Irish tench

bazmati

Reaction score
Hi
Looking at planning a holiday to southern ireland to do some tench fishing, any areas recomended? have fished Clare before, some years ago, great place and good fishing but fancy seeing somewhere else.
Cheers Bazmati

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I'n not up to date on Irish fishing but two of the best venues for tench were the two Irish canals, the Royal and the Grand, there were some right clonkers in those two along with some quality bream and rudd. Some of the Shannon backwaters hold big tench too but they aren't quite so prolific these days I believe and the loughs that the Shannon runs through are another well known choice.

I once received a bit of advice off Ray Bowes many years ago, he was a Yorkshireman but ran a great guest house just outside of Portumna, "always ask a local expert whenever you fish in Ireland because they know where to fish at any given time" and it was the best bit of advice I ever had for Ireland. People like me will tell you where and how based on what they did but they don't consider how things change at various times of the year.

My advice to you is to get in touch with an Irish fishing guide via email and get some real advice by someone who really knows, just put fishing in Ireland in google and I'm sure it will throw up something.

Here you go, some advice about venues I've just googled

Last edited:

Fin

Reaction score
Bazmati,

I'm based over in Ireland and am a member of the Tenchfishers - if I can help you out in any way, I'll try my best.

The tench have spread to loads of waters which never previously held them and systems like the erne around cavan are now full of tench. You have the old favourites like Clare, Carrickmacross and the shannon system in places which have always thrown up good tench catches but if I were you and you were looking for something a bit different, I'd look at visiting Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford or Cavan for quieter fishing and if you time it right some serious bags of tench.

I can put you in touch with lads in these areas who can point you in the right direction.

Regards,
Fin

bazmati

Reaction score
Hi Fin
Being trying to work out how to pm you, if you can work it out pm me your email please.

Cheers Baz

maver man

Reaction score
Seeings as we are the topic of Irish venues.
Any one know of any carp holiday resorts?

Cheers,
Adam.

slime monster

Reaction score
I had a "family " boating holiday in Ireland on a narrow boat,we went on the Grand canal and up the Shannon,my fishing time was limited but I managed a Tench or two out of the cut,I was informed that if I had gone the other direction to Edenderry the canal is solid with Tench there.

p.s I was very very drunk at the time

Fin

Reaction score
There aren't many commercial carp fisheries in Ireland but there are a few. I don't know if any of the ones we have do accomodation as well though. There's certainly none like the french fisheries with chalets etc and 60lb carp. The biggest carp in Ireland is probably around 35lb and they were imported from France 6 or 7 years ago.

I would not put Ireland high on a list of destinations if you're only interested in carp fishing. If you fancy wild tench, bream, roach,rudd and pike fishing and don't mind putting a bit of effort in I'd definitely recommend visiting us.

Bazmati - you have a pm.