Not much, I think its about a quid a kilo from the pet shop

maver man

Reaction score
Cheers mate.
Wow your hemp is cheap it is £2.99 a kilo at my local pet shop :eek:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
.........or about £3 in the tackle shop, not really worth worrying about.
Commercial internet/angling press , type companies will provide unlimited amounts a lot cheaper, but you need space to store it , and the mouse/damp proof containers .
Cheaper to buy a can of ready to use IMHO...............

Why do you ask?

maver man

Reaction score
only asking as i went into my local pet shop today after some birds seeds, vitalin, etc for my summer spod mixes and i found bag of hemp and just thought if this was fairly priced or not.

will spencer

Reaction score
seventeen quid for a twenty five kilo sack.cheaper than in a can imho.i can prepare it my way which i have done for a few years now

will spencer

Reaction score
local seed merchant.maples are 7quid for twenty five kilos.tares are about the same.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

have a look for gjwtitmuss.co.uk
not bright enough to do clicky thing.there not much more pricey than what i pay.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

have a look at there red band about 16 quid for twenty five kilos.bang that in a spod

will spencer

Reaction score
noprobs mate.i will have a look around later for the address of a manufacturer of flavourings that for their price are stupidly cheap

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
have a look at there red band about 16 quid for twenty five kilos.bang that in a spod

thats got me curious, the factory where they make it is on the estate i work on. i wonder what it costs in the factory shop?

i buy all my particles from the animal feeds merchant in my village, where it is silly cheap compared to the "pet shops". i also get a lot of skrettings pellets from there at well below tackle shop prices. pre drilled 8mm halibuts bout £8ish for 5 kilo. less than £1 a kilo if i bought a 25K sack, but iwouldn't use them quick enough, lol.

maver man

Reaction score
Cheers again Will great help ;) :)
Nice one Ben i would love to get hali pellets that cheap :cool:

jcp01

Reaction score
Cheers mate.
Wow your hemp is cheap it is £2.99 a kilo at my local pet shop :eek:

But it is of variable quality...

Usually it's fine but occasionally you do get a dud batch with half the seed nothing but chaff.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right how could i tell this just by looking at it?
Or does it only come apparent once you have started preparing it?

Adam.

will spencer

Reaction score
chaff is usually stalks of the hemp plant dude.have a loo0k for dust as well the longer it's been stored the dustier it is.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right thanks Will will make sure i buy a fresh batch if i do decide to prepare my own hemp ;)

will spencer

Reaction score
have a go mate.here's the way i prepare mine.
soak for 24-36hours,boil until hemp splits,then,put the contents of the pan into a bucket with sealable lid.add a generous handful of salt(you may have to experiment with amounts but you cannot really overdo it).add a couple of teaspoons of sugar and leave overnight until you're ready to fish.i soak mine thursday,boil friday,use saturday.there will be a lot of oil in the hemp water use this to mix your groundbait or add to your pellets.you should create an oil slick when you feed.
the reason i add salt after cooking is that when you boil the hemp you will boil out the salt evaporating it always add it after.this goes for any flavourings or colours you wish to use.

you can add dried chilli flakes after cooking(good handful)or even garlic salts/flakes.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks mate, when i do this i shall most probably split the seeds half and half so i can make one with garlic flakes and the other with chili so i can experiment for half the cost ;)

will spencer

Reaction score
if you're going to fish for carp,pole waggler or lead i normally use luncheon meat on the hook.
try a spice called fenugreek,mix it with garlic spice and dry fry for a few minutes.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks Will, i will most likely add it to my spod mix or use it for fishing the river (feeder), canal (pole) and commies (pole and feeder).