Shock Regular FM Contributor actually goes fishing and catches nice fish!!!

Reaction score
As promised (threatened) in another thread (I Tried and Failed) -Spiders and I drove through the lanes to the Macclesfield Canal full of hope and anticipation. Equipped with chocolate bars, crackers and Shropshire Blue,flasks full of hot water with the milk and teabags separate, our new Xmas chairs, and.....err..some fishing tackle.

Getting there we were stopped in our tracks....t'cut was still frozen!! The only clear water was in t'area near t' boatyard. Th water was as clear as we've ever seen the canal. Still the air felt warm.

This was soon revealed to be as a consequence of walking the 200 yards to the chosen swim and carrying gear. Within half an hour Spiders blue bubble wrap over-suit was proving to be inadequate in deterring icicles. His float shuddered twice..a bite or a sympathetic reaction to Spiders increasing realisation that it was too cold for any sane persons. A view reflected by the looks we received from the various walkers along the tow-path.

During a conversation with one of these walkers, a shout of "It's going under" from Spiders resulted in Poshers lifting the 3 metre wand and landing a splendid roach of 1oz. How nice of Spiders to watch my float whilst I'm in conversation!!!

No further action resulted in Poshers reaching for his lure gear. Now this normally refers to the leather harness, mask and other implements necessary to entertain the wenches of Edgeley as they pine for the return of Elwin. However, as it was far too chilly for this, he had brought along his lure rod and a few temptations. More in despair than hope a shad was cast into the few gaps of clear water. Nothing!! Nothing!!

"Try casting along the length of the canal" said Spiders, eyeing the route back to the car! The length of the canal being the 30 clear yards of water!!!

Poshers impressed Spiders with his deadly accurate casting, dropping the shad inches from the far bank foliage and jigging it back with an action reminiscent of Alf Ippytitimus. The skill with which he idly tossed the lure into the far bank tree, casually walked along the bank and with a little twitch the shad plopped back in the canal.

Suddenly Poshers quietly stated, "I think I may have something on"! Thinking it was a small jack pike he started reeling in. As the quarry came up from the depths (o.k so it's only 4 ft deep there but...)....Spiders exclaimed..."I'll get the landing net."

The perch didn't have the sharply defined colour of a clear water fish but the reds, oranges and vermilions of it's fins made up for that and more.

It was initially weighed at two and a quarter pounds but a second weighing on Spiders super accurate scales revealed it was close to 23lb!:wh

poshpaul-angling-trust-and-pasc--albums-poshers-selected-shots-picture1734-canal-perch3-450-x-338.jpg

So to paraphrase our Claudia...we tried and I succeeded.

I've got to say thanks to Derek...and I hope he's got some feelings back in his extremities!!

poshpaul-angling-trust-and-pasc--albums-poshers-selected-shots-picture1735-canal-perch-5-450-x-338.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Matt,

Yes I'm not sure why. They are in my FM gallery and I have inserted the http address into the "Insert Image" bar and it doesn't appear. Whatever happened to the old simplicity of "cut and paste"??

(Still not sure about tonight...I'll contact Derek again this morning...he wasn't certain yesterday!! Then he was, then he wasn't...it was probably the cold!!)

Reaction score
There's no perch picture in your gallery. I suspect you have it set up for private viewing only. It needs to be set for public viewing to appear in a post.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Well done that man, it was that cold the ice had frozen, and i had a 3inch icicle hanging

Reaction score
Nice fish.

I see Spiders received a new chair for crimbo. Makes a change to the deck chair he knocked p in his garage.

The piece of bespoke Hepplewhite seen in the background is actually my Xmas present - surprising light for the roving angler who still expects high levels of comfort.(which actually means ageing idiot with a ****y back!)

Spider's did get a new chair from the same manufacturer...his is the apprentice piece!

Windy

Reaction score
Nice fish, but definitely even more interested in that excellent looking chair.... what sort is it ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice fish, but definitely even more interested in that excellent looking chair.... what sort is it ?

It looks like the Korum DeLuxe Accessory Chair to me.

The New Style one with the flashy cover, unlike the old style that had the 'fisherman green' coloured cover.

Great chairs, and a mass of accessories to mount on them . . . . . . . but a little on the heavy side, you can get the same functionality from the Lightweight Accessory Chair, IMHO.

see: www.korum.co.uk/chairs.php

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Ha - spot the tackle tart (Mr Jacobs!). Nice fish Paul, but you really need to talk to your antique dealer. That chair looks like a poor copy of an early Chippendale to me. I knew that woodwork O level would come in useful one day!

J K

Reaction score
Well done Poshers that's a nice Perch. The amount of clothing you're wearing it looked like a cold day.

Reaction score
Well done Poshers that's a nice Perch. The amount of clothing you're wearing it looked like a cold day.

Yep! - At long last I was able to sport the special Round the World Yachtsman Southern Ocean Special balaclava the lad got me about two years ago

It really took it out of Spiders - he seemed a little happier today...although I did him on the perch again...about 1lb 8ozs today...this one's fins were scarlet...so Matt there are at least 2 fish in t'cut! (hopefully piccie to follow)