks and looking over the forums over time as both a consumer and on another site a mod I have seen some very unpleasant behaviour which must be off putting to those with a thinner skin who might well have some good solid input to give but who wont for fear of being on the recieving end of the wrath of some unseen keyboard warrior.

For some who have been around a while it may be a case that the novelty of the internet and angling forums has simply worn off.

Now it may well be the case that another generation of younger angling writers may come along and rediscover the net as a platform for the valuable exchange of ideas and knowledge and then forums will rise again or they may rise again for other reasons .......Like an outbreak of foot and mouth which leaves us with no choice other than to write about angling....S'funny that one as one of the busiest periods for forums was during the last outbreak........Just a thought!

My comment on this occasion are general ones and relate to a number of site forums rather than just this one.

How do we change this situation at the moment I am not too sure....

In the main I have to agree with Alan, all forums are not anywhere near as busy as they were. The peak has passed and the new era has begun.

I don't know who 'the Greats' are that Matt refers to, but whoever they are I wouldn't mind betting that few of them are not on here now because they've gone elsewhere, but because they have lost interest in fishing forums in general.

My wish for some time now has been for a better quality forum, and if that means fewer posts then it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make. Which doesn't mean I want a sterile and humourless forum, but one that isn't a magnet for those who troll forums just to see how much trouble they can cause.

As far as the 'new' FM is concerned then yes, we may have lost a fair number of members through technical difficulties during the changeover, and we may have offended a few who have had problems logging on, etc. None of this was deliberate and we're working as hard as our resources will allow.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
So where are the new members, and why are they not posting?? Nothing to do with established members ignoring their post by any chance eh? PMSL :p

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It would have absolutely nothing to do with the Forum Clique.
I mean, no one would be offended by there opinion being flung back at them with a venomous tyrade (would they).
Very few serious threads would be made fun of, but, threads with a less than serious agenda or hidden double takes shall be soon discovered and treated as such.

Here are 2 examples.

My Rod is old and needs replacing what would you recommend.

I have £100.00p to spend on a new 13ft Match rod, what would you recommend.

Pretty much a similar question, but one has a more defined explanation to it, where as the other could be seen as applying to something else.
Both serious questions to them that posted them, but both would probably receive a different response.
So sometimes it is how you write your posting that leads to some mis behaving, but no malice just fun.
But some serious postings, become nasty and self opinionated and there is no fun in them.

It isn't easy to find a original serious topic to discuss that hasn't already been covered, but a forum is a community, it's about bonding, learning, debating, having fun, it is not about personal nastiness, or degrading someone because their views are different.

I will continue to visit FM so long as Graham and the Boys will allow me, as i think it's great, i have learnt loads, some good some not so good.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The same tedious arguments kept being dragged out of the cuboard, so every year we will have the same old debate about the close season for example, many of us had those debates several years ago we have adopted the positions we all feel are right and none of us are prepared to change our minds, so yes when we see it coming up again we heave a sigh and do something else more constructive with our time.

I pulled this quote out of Alan's post because I am one of those who contributes to the annual CS debate, if not being the one who starts it.

Fact is that angling, like everything in this world, is subject to change and evolution. Just like in the Victorian days when anglers then thought it would be a good move to bring in a close season that didn't sit well with everyone (I'm sure). Today, the close season is felt to be out of date or inappropriate and only by discussing it will we (maybe) get it changed. That's if anyone else is listening.

By all means I would welcome Alan's view on it even if his doesn't alter, but to say such debate is boring simply because someone else doesn't want to take part is ludicrous. Every year there will be someone asking why it is there and the debate tends to answer that, in general, but I would never want it to descend into personal abuse.

--------------------------------

Saying that, I do tend to get wound up by people who, having asked for information, refuse to accept it or research it further themselves. And this goes for live face-to-face conversation also. For example .....

Last Sunday I was fishing the Thames when a face appeared and asked "Who owns the fishing on this stretch." Being a members who is 'in the know' I answered with the precise details, only to be told "No. You're wrong, it's free fishing along here."

"Why then did you ask?" I retorted. "Because I wanted to hear what you had to say."

"And you know that to be a fact?" I said.

"Yes, it always was free fishing and you don't need a licence either." This was getting interesting.

"Well, you fish it and when an EA bailliff comes along and charges you and you end up in Court with a fine, come back and tell me what you think of your statement then."

"I know I'm right and you are wrong. No one owns this fishing."

By this time I am getting blue in the face, but instead of exacerbating the situation, I turned my back and continued fishing. Had I been on a computer I might have been laying some personal insults about this man's intelligence quotient, which can only be counted with a single digit.

Some people ....... :mad:

klik2change

Reaction score
There was no 'warning' mate, simply a polite reminder not to go OTT, as then complaints come in, and threads get pulled or locked. Prevention is better than cure.

I'm not so sure prevention IS better than cure, if you stop people in full flow. Do people really get so passionate that they complain about political discussions such as the chat between SV and grumpy git? If people find a thread they disagree with they have the choice of posting a reply, starting a new thread in opposition, or doing something else. If they complain under those cirumstances tell 'em to bu99er o55 [in the nicest PC terms of course]

It seems to me, and of course I could easily be wrong, the threads that people really get upset about are actually about fishing!

I take your points about the barbel wars. I lurked all the way though that - and I still wore a steel helmet whenever I came on line - I rarely actually logged on.

As for you SV, I paid you a compliment - at least have the decency to post back your emarrassment yer B45T4RD! This is all only following the trends though .... have a pop at sv and ignore me! I'm definitely not part of the forum clique, wihch seems to me to exist as well, I have to say. And you have been posting for quite a long time, haven't you, SV?

I bet I get moderated now!

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
As for you SV, I paid you a compliment - at least have the decency to post back your emarrassment yer B45T4RD! This is all only following the trends though .... have a pop at sv and ignore me!

I hope you don't get moderated, well not by me. I take it that cpomment above is all in good jest and doubt that SV will take any offence at it (let me know if you do SV).

You can see when things are getting out of hand and EC has been in contact saying what he is or is going to do to moderate someone and he has my full support.

Let us debate by all means, but not become offensive or use such language that will cause such offense. Does that stop the forums being good? I don't think so.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If i wasn't a thick skinned character, who can see past personal insults, i could have on several occassions reported posts, that isn't my way, why?
Because the people who post the comments really don't know me as a person and so i don't take it as personal, just someone venting their view.

klik2change

Reaction score
Wolfie -

Oh I think it WAS moderated!

Quite frankly I would be amazed if SV took offence - it's a back-handed compliment and I am sure SV will realise it. My guess is, he and I are both educated working class lads, who can recognise each other a mile off.

I just moderated myself. I said something unpleasant about middle class twerps. I took it all back, though.

Bill Cox

Reaction score
iI think the fact that there is such a large base of members will see FM through what was always going to be a rough transition period. It is not too disimilar to the old FM and i'm sure all the old names will still be looking in, people post when they have something to say by and large, Some like to start the threads off and others just like to comment, with any large body of people you will have an ever changing active and vocal layer and the bulk who are happy to read and just occaisionally comment. People change but they are stillo here (most of them):)

Cakey

Reaction score
Well Ive still got the ump
the great anglers are still here the sh*t ones have gone .....:D:D:D

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
And your posts get changed on the new FM. I posted about a Cr*p fishery and someone changed it to a four star fishery.