Barrie Rickards - Sad news

Terry Harvey

Reaction score
Barrie

If I'm correct his was the first article I read on fishing magic and read most of the rest.
RIP mate and if lucks your way you'll be fishing in heaven.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Message to FishingMagic Members from Barrie's Family

On behalf of his partner Mandy and as Barrie's family, we wanted to thank all of the contributors to FishingMagic for their kind thoughts and to Graham for his wonderful obituary. Barrie was so modest and down played all his achievements, including being an absolutely generous, inspiring and loving family man. It's comforting to know how he touched so many people's lives. We will miss him so very very much.

Rebecca, Lou, Chris, Jon and his much loved granddaughters Fern and Alice.

Keith Armishaw

Reaction score
Tribute to Barrie Rickards

I got in trouble at school for buying Barrie's book 'Fishing for Big Pike' as a prize rather than a boring textbook, and he was a hero of mine ever since. In the last year or so I got to know Barrie, and my wife Sandy and I were fortunate enough to be able to record Barrie talking to Des Taylor on their life and times and many memorable and also amusing experiences. This was done for the charity Angling Heritage that my wife set up to preserve angling's social history by recording different figures and preserving tapes, photos etc. Barrie was a "must record" candidate and this recording is being transcribed into a book, also containing CD's of the interview. All profits raised from the sale will go to the charity to do further recordings.

(The first one was Fred J Taylor and Fred Buller, who has kindly become Patron to the charity with Chris Yates as a Trustee)

The book, when finished will be a fitting tribute to one of the great names in angling of recent years. To misquote Samuel Butler slightly "A man is not dead until he is forgotten", and through the recordings and Barrie's work, this will be a long time yet. We have lost a great ambassador for the sport.

gonefishinsc

Reaction score
I never got to meet Barrie but it is a very sad loss.

Ray Webb was my godfather and along with my dad was the reason I started fishing.

When I was younger my father would tell me some fantastic stories of thier fishing trips.

My thoughts go out to his family

Last edited:

Bully

Reaction score
To use my son's favourite response "oh ****".

Sometimes you feel you know someone well, even though you have never actually met them. Of course in this instance it was through his quite brilliant writing. He expressed far more than fishing knowledge, he just managed to get over what a great bloke he was.......it just came over that way.

I am sure his family and friends will soon smile at his memory and realise how lucky they were to know him........as indeed I am sure many of his readers feel equally lucky that they also "knew" him.

Thanks Barrie..............

Last edited:

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Very sad news and a great loss to angling.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Barrie but felt I knew him through his writing in books and magazines.
RIP

Bill Cox

Reaction score
Sad news indeed, my thoughts are with his family at this terrible time. RIP Barrie.

jb pipes

Reaction score
Barrie Rickards

Have just heard the sad news about Barrie I had the pleasure of meeting Barrie some years ago when he was compiling his book the 10 greats of Pike Angling,for some reason he had my father in amongst the greats. I was able to assist him in
research for my fathers contribution. A charming modest and incredibly knowledegable man who will be sorely missed.
Tony Thurlow-Craig.

GertR

Reaction score
Very Sad News.

My condolences to his family.
Reading what guys are writing he must of been a very special man and a good friend.
I still need to read allot of his writings as i only started recently.
But he will live on to us learning and enjoying his writings.

Thank You Barrie for what you left us with and what you did for the sport.
Gert