Barrie Rickards - Sad news

preston96

Reaction score
may i humbly suggest that these posts are all transfered to one thread?

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
One of the giants of the angling world with a voice that was repected by all who knew him. First met him on the Relief Channel in the 60's, last met him at the book signing in Biggeswade for his Walker book, all the time between found him a true gentleman.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Never meet him but feel as I've lost a friend after seeing his enthusiasm for fishing on his video.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Duplicate thread deleted

may i humbly suggest that these posts are all transfered to one thread?

The posts from the duplicate thread have been transferred to this thread and the duplicate thread deleted. If there is a little duplication in one or two posts it doesn't matter as the only thing that does matter is that we pay our respects to the passing of one of angling's foremost ambassadors and a really nice bloke. RIP Barrie, I'll miss you.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Barrie a couple of times and also doing some research for his Walker biography. We'll miss him.

dezza

Reaction score
Barrie and Ray Webb were the inspiration to many new pike anglers.

I have fond memories of fishing with Ray and Barrie on Hornsea Mere in the 60s. On one occasion it was a frightfully cold day with an easterly wind coming right off the North Sea. By about 3-00 pm I was on the bottom boards of the boat and feeling decidedly rough.

Barrie recognised that something was amiss and although a decent pike had warmed me up somewhat, I started to see double and to vomit. Both Barrie and Ray lost no time and got me off the Mere and into a local pub where they massaged my legs and fed me with half a bottle of brandy in front of a roaring fire.

About an hour later I came to my senses and Ray drove me home.

A short account of my plight is detailed in "Fishing for Big Pike", but I was not named.

I have always been grateful to Barrie who recognised the early symptoms of hypothermia.

But for him, I might not be around today.

Frothey

Reaction score
.....but with such a love for fishing he could enjoy battling with a huge pike yet still enjoy fishing for gudgeon.

if that's how an angler finishes his days, then it can't be a bad thing.