Countryside Alliance March

P

Paul Williams

Let me first say that i have no desire to see hunting banned, i was bought up on rabbiting, have done a little shooting and a few things that perhaps i shouldn't, i have no problem with the whole package.
What i do have a problem with is the way that my favourite pasttime of all is being DRAGGED into the debate, after i posted my mail this morning i listened to the radio on the way to the river, again a CA representive was using angling as an excuse not to ban hunting!! the CA have done nothing yet from what i have heard to treat us as an allie, rather they throw accusations about our sport to deflect the flack from themselves! one comment was that we snatch fish from their enviroment, rip large hooks from them and that they usually die!!!! and this from a hunter!!!
I cannot join forces with these people, not because i am against them but because they appear to be against us!!

G

Gareth Lewis

I have got to admit that i do not wish to see hunting banned. Some of my friends are employed directly and indirectly with the fox hunts. These include stable persons, farriers and hedge layers.
What country pursuits are to be targeted next?
How long before angling in all its forms are targeted ?

S

Steve Baker

Just a few quotes from this message board with no names.

"One of the most interesting aspect of this subject is that by far the majority of anglers who object to us joining up with the CA are match anglers."

"One of angling's greatest game anglers: Hugh Falkus believed that to catch fish that were inedible was wrong. He strongly objected to trout anglers returning their catches on the grounds that it was immoral. He was passionately opposed to match angling, keepnets and catch and release."

Why do we need the antis when we are condeming each others fishing between the different types? Why does the renowned game angler think it is wrong or immoral to catch fish and then release them? and what makes him the one of the greatest when he makes stupid comments like that?

"I'm up ready to go out piking, i have the TV on, a guy in a suit has just been siding with the hunt side, his main comment was WHY DON'T THEY BAN FISHING !!!!!....I'll not now be siding with these guy's. This is the second time i have heard them try to us my sport as a lever, the first time it was Michael Hesaltine!!!!"

Interesting isnt it that the bloke said why dont they ban fishing in defence of his own sport? I used to do this as a school boy "but miss hes not wearing his tie" to get sombody else in trouble or the spot light on him instead of me.

How many of you voted labour in the last general election? well there is millions of anglers in the country, thousands of tackle dealers and hundreds of manufacters and their employees... if fishing is banned millions of lost votes. Millions of lost revenue, thousands of people out of work claiming dole and lots of lost revenue for the EA. oops and i nearly forgot more land for housing developments.

"By linking fishing with country sports, there is the risk of greater publicity and, thus, greater public opinion swelling against it. Why risk this? Surely it would be far better to separate ourselves from these people, and not draw attention to our sport?"

I whole heartedly agree with this statement, however we sould all get together to protect our sport so when the anti idiots start on angling properly we can nip it in the bud asap. After all attack is the best form of defence.....

G

Gareth Lewis

Right, if we are going to march in support of the countryside allaince. Lets put aside our differences, I know some of you object to fox hunting, and to shooting live game. So lets march togather as anglers, enblock.
Maybe, the angling bodies and/or angling media can organise an assembly point for all anglers to begin from.So that we can represent ourselves,seperataly from the hunters an shooters. So that we may get our point across to the general public.

R

Ron Clay

Yes Gareth I agree.
Angling to me has always been a country sport, a field sport if you like. I grew up amongst a farming community in Notts. The hunt on Boxing day, shooting and fishing were all part of the same way of life. We were a community bound by these traditions just as much as being in church on a Sunday, singing in the choir and being at the annual pie and pea supper and harvest festival dance.
I remember fondly the days when I would join the beaters for the pheasant shoots and I even got off with one of the local squire's daughters.(That's another story). In addition, our local vicar was part of it all. He loved to shoot as well as catch the odd pike.
Hunting shooting and fishing, to me are part of our English heritage. There are powerful forces out there, fanatics who want to destroy these great traditions.
I lived for 27 years of my life in South Africa. There, the people tended to look upon the chasing of foxes in red coats on horseback as something silly that only the poms did. Real hunting was with a rifle, just as it is in the USA. To a certain extent I shared those beliefs and did tend to look down on fox hunting when I returned to the UK some 6 years ago. What changed my mind was reading that lovely story "Wild Lone" the story of a Pytchley fox written by BB. I would ask you all to read this book. It encompasses all that the English countryside and rural way of life means.

A

Alex Bangert

One thing that I think is worth pointing out is that this Countryside Alliance march is also being called "The march for freedom". This name is important. I actually heard about it over Christmas, when my father said that he would be attending. Not because he hunts, or fishes, or feels inclined to; he doesn't. What he objects to is being dictacted to as to what he can and can't do in the name of leisure. Persuits which have been traditional over centuries are in danger of being outlawed. I know that a number of you who have expressed concern about siding with Countryside Alliance, also agree with the sentiment of not being dictated to.
Personally I believe that it's wishful thinking to hope that (if and) when fox hunting is banned, the meddling antis won't push ahead on the case of angling with renewed vigour. On the contrary, they will be fuelled by the success.
As for hunters who have pointed the finger at angling, suggesting that it should be banned too, I would guess it's probably a very misguided way of pleading for support. No doubt they recognise as Steve Baker points out above, that with 4 million anglers in the UK, from all walks of life and political background, we are a force that they could really do with having onside.
In summary, I think that if you dislike the Countryside Alliance it's not the issue on this occasion. I think Graham Marsden was spot on when he said "our only chance is in numbers and power".
Fox hunting is the thin end of the wedge. Our beloved angling will be next, and don't think it'll stop there. The antis will never be happy - pidgeon fancying, falconry, greyhounds.... what's next? Your guess is as good as mine.

A

Andy J.

So how many people are they expecting on this march anyway? Not from FMagic, but altogether?

G

Gareth Lewis

Is there an agreed assembly point , for all the anglers to start from yet?
I have heard rumours about ther being one. But nobody that i have spoken to can confirm or deny this.
If we are not carful,we are going to lose out to apathy again.

A

Alex Bangert

Did anyone attend the march in the end? Did it get affected by the Foot and Mouth epidemic?
I know that central London isn't out of bounds, but I was more wondering if Countryside Alliance had too much on their plate with F&M to muster large numbers of marchers in force?