Where have all the great anglers the USED to post on FM gone?

Reaction score
I just read one of Swordsy's posts where he listed a number of great anglers and it reminded me of the many more great anglers that USED to REGULARLY post on the FM forum and contribute some great articles.

Since the changeover to the new site, many of these anglers have gone AWOL!

Where are they?

Why aren't they posting?

Are they lurking?

Did they have trouble logging in to the new site and gave up?

Have they got board of FM and moved on?

Are they posting on facebook like a bunch of girls?

Any ideas chaps?

Muffin

Reaction score
You are still here Matt so thats one........ :)

But I agree there appears to be a lack of fishing related technical posts recently from the people you mention

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Near to 61,000 members and today there are just......71 online.

Something's not working, whether it was all the prevarication over the site transfer (and complete lack of information coming out of Magicalia) or the difficulties (imagined or otherwise) of navigating the new site, I suspect that the core of active membership has shrunk quite markedly.

If they have gone elsewhere (or been lured away), then after all this time it's probably fair to assume that they might not be returning.

The 'new' FM is not the 'old ' FM, it is like comparing chalk to cheese, and the cheese lovers have stayed and the chalk lovers have moved on IMHO.......!!!!

Muffin

Reaction score
The 'new' FM is not the 'old ' FM, it is like comparing chalk to cheese, and the cheese lovers have stayed and the chalk lovers have moved on IMHO.......!!!!

I like cheese, so you must be right. I knew that curdled milk was the route of all evil, and now its been proved.......

PS, I've just had another thought.......maybe they are all FISHING?

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
The ratio between lurkers and posters now is enormous. It seems that the 10% posters to 90% lurkers in many threads is now nearer to 5% / 95%.

Certainly the major proportion of members seem very reluctant to post, which is a shame

Last edited:
Reaction score
The forum is open to view without being a registered member. There seems to be a lot of 'guests'.

But my main point is, where are all the anglers that were/are members that we used to hear from regularly?????

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
There are a good number of people whose advice, input and opinions I, (and I'm sure others), valued who have not been seen for a while; or post very rarely.

I don't know why, maybe it was the change of site, but realistically it is still FM, it can still be found at WWW.FISHINGMAGIC.COM and accessed from anywhere in the world so I think there may be other reasons.

People do go through phases in their lives, some will return to us and others may not. You never know - you might all be lucky enough to lose me one day if I get bored of fishing (unlikely though).

I must say I don't understand at all the people who haven't logged in just because it's slightly different from the Magicalia site, talk about cutting off your nose.

slb

Reaction score
I know I had problems logging in after the changover. So much so that I tried to get help from the new team, but had no response whatsoever. In the end I had to set up a new account.
Perhaps some of those you're referring to had similar problems and just gave up?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Paul is right in many ways.

The 3 or 4 previously 'regulars' who I chat with by e-mail or by phone, are simply busy on other things at the moment; like changing jobs, but they will be back.

FM is essentially the same place that it ever was, and in some ways it is actually better.

It will improve no end when the damn smiley things are optional though.

Colin?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
It's the same on Anglers Net not much happening on there of late.
Perhaps the need to post on forums is wearing thin?
Even the dreaded "bear pit" that is Pike and Predators is much quieter, however that could be down to the promised crackdown on the mischief makers on there?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm still here, but not as often as I was on the old FM.

This might be due to the lack of serious fishing talk or that not many of the threads interest me? Or the fact that I don't find it easy to navigate.

And I'm not using any other fishing sites.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score

This might be due to the lack of serious fishing talk or that not many of the threads interest me? Or the fact that I don't find it easy to navigate.

For my money mate, I think you're nearest the mark. Though it would be almost impossible to prove, maybe that will rectify itself in due course.

Muffin

Reaction score

Matt said 'Great anglers'!!! :)

PS, when are we going fishing??

Reaction score
I recon Morespiders could contribute more. He goes fishing at least 5 times a week, so has lots of annecdotes and experience to pass on.

But do we hear anything from him?

Do we f***!

He just needs to make an effort and apply himself if you ask me.

Morelingerer is a better fitting name. 5th in line when there's only 4 shovels...

dezza

Reaction score
What we want is another Barbel Wars!

In those halcyon days, literally thousands of anglers on their way home from work would grab a 4 pack and a large bag of crisps and sit in apprehesive glee in front of their PCs as the saga unfolded.

It's all too tame these days!

:D

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Ron, I heard that you brought the bolt rig back to the UK with the sole intention of fishing for barbel with it. In pastie holes. Whilst snoozing in your bivvie and waiting for the bite alarm (set on loud) to go off for at least 90 seconds before picking up the rod.

Is this true?

r1paul

Reaction score
What we want is another Barbel Wars!

In those halcyon days, literally thousands of anglers on their way home from work would grab a 4 pack and a large bag of crisps and sit in apprehesive glee in front of their PCs as the saga unfolded.

It's all too tame these days!

:D

A four pack Ron , kin hell mate , no wonder they don`t post , they are all at the pub topping up .:D

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Perhaps all the old FM reliable fishing Guru's have stepped to one side to let some of the more younger anglers that have talents to step up to the plate.
So don't let them down, shake off your i'm not good enough cobwebs, hush your moanings and get on with the job in hand :D