Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lures for chub

Default lures for chub

Having caught 4 chub today on bread trotting a stickfloat on the Rother I was thinking of taking the lure ord next time and trying for chub on the lures - with the chance of pike and perch as well

What lure work well for chub?
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

A small Fish type lure or a spinner, but i would recommend using a trace just incase you hook in to a Pike.

Blog Entries

I am no lure angler Paul but from what I have read I thought the summer months were the most productive for Chub on lures ....no doubt I am wrong
    Fancy a pint?

I fish with lures for chub on the thames and I have had most sucsess with small plugs like the Shakespere Big S Fox Terminator and Spro Pikefighter Junior.

Blog Entries

had a couple around 3lb on the aire last summer, small mepps taking them

The only chub i`ve caught on a lure,was taken on a surface plug....a jitterbug type one that made a lot of splash commotion.
    I cast out and let the current take the lure downstream to a raft of floating debris right next to a part submerged tree.
    I began my retrieve and WHAM BAM !!! The most viscious take on a lure i`ve ever experienced !!!
    I wish i had my scales with me that day because it was easily a five pounder and it would have been a pb.

Blog Entries

I've had several (up to 4 in a session) when pike/perching on the Thames from a boat, sometimes more chub than pike or perch! Using fat little dumpy 2 inch floating plugs cast to overhanging vegetation. Usually get the take almost as soon as the lure hits the water.

I've had chub on mepps sizes from no 1's to no 5's. I have only had a couple of dabbles at spinning for chub but was lucky and got some quite decent ones up to just over 6lb.

Default Black and bushy

I fish the Eastern Rother in Sussex/Kent. PRobably not the same Rother as you but, I have had many chub on fly tackle and a big black bushy fly. Not fly casting as such; just flicking it and dabbling here and there. mind you this is a narrow part of the river where I somtimes fish. Works better when the waters clear. Alsi I have found spinning a small minnow loking spinner works; probably because there are minnows in this part of the river. And this works better in the early part of the season; for some reason it dioes not work as well later on in the summer and winter.

I've had mine on small silver flashy spinners and off the surface useing an imitation dog biscuit fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast