Equality...is 'Diversity' next?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Received my copy of the Angling Trust's mag the other day and reached a bit about 'Equality in Angling'...regardless of age, race, gender etc. O....k, I'll accept that, but if the next or any subsequent edition makes an attempt to stuff diversity down my throat I'll cancel my life membership. If your local mosque's AGM decides to start up an angling section, fine, but I really don't want to be subjected to even more brain-washing: I thought I was safe down at my local pit...

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
EC: They will, EC...they just will. Mark my words.
What's with the Simon Wiesenthal quote?

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Woody: What made you think I am against anybody?

Reaction score
Received my copy of the Angling Trust's mag the other day and reached a bit about 'Equality in Angling'...regardless of age, race, gender etc. O....k, I'll accept that, but if the next or any subsequent edition makes an attempt to stuff diversity down my throat I'll cancel my life membership. If your local mosque's AGM decides to start up an angling section, fine, but I really don't want to be subjected to even more brain-washing: I thought I was safe down at my local pit...

Seriously mate, get a grip!

Unless your family has a pedigree dating back to 1000 years before the Roman invasion, you're on really shakey ground.

The UK has no indigenous peoples, we are an island nation of diverse mongrels...

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

but I really don't want to be subjected to even more brain-washing: I thought I was safe down at my local pit...

If you have been subject to 'brainwashing' I'd suggest you email Crimewatch before the American's take you overseas for torture :wh

Tight lines.

Mods: any chance this kind of stuff gets moved to baitbox?

The bad one

Reaction score
Cliff they have to do such things as a box ticking exercise to get the funding from Sports England.
I share you frustration about this type of PC, probably for different reasons, as I see it as institutional race, sex cultureism. When I have to fill such form in, I write right across them Member of one race, the Human Race!

dezza

Reaction score
I fully agree mate.

Whan I returned to the uk in 1994, they wanted me to fill in a form where it asked me many questions of a racist nature. I put a line through all this **** and said:

Homo sapien

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I always find it interesting that tribalism is accepted generally as friendly banter within most sports (supporting football teams etc) yet outside those arenas it's considered with suspicion as a form of race-hatred. A football or fishing club from Bradford is likely to contain members with a different skin colour to a fishing club from Henley - but they should all be united as one British people. All this twaddle about diversity and multiculturalism is the cause of half the problems. We should have one culture here, a British one, because it's Britain. Not Somalia or Poland or Pakistan. So I actually do have some sympathy with Cliff's views.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We should have one culture here, a British one, because it's Britain. Not Somalia or Poland or Pakistan. So I actually do have some sympathy with Cliff's views.
So do I, my comment was a joke, Cliff. See Di being a Welsh name..... Never mind.

They say Britain is a now a multi-cultural country, but no one asked me if they could change it. Even Poland is largely one culture, in fact one religion also in the main. I say, when in Rome etc. and that has been my policy when I have worked abroad.

A further thought - if all the European countries lost their own self-identity to a mottli-cultural one how would you know where you were? There'd be no point in going anywhere as they'd all look the same, you might end up with a giant minaret standing next to the Eiffel Tower. It would become like Britain's High Streets where all the shops have become Starbucks, M&S, Boots, WH Smiths, and all the other chains. The only ones different would be the charity shops.

Which reminds me, must look for a Xmas pressie for 'er indoors.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
So 'when in Rome', did you convert to the Roman Catholic lifestyle and live accordingly?

If you worked in Saudi did you pray facing Mecca umpteen times a day?

You'd struggle to fit in in Japan I recon.
Alright smart ass! No, I never worked in Rome and you wouldn't have to become a Catholic, just live like the Italians and enjoy their hsitory and lifestyle - that's what "Culture" is - Yorkshire muppet! :p

I worked with Saudis here at the National Commercial Bank of Saudi Arabia and they fitted into our culture very well. And I worked in France, Belgium, Spain and the Nederlands where I tried to learn enough of all their languages to get by at least and I enjoyed their lifestyles. At least they're better than here, no scatty drunken bums on the streets at night.

And again you're wrong, I would probably fit very well into Japanese culture and even their new religion - modern Shintoism. It's what I practise in many ways, being at one with nature and the earth. And I like a bit of sushi. Addendum - one of my clients was Japanese Air Lines, very nice people.

But As for a Paris minaret
wolfman-woody-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture1694-paris-minaret-i-dont-think-so.jpg

I don't think so.

Red Army

Reaction score
If you worked in Saudi did you pray facing Mecca umpteen times a day?

Quite frankly I'd be more worried about not being able to have a proper drink there :mad: and that's why I'm not going to Saudi. If you can't apply the "when in Rome" concept then just stay home...and for me home is not the UK but while I'm here I do as the British do and so far it hasn't been so bad :D

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

hajimi mashte dozo yuroshku onegai shimas

на каждую хитрую жопу есть хуй винтом :d

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Well! It's something of a relief to see that the initial, less thoughtful responses here have been tempered by common sense from those who actually absorbed my very brief sentiments. I am a great advocate of diversity! I rejoice in a world rich in contrasting cultures, languages, colours, customs, dress, cuisine; I travel as often as possible to far-off lands in order to meet and hopefully befriend new peoples and to date I have dined, laughed, swam, danced, fished and lived with Pemon Indians, Warao Indians, Massai tribesmen, Karen (Tibet) Thais, Kiwis and most European peoples. What an awful world it would be without diversity! When I am on my travels I take photographs of the countless wondrous people and things I encounter, and when I get back home I can hardly wait to show them to friends and family...it's so DIFFERENT outside of the UK...It's so...how should I put it? DIVERSE! By stark contrast, the country currently being deconstructed by the government exposed by Andrew Neathers (Labour) as deliberately operating an open-door policy since 2000 is becoming anything BUT diverse! Indeed, ****y, your grandchildren will almost certainly be in a minority-grouping by 2050. I trust nobody here can see anything 'racist' about what I've written so far?
The thing which identifies a 'country' is its people and their identity, and their identity is based on their customs and traditions; their common understanding of domestic affairs and of history; their sense of humour, their music and (unfortunately, I think) their religion. Without this unique identity, what was once a 'country' becomes little more than a land-mass populated by disparate peoples with little in common: the 'social cohesion' so beloved by the likes of Harman becomes an impossible dream. Given time - like, centuries - Blue Mink's 'great big melting-pot' will, I believe, produce the uniformity and relative calm it suggests but we ALL know that a colossal barrier to this bland, uninteresting, Utopian world will NEVER be happy.
My original posting referred not so much to 'diversity' per se, but to the over-bearing, constant, Orwellian brain-beating we get day after bloody day from government organs insisting that we WILL modify our THOUGHTS or we'll lose our jobs / get a criminal record.
So, to put this into context, my greatest love in life is fishing - I've done it all my life. I fish, I think fish, I write fish and, as some will know, I draw fish and fishy cartoons too! To protect our pastime / way of life I long ago joined the ACA (1969?) a non-political organization that had the devil's own job but did enormously successful work: it concentrated its efforts on preventing / prosecuting pollution and did not seek to indoctrinate in any way. So far, the Angling Trust has not sought to indoctrinate, but the signs are there...'Equality in Angling' will soon become 'Diversity in Angling' - not essentially undesirable, but having the message forcibly shoved in your face by government or its agents would be very, very undesirable indeed. And no, this is not a rant. It's a measured and, I believe, widely-held opinion. Right...let's get the gear ready.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yep. We simply can't have diversity on the riverbanks anyway - it would break the laws. That leads to Australians killing carp because they are 'pests', eastern european habits of BBQing the catch or of oriental 'fishing' methods with crossbows, or Romany ones involving deadlines. etc etc. One people, under one law.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
A good and well measured post Cliff, one thing though, is the AT having to jump through these ethnicity hoops because without them there'll be no govt. funding available?
That Harriet Harlot person has a lot to answer for if you ask me. Mongrel race we may be on this island but mongrels are a mix, a blend if you like, I don't see vast numbers of the newcomers blending in, more like standing out and demanding their needs are seen to before the majoritys.
I'll stop here I think.