The Rigs Page ? Rik?s Helicopter Rig

R

Rodney Wrestt

I use silicone tubing and lock it in place with a piece of cocktailstick as ledger stops, you can adjust the pressure required to move them by using different diameters of tubing.

C

Clive Evans

I use braid a lot and found that split-shot, ledger stops or rubber stops, just wont stay in place.
The simplest answer I have found, is using the biggest split-shot I can get away with, open the shot, trap it against finger with the line, bring the line round the finger and over the shot again, close the shot tight and pull the line either side to bring the loop to the back of it. The shot will not move easily but it will slide off the line if it breaks. Obviously, on a two-hook rig you do this twice.
On braid this doesn't appear to cause damage to the line. Not sure if mono would suffer, but then you dont need it on mono anyway.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Clive,
Have you tried using powergum for a stopknot, Maybe it would have enough friction in it to hold?

R

Ross Turner

Try using a piece of 1mm in side dia silicone tube of about 4mm.
1,Thread line through silicone tube,pull to place you require stop not.
2,Then thread the line through exactly the same way,pull the line so it forms a loop around the silicone.
3,Pull line tight slowly & you will see thr tubing turn in on its self giving you a reliable movable stop knot.
Sea anglers use it for making adjustable snoods on rigs,so i bet it will work with this rig.

P

Paul Williams

I think you will find that Riks reason (and mine)for the style he uses is to try to make a non tether rig.......remember a bream or roach can't pull like a carp if it has to free itself from a rig.

C

Clive Evans

Paul,
Ross' silicone got me thinking. Not good for braid (which would cut through it) but the principle is the same. However, if we used a tiny rig-ring as a stop, it wont move while the line is under tension, but after a break the line would be loose and would slide off with the lightest of pulls. Dont forget that the fish, on a break, is pulling away from the feeder which is the snaggy bit, towards the break.
Even if you put the line through an extra time to make it more secure for casting, it would still come loose very easily because there is no knot involved. It would also be easy to adjust position/s in place after tying. This would work for both mono and braid.
What do you think. Is there a problem I haven't thought of?