fox hunting

M

Malcolm Bason

Hello Vince. I mentioned the "Countryside Alliance" thread to you because, bearing in mind the content of your first posting, it was relevant! I suggest you read my comments on there! I agree with Paul's last posting on this thread - everyone else want to tell everyone else what they should and should not do. I will add that these sort of people can be found in all aspects of our society. There will always be those who shoot their mouth's off BUT DO NOTHING and there will always be the few who actually do something! If you feel so strongly about changing the whole angling set up in this country Vince, then get yourself known, get yourself involved and get yourself in a position where you can have an influence!

Best wishes, and good luck!

A

Alexander Bangert

As anglers, I don't think we have as much to worry about, as our friends who enjoy fox hunting. Dave Cooper hit the nail on the head when he said that we need "a centralised and cohesive political voice that speaks powerfully for anglers". I believe that in this case (regardless of usual political biases) the government are pampering to the anti's, and doing something that they think will appeal to the masses in order to gain popularity points. Banning fox hunting is a PR exercise. I pity the decent folk who have enjoyed the social occasion offered to them by fox hunting for centuries. However, I think that with about 4 million anglers in the UK, it will be some time before any government would seek to outlaw our sport? Perhaps I'm being naive?

Having said the all that, I think that Paul Williams has made a very pertinent point. Why shouldn't we all be able to fish as we choose - rather being dictated to on the matter, by point scoring politicians. I'm not suggesting a lawless society, but I think there are many more important socio-economic problems in this country and in the rest of the world, that our government (regardless of party) should focus their attentions on.

A

Alex Bangert

Thanks chaps. I'm afraid I had a bit of a rant on the 'Countryside Alliance' thread too, which you may or may not agree with.

V

vince battams

graham,i am not looking for us to get favours from the general public,but if they see us making efforts within our sport to be a little less barbaric than what the anti's portray us to be,then they in turn will look on the anti's in a different light and that is half the battle won.
times are changing ,anglers should evolve,we should be more conservation minded and fish friendly which we are already doing.
yes we should be appeasing those outside the sport,if we are seen to be making changes that will please the non angling public and will in turn makes us feel better as anglers.
i disagree with you when you say that all the anti's are against us for is sticking hooks in fishes mouths and the rest is insignificant,all aspects of are equally significant in the eye of the angler and the anti's.

V

vince battams

paul,i agree with what you are saying in part ,but we should find common ground that is acceptable to both parties.
also i am not saying i don't want you livebaiting or using three rods,in a ideal world i would love too,but like you said the society we are in things have to change.
anyway why do you want to livebait ?,why do you want to use three rods ?.
as for steve pope his comments were made as he seemed fit,his decision to air his views privately to me and not via this thread does not mean he should be judged differently,again its a society thing are you telling him how he should air his views ?

V

vince battams

malcolm,yes will read your comments on the other thread.
hopefully through this thread i will start getting myself known,guess i'm already treading on a few toes,tough,i am as passionate about this sport as thr next man though and although my views may differ compromise will eventually lead to a united front,those that don,t like compromise can always take up golf.

V

vince battams

alex,well spoken,although i do not think we are being dictated to yet by point scoring politicians on how we should fish,not yet anyway.
but we should get our house in order,defend all corners as one then we will be in a position where we will be the ones dictating.

P

Paul Williams

Vince, how do you fancy a pike trip? i'll use 2 or 3 rods with live bait and you use one rod with deadbait? that's the only way i can put my point over, fair point about Steve, it's just that he ain't usually shy when he has a point to make!
I still don't think i over reacted with the worms and maggots mate, i have come into contact with these "anti's" they are very manipulative and they can turn the image of a worm into something kids will want to cuddle!!!!!!

V

vince battams

paul,love a pike trip but how about first two rods each you on livebaits,me on deads,then when i've beat you i'll gladly fish one rod against your two/three rods to prove a point.
as for kids cuddling worms is that not what they do before putting them in their mouths.
i have had on one occasion come across an anti,but i'll tell you what is worse ignorant anglers and litter louts.

P

Paul Williams

Vince, it was YOU who said that multiple rods should be banned!!!! why then do you want to use 2 now???? to be honest i can't follow your reasoning,so i'll sleep on it.

V

vince battams

yes and i also said in an ideal world i'd use multiple rods,and i would to prove to you initially that deadbaits work better than livebaits,then i'd fish one rod to your two to prove another point.
sleeptight don't let the anti bed bugs bite

M

Malcolm Bason

Hello again Vince. With all respect, posting messages on this thread will not get you known! Go and enter many, many matches, give up your day job - fish for a living on the proceeds from winning all those matches - beat the 'big boys' at their own game - you will then become known, you will then become respected as a top angler and, thus, your views (maybe) will be taken on board. You will then be in a position to inspire others.

On here you are respected as a fellow human being - a fellow angler - your thoughts and opinions are respected also. However, the same may not be said for those in some form of position to have an influence over how angling is run. I am not by the way making derogatory remarks about the 'known' - I am just trying to be realistic about the whole thing!

Best wishes!

V

vince battams

michael,become known by giving up my job,fishing for a living,beating the big guns.
if mates of mine read this they'll be posting threads on here mate to tell you to give up your day job and become a comedian,you'll have them in stitches.

M

Malcolm Bason

Vince - please read the following YOUR WORDS -:

"hopefully through this thread i will start getting myself known,guess i'm already treading on a few toes,tough,i am as passionate about this sport as thr next man though and although my views may differ compromise will eventually lead to a united front,those that don,t like compromise can always take up golf."

Vince, from the above quote, one can see it was you who said you would start getting yourself known! What could you possibly mean by this other than to put your views across re: changing the angling set up in this country? I was simply explaining on my last posting Vince, the ONLY way to become known! Why would you giving up your day job to become a full time angler be so funny to your mates? You are obviously a very confident, and probably a superb angler - after all you said to Paul you would beat him and his 2 or 3 rods, with your one! "Just to prove a point" you said!

With all respect Vince, you have said a lot, but explained very little!

V

vince battams

michael,why would giving up my day job to become a full time angler be funny to my mates,er they've seen me fish,confident more like pessimistic optimist.
and i agree with you my mouth does a lot of miles,but never seems to get me anywhere,i shall keep championing my thoughts on angling on how it should be run and maybe some day soon on this very site there will be a thread ,"didn't i say that ?"

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Vince

you wrote -",i am not looking for us to get favours from the general public,but if they see us making efforts within our sport to be a little less barbaric than what the anti's portray us to be,then they in turn will look on the anti's in a different light and that is half the battle won."

Are you related to John Bailey? Do you think what we do is barbaric? If you do, then you should do what Mr. Bailey ought to do and stop fishing, period.

I don't think fishing is barbaric, whether with or without livebaiting, whether with or without multiple rods. We have nothing to justify, nothing to ban.

I want to be allowed to do what I do, in any shape or form that is currently lawful. Anything less, to appease a non-fisherman, is a blatant disrespect of my freedom of choice. You can choose not to do these things if you want to, but don't expect all anglers to follow you. In fact, I think you will be in a small minority.

V

vince battams

dave,no relation for starters,i am not saying fishing is barbaric if thought it was i would not fish,the anti's are the ones who say it is barbaric and this is what they are trying to portray to the general public.
it seems to me that i may be in a minority but those of you who are bleeting on about why should we ban livebaiting,mutiple rods etc, are selfish and are only thinking of yourselves and the present time in angling,you are not thinking of your sport and for the many generations that will hopefully come into fishing and keep it alive when we are long gone.
ban is a harsh word i know but we must appease,we must readdress issues affecting our sport from inside and out,we must make changes,some maybe subtle like a return to a blanket closed season on all waters,some maybe harsh like banning livebaiting.
anglers must vote themselves on how they want their sport to go,the ea have a database of all anglers with valid licences,this should be made available to the nfa,naa or whoever and vote on these issues,carry the votes of the majority and drop the votes of the minority but vote on all the seperate issues that are tearing this sport apart from the internal wrangling and from the outside with what the anti's are trying to do.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Vince - QUOTE:

"i shall keep championing my thoughts on angling on how it should be run"

- I have to respect you for this! Whilst we will all continue to 'agree to disagree' on here - we are all linked by the common bond that is ANGLING! For this reason, I wish you well in your endeavours - whatever they may be!