redworms

nicky

Reaction score
Whilst out in the lanes a few days ago i decided to ask a local farmer would he allow me to dig worms froms from his muck pile expecting him to tell me to "get off my land" but instead he said that wouldn't be a problem as long as i came on my bike not to cause any disruption to the yard, after a quick dig in the older stuff i found thousands of the little red worms the type i believe are recommended for bream fishing, collected a couple of hundred to bring home which i have now put in my own worm farm with my brandlings hope they will survive. looking forward to visiting a local bream water on the weekend to try them out.

Anyone else use redworms?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Yes. I had a three pound Crucian on one last week. Most fish won't turn their noses up to a Redworm. You can add another bait like sweetcorn, bread or tip it with a maggot.

nicky

Reaction score
thats a nice crucian i have been breeding worms in a large composting bin all summer wish i had have had access to the redworms from the start now as i would have bred these instead

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you've access to a large quantity then you can chop them up and put a bed down with a bait dropper close in for Perch.

In the early days of Barbel fishing they used to employ ghillies to bait a swim with thousands of worms over a few days prior to fishing.

nicky

Reaction score
only problem i found is that because they are so small it is hard work collecting any weight of them 200 redworms doesn't fill the container like 200 brandlings. Mind you im not complaining having free access to this sort of bait

i think i'll take brandlings and redworms this weekend as see if i get more bites using the redworms, everyone puts the brandlings down but i have had lots of fish on them.

nicky

Reaction score
did find some bigger ones but werent sure if they were the same species

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

i watched bream fishing by graham marsden and he said if he could only take one bait for bream fishing it would be the redworm

quattro

Reaction score
I've got a muck heap on the yard, and can find worms at any time of the year, even after scraping the snow off. As Ray says if you dig around you can find some quite big ones. I find a bit of damp moss keeps them in good condition for quite a while. I always take a few with me, and if things get a bit slow I put a piece of worm on with corn, or a whole one especially in the margins. The only problem with worm is the possibility of picking up an eel:eek::eek:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Simple way to get hundreds of red worms? Fill an old compost bag with horse manure straight off the field and leave it out of sight in the garden over winter, come spring when you look inside you will find it heaving with red worms.

As a bonus once you have used up the worms it makes a wonderful compost for the garden.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Graham said.
As a bonus once you have used up the worms it makes a wonderful compost for the garden.

Worm cast is also a good additive for ground bait.

Use to use brandlings dug from a manure heap for winter fishing on the Ribble, loads of chub and some good roach. Worms collected on the day at the farm where I fished.

nicky

Reaction score
on closer inspection i think these manure heap worms are small brandlings, it's funny how with brandlings some seem to leak that yellow liquid when pierced and some dont, anyway i took one pot of large brandlings and one pot off small brandlings which a tipped off with red maggot this weekend and caught over 30 bream in the 2-5 lb bracket really cant understand why brandlings get such a bad press

captain carrott

Reaction score
on closer inspection i think these manure heap worms are small brandlings, it's funny how with brandlings some seem to leak that yellow liquid when pierced and some dont, anyway i took one pot of large brandlings and one pot off small brandlings which a tipped off with red maggot this weekend and caught over 30 bream in the 2-5 lb bracket really cant understand why brandlings get such a bad press

the ones that don't leak the yellow stuff and aren't stripey are red worms

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

I've caught well in the past on brandlings, Redworms are supposed to be superior, but I don't think anyones told the fish.

nicky

Reaction score
i think there are probably a few different lesser known species mixed into my wormery as i have gathered them from quite a few sources but some of them are quite large stripy worms that look to me identical to the bradlings and dont produce any yellow stuff, also i have read that the yellow stuff is supposed to give off a pungent smell which i think is a load of rubbish it doesnt smell at all in my opinion it is also claimed to be a deterent to predators but as far as im aware this is only a guess as there has been no scientific evidence to back this up, i think they are better on some waters than others especially where there is a large head of fish but when they are good they are usually excellent

slime monster

Reaction score
If the red worms are small but the muck is crawling with them you can add the lot to dark ground bit ..muck and all ,fed in solid balls it is an effective method of getting worms to the bottom it works like fishing the method on the float

nicky

Reaction score
thats a good idea slime monster i was thinking of something similar before but never got around to trying it out, might just try the muck without the grounbait as on one water i float fish regulary for skimmers groundbait is the kiss of death, those tiny worms dont half wiggle when nicked through the head using a size 16 or 14 hook i think that was half the reason they were so good yesterday