Barder Rod on e-Bay

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Blimey!! Does it come with 5 years membership on the exclusive Test stretches? I would be frightened to use such a rod in case a big barbel decided to pull the string and maybe damage it.

Mind you Peter it would look rather nice stood against the wall with your other two ;)

Reaction score
Winced a bit at the price but then..it's less than a medium/top range pole and significantly less than a real top of the range pole. Far less than one of them Nikon cameras you all seem to have.:wh

Probably a good investment. (On the cold unemotional side).

Certainly something you would want to cuddle (on the warm emotional spectrum)...cos you'll be out in the cold when your partner finds out!!!

It looks beautiful bit of kit..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

No, the price is just for the rod with its' provenance, and will probably go well over the thousand range.

I am 'thinking' about this one not to add to the wall collection but to use. Actually, those on the wall get used a few times each season too.

Paul,

Gladly I don't have a partner who I have to justify any purchases to, I mean, how can you have a partner and be a Tackle Tart?

Impossible.

b.t.w. I don't like the Nikons so I use a Canon - it is only for snaps and record pictures anyway . . . . .

It is a very interesting rod though and with a little 'history' to it as well.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Was this Rod previously owned by Chris Yates or just used by Chris Yates ?

The reason i ask is, that i can't imagine Chris Yates getting rid of this rod as he loves his Old Tackle .......... :wh

noknot

Reaction score
I wonder how much for a set of three in 3lbs TC, do they come with a pod:D

Seriously, lovely workmanship! I think it said that he used the rod used the rod SV.;)

bendsomecane

Reaction score
£700 for one of the worlds finest hand built rods. it will last you a lifetime. in general use it will be unbreakable and will pull an elephant.!

simply superb.

bendsomecane :)

Rickrod

Reaction score
Are you the seller Bendsomecane......lol

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to Pull an Elephant, can you imagine the Climax.

Hello Bendsomecane are you any relation to Michaelcaine ? :j :D

I thought they were bidding on a Rod held by Chris yates, i Heard George Michael was the highest Bidder >>>>>>>>>>>> :eek:

S

Scott Whatmore

I have no doubt that it is a splendid piece of kit. However how can the seller list it as new when he clearly states it has been owned by at least 2 parties and used?

" The very special thing about this rod is that on a trip to the Hampshire Avon this rod had been used by Chris Yates and he had caught a 12 10z Barbel and the previous owner had landed it for him .This is well documented and the whole story can be found in "Falling in again " by chris yates chapter 27 "lucky star" and to further add to the special nature of the story this was Chris Yates first 12lber . "

captain carrott

Reaction score
should make his mind up it's both new and unused and been used to land 12lb blurble by 2 different people.

ye cannae have both and when it comes down to it it's still 19th century technology

preston96

Reaction score
£700 for one of the worlds finest hand built rods. it will last you a lifetime. in general use it will be unbreakable and will pull an elephant.!

simply superb.

bendsomecane :)

What a load of twaddle....it's a stick.......if you think another angler catching a fish on it makes it special, well i'll keep my opinion to myself!!.....but i will add that a modern rod costing £100 will do all the above, only better ;)

Who moved those elephants in.....was it that Hales and Taylor fellows!! :wh

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
but i will add that a modern rod costing £100 will do all the above, only better

Paul,

You are probably right about some rods from the carboniferous period, but they lack . . . . . well, soul!

The Barder has not been used since the whippings were redone, and anyone who has ever fished with a Barder rod will know exactly why they are a bit special.

dezza

Reaction score
Given the Golden Scale Club provenance I'd have thought our Ron would have been bidding on this one . . . . . . ?

No I can't afford that sort of money. I'm a pensioner now you know.

But I do own a split cane rod now!

Can I hear all the gasps from Salisbury to Paris!

It's one I made myself, an 8 foot #4/5 fly rod for stream fishing next season. I'm very pleased with it. It's lighter than I imagined and it puts out 20 feet of a #5 fly line extremely accurately.

I got the blank and bits and pieces from a well known UK supplier of split cane and rod bulding materials. I used to build rods semi-professionally years ago and it was nice to re-live the old times.

preston96

Reaction score
Paul,

You are probably right about some rods from the carboniferous period, but they lack . . . . . well, soul!

The Barder has not been used since the whippings were redone, and anyone who has ever fished with a Barder rod will know exactly why they are a bit special.

I will have to take your word for it Peter, i have never handled one, but the old rods i have handled couldn't hold a patch on some of the carbon rods i have used........physically or......well spiritually lol.

There is something about the distance and or accuraccy a modern rod can give..........couple that with supreme balance and speed and an action that is unbeliveable and true and i know which one i think has more soul.

If i won the lottery i may buy the Barder to put on the wall :j