Is angling an old mans pastime?

preston96

Reaction score
Angling times recently posed the question and looking at the age of a lot of posters on here it may be true?

So, is Angling the realm of the older man? if so what can we do to pass on it's gifts to the younger generation......are we on a slow downward spiral?

Angling has so much to offer, i hope not, but i do wonder.:(

slime monster

Reaction score
Paul,for sure the youngsters don't get outside as much as the older generation used to at their age and this must lead to less of them on the bank fishing ,they have other distractions now when we had nowt.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The elder generation of Anglers whom have fished since youngsters themselves hold the experience, but, do they hold the Will, and Desire, to pass that knowledge on to impatient young know it all Pups.

I have heard that quite famous Anglers charge anything up to £450 per day for a coaching session, how many people can really afford that ??

Try to find someone willing to teach you for free. It's not impossible, granted, but how often is it available ??

I would be more than happy to teach any willing participant, what little i do know about Angling, so long as they were willing to listen and learn. Granted they wouldn't be instant great anglers, but, they would have a certain ettiquette of courtesy, following fishery rules, a excellent regard for their chosed quarry etc etc etc.

preston96

Reaction score
SM, you are soc on there.....the "hunger" has gone in more ways than one, we would go fishing all day with little more than a jam butty and bottle of squash...if we were lucky....because as you say we had fewer distractions.

Unless we make angling an attraction i fear for it's future.

It may sound daft but we are also losing another great British tradition that had links with fishing.......the "pub"!

I loved to mix with the older guys when i was 18 (ish:wh) the tales of monster pike on the Wye had me mesmerised..........old and young from 18 to 80 mixed then......we have to find a new way to pass it on.:confused:

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

to old men, yes definately. They should all do it. :)

Stop picking on the Old fella........he may be a Brummie, but hey we all have our "things" to carry! :wh

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good question Paul, was it that young Greg Whitehouse that asked the question?

Seriously, how old do you feel Paul? We've fished together and I've seen you go off like a greyhound! I feel like a spring chicken at 43 and still love it as much as when I was 6 years old, more in fact. I was amazed recently to see how old Graham Whatmore is, good on him!

Good point SV

I have heard that quite famous Anglers charge anything up to £450 per day for a coaching session, how many people can really afford that ??

Try to find someone willing to teach you for free. It's not impossible, granted, but how often is it available ??

It's available every time we log on to FM, I've learnt so much from the guys on FM it's unbelievable! I thought I was an okay angler when I joined FM, little did I know what was in front of me.....
I'm just grateful we've got the older and younger experienced anglers on FM willing to share their knowledge and friendship with complete strangers. I've even learnt a few things from Paul, perch and lobs on climbers......

So, is angling an old mans pastime?

NO way! Age brings wisdom, but the learning curve never ends...........

preston96

Reaction score
Me a Greyhound?? ...... i used to be like a whippet! :wh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I wonder if the lack of 20 to 45 year old anglers is due to the child-centric society in that whereas years ago the man of the house went fishing on a Saturday/Sunday and the kids amused themselves or went out on their bikes to play football/go fishing/etc. Nowadays the man of the house is expected to be the taxi to take the kids to the 'activities'. That leaves the youngsters to fish/single blokes in their 20s/30s carp fishing/old blokes who are keenest without kids to worry about. Just a thought.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was independant research in this weeks Angling Times, it said only 9% of anglers were under 30, 15% 30-39, and 24% 40-49. 50 and above 52%.
What it didn't say, was how many took part in the survey!

Last edited:

BarryC

Reaction score
One problem is that most young anglers will only come from families that fish.
Not many parents would be prepared to regularly spend time at the waterside with their kids unless they themselves fish.
Most parents would be loath to allow their kids to go off on their own fishing as I used to or to spend time in the company of unknown adults.
Most parents would be quite happy to take their youngsters to football, rugby, horseriding or whatever and get some enjoyment from watching them perform, but fishing aint so enjoyable to watch.