Important - Tonight 10pm More4 TV

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The End of the Line

Charles Clover’s excellent film about the decline in sea fish stocks will be screened on More4 TV tonight (Tuesday 20th October at 10pm). If you haven’t seen this film, try and take time to watch it. It makes grim viewing, but it's a powerful weapon in our campaigns to persuade governments to take action to stop the rape of our seas and oceans.
=========
I've seen this and can vouch for it - essential viewing!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Watched with horror and annoyance ,greedy low lifes.The owners and facilitators that is not you Geoff!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Well - I've been called worse. :)

Captain Fishfinger and his pals have a lot to answer for and they are still out there doing it right now, 24/7, 365 days a year. I think it's theft of the entire planet's heritage and the UN ought to prosecute them under piracy laws. Except we don't have any piracy laws or an effective global legal system under which to challenge them.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thats how I see it Geoff,I felt a bit nauseus to be honest ,I cant help thinking we are all doomed in the future doomed I tell ya doomed.I think pollution will probably kill them all and us anyway in the end. Feeling upbeat today!!!

Steve Handley

Reaction score
An excellent, but very disturbing programme highlighting mans greed and how money corrupts the minds of our so called politicians and leaders without any thought to the consequences to the destruction and rape of our seas.

We can all do our bit by buying sustainable caught fish. But should'nt we be questioning our own practices, when you consider the amount of fish pellets used in modern day fishing. I know it might only be a drop in the ocean (no pun intended), but as they said in the programme, It's us, the general public who buy these products that can make a difference.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I can see nothing for it but to stop buying fish altogether - if I want sea fish, I'll catch them myself.
Farmed fish isn;t an answer - it's fed on fishmeal pellets, which are made by catching sandeels, etc, which would be feeding wild fish if we didn't catch them. And did you know that it takes 8kg of pellet to produce 1kg of farmed fish? What a waste

Reaction score
I've had the same thought Mark. The problem is it then brings in to question pretty much everything we eat. The only conclusion is to only eat what you have grown yourself - not easy to do in todays infrastructure.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
There is a solution, Britain should ban all sea fishing in their waters unless you use a Rod and Line.

I know that will upset a lot of commercial sea fishermen, but they could turn to running charter boats instead. and earn a living doing it that way.

If nothing is done about the raping of the sea life then the sea fishermen will have no future at all, and no alternatives either.

Money makes the world go around, but greed will stop the world going around.

Reaction score
Britain would have to go further than that.

People would still want fish. The super market swould just import more (like they do with everything else) and the sea would continue being raped elsewhere.

It's a global issue.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Yes, i agree, but someone has to start somewhere.

Britian should be the first to put a stake in the ground and show that it really does care for the environment we live in, it's to late now for excuses, and time to act.

The EU obviously can't police it enough, nor do they listen when it comes to recommendations.

Could i live without eating fish, yes i could, would i at least like the choice of whether i would like to live without eating fish, yes i would, if we carry on exploiting the sea and all that lives in it, we soon won't have a choice.