Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm glad somebody else thinks the oft-quoted remark that a helicopter rig causes a too-acute angle where the hooklength comes away from the main line is rubbish. I mean, you can hardly get a more acute angle than where the line goes round the eye of a hook or swivel on a hooklength can you?

Cheese Paste Guest

Whats the benefits of an helicopter rig then?

Stephen Mc Cormack Guest

Forgive my innocence but is this rig only for use on still waters ? as in any sort of flowing water wouldn't the bait juust keep spinning.

Carp Angler Guest

Firstly you get a reasonably tangle free bolt rig.
    Secondly, with the feeder presentation, you're not fishing a potential tether rig like the fixed paternoster.
    Some also say that you also have less things dangling <ooeeerr> with less chance to catch in weed or snags.
    I feel the last point is open to debate.

john conway Guest

When the rigs on the bottom and settled down, imagine a straight line from your feeder to your rod tip. The hook length in flowing water will take up a position stationary down stream of your feeder, unless you are in very fast water, were it may flutter a wee bit. But it will not rotate. Unless you are in extremely fast water such that the bait is lifted off the bottom and even then it is the swivel that would be turning not the hook bait spinning around the line.

Carp Angler Guest

Steve,
    the pressure of the flow will make the swivel lay against the beads and cease any rotation.

I have used this rig on rivers, but it wouldn't be my first choice on fast flowing rivers.
    Deep, wide rivers (e.g. John Conway on the Lune after those bream) would be ideal for this rig.

Carp Angler Guest

aha, John beat me to it.

john conway Guest

If you move the top two float stops up so that you have a foot or so gap between the beads then you’ve very quickly converted your rig into a free running rig. Like Rik says it’s a very versatile rig.

Stephen Mc Cormack Guest

Thanks John & Carp Angler, I was thinking of using it on my local Canal, theres only a slight flow so it should work fine, I'm hoping to target some big Roach hiding under some canal boats, this might just be tha answer.

Carp Angler Guest

Keep us informed Steve.
    You might want to replace the feeder with a trilobe style lead, these tend to plane under water and may well dive further under the boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast