Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: redworms

Default redworms

Whilst out in the lanes a few days ago i decided to ask a local farmer would he allow me to dig worms froms from his muck pile expecting him to tell me to "get off my land" but instead he said that wouldn't be a problem as long as i came on my bike not to cause any disruption to the yard, after a quick dig in the older stuff i found thousands of the little red worms the type i believe are recommended for bream fishing, collected a couple of hundred to bring home which i have now put in my own worm farm with my brandlings hope they will survive. looking forward to visiting a local bream water on the weekend to try them out.

Anyone else use redworms?

Yes. I had a three pound Crucian on one last week. Most fish won't turn their noses up to a Redworm. You can add another bait like sweetcorn, bread or tip it with a maggot.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

thats a nice crucian i have been breeding worms in a large composting bin all summer wish i had have had access to the redworms from the start now as i would have bred these instead

If you've access to a large quantity then you can chop them up and put a bed down with a bait dropper close in for Perch.

In the early days of Barbel fishing they used to employ ghillies to bait a swim with thousands of worms over a few days prior to fishing.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

chop them and feed them and use on the hook, brilliant bait for anything that swims with fins....

only problem i found is that because they are so small it is hard work collecting any weight of them 200 redworms doesn't fill the container like 200 brandlings. Mind you im not complaining having free access to this sort of bait

i think i'll take brandlings and redworms this weekend as see if i get more bites using the redworms, everyone puts the brandlings down but i have had lots of fish on them.

Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    only problem i found is that because they are so small it is hard work collecting any weight of them
    They don't grow all that big, but try digging through some older looking stuff in a different spot.

did find some bigger ones but werent sure if they were the same species

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

i watched bream fishing by graham marsden and he said if he could only take one bait for bream fishing it would be the redworm

I've got a muck heap on the yard, and can find worms at any time of the year, even after scraping the snow off. As Ray says if you dig around you can find some quite big ones. I find a bit of damp moss keeps them in good condition for quite a while. I always take a few with me, and if things get a bit slow I put a piece of worm on with corn, or a whole one especially in the margins. The only problem with worm is the possibility of picking up an eel
    Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I just might tell you the truth.

Simple way to get hundreds of red worms? Fill an old compost bag with horse manure straight off the field and leave it out of sight in the garden over winter, come spring when you look inside you will find it heaving with red worms.

As a bonus once you have used up the worms it makes a wonderful compost for the garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast