Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ron Clay Guest

How many of you will be joining the March on London on March 18th?
    I will definetly be there.

Alan Cooper Guest

Do you have any details Ron? Times, where from etc? I'd like to go but I am limited to am only.

Steve Baker Guest

Just a question, why are you joining the march?

I watched pet rescue tonite and a swan had a hook in its neck and line down its throat. The RSPCA bloke on there was saying how disgusting it was that anglers leave fishing line about with barbed hooks on them even though the hook in question was not barbed. This paint all anglers in a bad way as the public are like sheep and believe what the see and hear on tv. Have any of you out there ever heard anything positive said about anglers?

Have any of you ever been aproached by anti angling idiots? if you have the next time you have trouble ask them if they eat meat.......and if they think how our food animals are killed is any better? As most anglers look after their fish, photograph them and let them go.

Paul Williams Guest

Steve, anglers who leave hooks and line are ****heads! they have no right to be on the bank's, the only thing we can do is keep pushing that point home,and ban them if they are caught!
    On your second point you will never ever reason with them, i have had contact and it ain't worth the effort...just concentrate on recruiting anglers and telling all of the good points.

Malcolm Bason Guest

QUOTE: "I watched pet rescue tonite and a swan had a hook in its neck and line down its throat. The RSPCA bloke on there was saying how disgusting it was that anglers leave fishing line about with barbed hooks on them even though the hook in question was not barbed. This paint all anglers in a bad way as the public are like sheep and believe what the see and hear on tv."

I agree with you totally Steve - The general publics (non-anglers) view regarding it is tainted by what they see on tv and what they read elsewhere. They can be like sheep, and in this connection, would taint anglers with the hunters and shooters of this country. Therefore, in my humble opinion, it would be wrong to join the Countryside Allince march.

It has only been called that by the hunting faction to try and incorporate other sports so their numbers are swelled artificially. Public opinion has always been against hunting with hounds, however public opinion against it has grown significantly since the publicity raised concerning it.

By linking fishing with country sports, there is the risk of greater publicity and, thus, greater public opinion swelling against it. Why risk this? Surely it would be far better to seperate ourselves from these people, and not draw attention to our sport?

Malcolm Bason Guest

I agree also Paul, that anglers leaving behind hooks and line are what you called them - and worse, far worse!!!

Of the two clubs from which I have purchased season tickets, niether have emphasised the great importance of clearing up when one leaves the river bank or lake side - greatly important for the dangers to wildlife as well as common-sense and courtesy to all others concerned. One club have stated each member is to clear rubbish within 10 yards of his/her swim - but this imo is NOT enough. It needs to spelled out why!

Carp Angler Guest

Listening to the radio this morning and some MP said that the results of three major polls shows that the general public are more in favour of the middle ground option on the hunting bill.
    That's the one where the hunters are governed by a seperate statute body.
    Only a small percentage are in favour of a total ban.
    Will the MP's listen?
    Probably not, they think that banning hunting will make them appear more personable and trendy.

I'm no great lover of hunting, but I wouldn't impose my will on others.

clive mansfield Guest

To Malcolm.
    I read with interest your thoughts on the subject of the Alliance March. You may feel that by burying our heads in the sand we will be safe from the Antis but I can assure you that you are very wrong. I suggest you study the web site www.anti-angling.com/ It may just alter your view. Lets all enjoy our fishing.....While we still can.

Malcolm Bason Guest

Hello Clive. Thank you for your comments and the link. I have had a look at the anti's site - quite comprehensive isn't it? I certainly don't think that we should bury our heads in the sand, as you put it - on the contrary - but I think we should do something about it when the time is right! I just do not think there is anything to be gained by associating ourselves with country/blood sports! The bill going through parliament is the abolition of hunting with hounds - what has that to do with angling?

Steve Baker Guest

Why do we need to associate with the countryside alliance? Town people make up a big part of the fishing community aswell. What i think we need to do is start to promote our sports good points like conservation, pollution control not to mention thatt all these new comercial carp fisheries that have sprung up play an important part of the contryside fragile ecology. The fact is you set up a new water it is very soon colonised by invertebrates, weed then birds of all types (including the much loved swans). If fishing was banned what would happed to these waters? Would they be left to nature? No chance the land owner would probably sell the land to housing company which would fill in the water and build houses on top aiding to the countrysides destruction.

If you look after the fish in the water you look after the countryside, eg bankside vegetation for nesting birds, newts, frogs and toad which are all starting to get rare in these times of pond destruction.

We dont need to comit ourselves to one organisation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast