Barrie Rickards - Sad news

Colin Brett

Reaction score
It's with deep regret that I have to inform you all that Barrie Rickards passed away today.

I have no more details at present but will keep you informed as and when I hear any more.

Colin

BARRIE RICKARDS OBITUARY

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
That is indeed sad news Colin.
He was an outstanding angler, the man forgot more than I'll ever know about lure fishing. I love watching him perch fishing on a small river.

Condolences to his family.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Very sad news indeed Colin. Barrie was one of those rare breed, a genuine giant in angling, and I was proud to know him. I'm lost for words, except to say at this moment in time, R.I.P. mate. Always remembered.

Derek.

preston96

Reaction score
A very sad day for angling.....i met him a couple of times and found him a gent of the old British school.

Pike anglers owe him a lot of respect.

S

Scott Whatmore

Sad news, my condolances to family and friends.

dezza

Reaction score
Very sad news indeed Colin. Barrie was one of those rare breed, a genuine giant in angling, and I was proud to know him. I'm lost for words, except to say at this moment in time, R.I.P. mate. Always remembered.

Derek.

I can only repeat what Derek has just said.

I first met Barrie in 1963 at the residence of Ray Webb in the early days of the formation of the Northern Specimen Group.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
The great and hugely inspirational Barrie Rickards passed away today. The man responsible for starting me out on the road to being a pike angler.

If ever a sport owed somebody, it is this man. He helped move the species from the hate list of most clubs into our premier sporting fish.

RIP Prof

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Such very very sad news, my deepest sympathies and sincere condolences go out to his family and close friends.

Barrie will be greatly missed in the angling world that he did so much for.

R.I.P.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
My own love of pike fishing began many years ago on purchasing a little paperback book from Woolies penned by the Prof. I can see the pictures and rig diagrams in my mind now.

He was a genuinely nice bloke and a huge influence on the sport. I'm struggling to take it in. I passed his house earlier this evening with no idea of this terrible news.

He is irreplaceable.

God bless you Barrie.

Reaction score
Had many a conversation with him on "The Stones" at Denver many years ago, always found him a real gentleman and a great help. Very sad.

heathbryant45

Reaction score
Gutted, that is very sad news, Barrie was a great guy, last time i was with him we got bladdered. It was i'm sure many years ago that Barrie was insistent on getting my big Zander on the front cover of the NASA mag. There were problems with the pic but in the end he managed to sort it. As Chris mentioned earlier, he is irreplaceable, a true gent in angling and many many people are going to miss him.

You were and still will be an inspiration to many an angler.

RIP mate.

Warren

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Speaking with Patricia Walker a little while ago, I realised what a monumental work Barrie's biography of **** Walker was.

Pat expressed great sadness at Barrie's passing.