Sab attack on anglers

davestocker

Reaction score
Remember the hunt saboteur attack on a fly fishery in Lancashire in 2006? If not, the story’s here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...saboteurs-revealed-in-their-true-colours.html

Well, get this, a Dorset (Poole) cosmetics company called Lush with an international network of retailers have announced that they are going to fund hunt saboteurs. The story was in the Guardian on Saturday, and I’ve posted it below. The idea that a legitimate company is going to fund violent thugs who dress like paramilitaries and hide their identities under hoods and behind full-face balaclavas is outrageous.

Guardian 3.10.09
Lush bubble bath to support hunt saboteur campaign
Paul Lewis
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 3 October 2009 00.56 BST
The cosmetics company Lush is launching a bubble bath it hopes will raise tens of thousands of pounds for anti-blood sports activists who sabotage fox hunts.
The Hunt Saboteurs Association will be the latest beneficiary of proceeds from Lush, the ethical producer of handmade soaps which has gained a reputation for backing radical protest groups.
The citronella and peppermint bubble bath, called The Fabulous Mr Fox, will arrive on the shelves in the coming weeks and will be on sale until Boxing Day, a traditional day for fox hunts. The company hopes the product will raise £50,000 for the activists, and said they money will be used to fund vehicles and video equipment.
Mark Constantine, the 59-year-old co-founder of Lush, which is based in Poole, Dorset, has previously donated large portions of his profits to human rights groups, animal welfare organisations and environmental protesters such as Plane Stupid, who promote non-violent civil disobedience to opposed airport expansion.
Proceeds from the Lush cosmetics empire, which is thought to be worth around £150m, have also been used to fund campaigns to support Sumatran orangutans and oppose the widening of the M1 motorway. Sea Shepherd, a guerilla conservation group that operates vessels to scupper rival ships it finds whaling in the middle of the ocean, has received £22,000 from the sale of Lush products.
Lush, founded by Constantine in 1995, has become a multinational company, with branches in north America, Japan and Australia.
The company claims to give around 2% of profits to charity and is keen to promote itself as an ethical brand. Constantine said funding activists groups was "central to what we do".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/03/lush-supports-hunt-saboteurs

The Lush website is at https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php

The company also support an animal rights (not animal welfare) organization called Animal Aid which is hostile to shooting, and our old enemy PeTA - look at Lush Limited’s Causes on their Facebook pages). Let me suggest that our families should all boycott this loathsome company and its products.

You might wish to write to the major local papers serving Poole, the Dorset Echo newsdesk@dorsetecho.co.uk , and the Bournemouth Echo newsdesk@bournemouthecho.co.uk , or,indeed to post on Lush’s Facebook pages at http://www.facebook.com/lush.co.uk?ref=mf

coelacanth

Reaction score
Animal Aid are one of the worst of a bad bunch, cynical, hypocritical, plagiaristic vermin. That £50K won't go far to be honest by the time the "campaigns team" have awarded themselves their "expenses".

alan

Reaction score
i emailed them telling them i wont use their products any more, and that supporting bullys, vandals and yobs is just sick.
their reply is copied below

Thank you for your email. I would like to take this opportunity to explain why we are supporting the Hunt Saboteurs Association, who will directly receive the proceeds from our Fabulous Mrs Fox bubble bar up until and including Boxing Day.

In February 2005, hunting with hounds was made illegal in England and Wales (Scotland having done so a number of years previously). Sadly, despite being supported by more than 80% of the population and after more than 5 years of this ban being in place, hunts right across the country continue to illegally cause untold suffering to animals in the name of sport.

When we first met The Hunt Saboteurs Association, we were very touched when they told us that when the legislation had been passed they had felt huge relief that they would finally be able to retire from the field now that the law would now be protecting our wildlife, but that the sad reality was that they had seen hunts continue in much the same numbers because police forces seemed reluctant to attend and enforce the ban. So they have had to continue to go out week after week, collecting evidence and filming the hunts. They tell us that as long as the Law is not enforced through the courts, they will be out on the fields of Britain, monitoring the hunts and using tried and tested non-violent tactics to get between the fox and the hounds whenever they can. They don't want to be there, but they can see that nobody else is doing the job.

We feel that it is disgraceful that the Hunt Saboteurs Association, a volunteer organisation, are the only people trying to enforce a ban that was passed into Law not just by a majority in Parliament, but with overwhelming support from the majority of the British public. We also believe that this majority think that hunting has ceased now that it is against the law. Sadly this is not the case and we believe the public should have the right to know.

Lush is proud to be associated with the Hunt Saboteurs Association who show the tenacity and bravery to uphold a law that our own police force and government seem reluctant to enforce, despite strong and continued support for the ban from the British public.

We welcome and value feedback from all our customers, so thank you for getting in touch with us. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our Campaigns team for future consideration.

just emailed them back with a copy of the attack in 2006 and links to all the others i can find. hardly non violent.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]This is the email I sent them and I got the standard reply that Alan posted above.

"Being as you think more about animal rights than human rights remember
that it was the people you support who released hundreds of mink into
the wild, mink that set about wantonly killing thousands of our
indigenous animals and fish. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You should be ashamed of yourselves. I’ll be doing everything I can to persuade people to boycott your products.

You can wrap it up any way you like but you’re supporting violence against people." [/FONT]

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Dave I've copied this to a few other forums, hope you don't mind.

surley the police should get involved with this... incitement to violence?

davestocker

Reaction score
Whatever it takes, Dave. Angling Times seem interested too. BTW, which other foums (PM me if you want)? It's always interesting to track the response.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Another reason for joining Angling Trust.

If these hooligans turn on anglers and cause physical injury we'll want someone to fight for us and get these supporting companies charged with aiding and abetting.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Their logic is totally flawed. Lots of people are against fox-hunting and are also disgusted at the lack of police action since the legal decisions but that don't mean they have to support the ALF and sabs etc. It's barmy.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fox hunting shouldn't have been banned in the first place, and Pro Hunting has more member now than ever before.

I am sure the Pro Hunters will have a trick or two to play on lush.

I have a saying for the Company,

Just Flush Lush down the loo,
Their products stink, like Corkers Poo.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
From the last Grass E Routes newsletter from the Countryside Alliance:

"Readers will not have missed the irony of the Hunt Saboteurs Association being associated with a soap product, but more importantly, perhaps Lush would like to explain its views on the extensive catalogue of criminal activity and physical assault dished out by hunt saboteurs over a long period of time."

Every angler should boycott this Company's products!

quattro

Reaction score
Their logic is totally flawed. Lots of people are against fox-hunting and are also disgusted at the lack of police action since the legal decisions but that don't mean they have to support the ALF and sabs etc. It's barmy.

Exactly so Geoff. I'm one of those people. I live in a rural area and have land and keep sheep and have formed my own opinions about the rights and wrongs of hunting with hounds.
However, the point at issue is obeying the law whether you like it or not. If we could all choose which laws to obey and which to ignore we would be in even deeper doo-doo than we are now:eek::eek: and that applies to the hunters and the sabs.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
This is just like saying, right, every angler should not buy a Rod License, and then they should all fish regardless, sod the law.

I do not agree with hunting for animals with packs of dogs when there are other more humane ways of killing animals classed as pests.

I do also not agree with supporting anyone who is blatantly disregarding the law just because they didn't agree with it.

There are ways to petition law and how it affects people and the way they live and in my opinion, blatantly ignoring it and continuing with the illegal hunts is not the way forward.

Of course this is just my opinion.

As for Lush, what exactly have they done wrong ?

Yes, the way they have done it, could have been managed a lot better, but, at the end of the day they are highlighting some of the illegal activities that are being ignored by the illegal hunters and the Police who are supposed to enforce the laws.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
This is just like saying, right, every angler should not buy a Rod License, and then they should all fish regardless, sod the law.

I do not agree with hunting for animals with packs of dogs when there are other more humane ways of killing animals classed as pests.

I do also not agree with supporting anyone who is blatantly disregarding the law just because they didn't agree with it.

There are ways to petition law and how it affects people and the way they live and in my opinion, blatantly ignoring it and continuing with the illegal hunts is not the way forward.

Of course this is just my opinion.

As for Lush, what exactly have they done wrong ?

They've funded various organisations that if they had their way would ban angling, and one in particular, that attacked a fishery and anglers in 2006-- THAT'S what they've done wrong!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Ok, see well i didn't know that.

Despite that, are they wrong in this instance for targeting illegal Hunters ?

Does angling really need to drag itself in to this ?

If you go looking for a fight, that is exactly what you will get.

Dave German

Reaction score
What they are doing, viper, is supporting an illegal organisation, the alf.
And before you say say the hunts sabs are an ok bunch what would happen if they got all hunts stopped, would they all go back to being ordinary citizens? No they would look for some thing else to cause trouble at, probably us. this happened with the loonys at HLS protests, they got bored and attacked couple of anglers on the cam. They are only in it for the trouble they can cause.

alan

Reaction score
stealth, imagine this.

you take yourself and your kids/grand kids fishing for the day.
your having a really great day, spending time with the kids catching and relaxing.
then a group of yobs turn up, smash your tackle, threaten to throw the kids in the lake, you step in and are punch, stabbed with a dirty needle and go for a swim, all in front of the kids.
then you get to the car park to find your car smashed to pieces and you cant leave the site.

sounds far fetched? do some research on the scum. that is what sab and alf do.

if someone is doing something illegal involve the police, i have no problem with that.

But to support an organisation, and one that is link to another that is according to the FBI a terrorist outfit is sick.

i have made my views known to the local shop, hell i even went in there and told their customers about the scum that they support.