Is angling a 'sport'?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Many times we hear people say angling isn't a sport it's a pastime, or whatever else they choose to call it.

Here's the real answer: 'sport' comes from Victorian times when the word referred to the sporting chance in hunting, shooting and fishing. In schools they had 'games' rather than sports.

So there you are, we're more entitled than most to call angling a sport!

I just thought I'd share that with you........

S

STUART JOHNSON

VICTORIAN TIMES. Crikey I didn't realise you were that old.

R

Ryan Turner

The type of people who say "it isn't a sport it's a pastime" find it hard to understand that you don't necessarily have to be in competition against someone else for it to be sporting. We are using and competing with nature where as the "real sportsmen" use little white balls and holes to compete against each other. Hmmm.

N

Neil Wayte

Fishing isn't a sport it's an addiction.According to the wife anyway.

V

vince battams

its a sport if you a matchman,its a pastime if your a pleasure angler,if your a speccy hunter then its a bloody addictiion

R

Robby Robinson

I agree with Vince. When I am fishing with wife and kids I am trying to catch any fish and it is more casual.
When fishing alone I am after trophy fish and the game becomes more serious.
I use all my skills and knowledge to catch and then release 50 pound fish.

Catchabiggun,
Robby

M

martin BATEY

Never fished a match in 20 years. If I don't catch? So what! Definetly a hobby to me.

C

Carp Angler

I know it should be a hobby, but it's definitely a way of life, possibly bordering on disease

V

vince battams

carp angler,definately not a disease,diseases are nasty,fishing is not.

J

Jonathan Faro

Sport,hobby,pastime who gives a Sh*t all that matters is were doing it

V

vince battams

jonathan,we should all give a sh*t,its our sport,hobby or pastime,but for how much longer ?

J

Jonathan Faro

I firmly believe fishing wont be banned due to the legisticts. I reckon there are around 3 million people who fish. Possibly a lot more I'm being conservative. Add to that anouther 2 million who have the gear but dont fish. Thats 5 million people. if they on averge have ?200 worth of gear thats ?1000 million (a billion if I'm right). That woudl need to be compensated. Then there the millions in stock from shops. Also there would be an uprising. Most people see fishing as a pastime which is almost part of our heratage and would stop a ban. Add to that all th3e famous names Vinnie Jones, Chris Tarrent, David Seamen etc.

Anyway I was just saying in my last mesage we don't need a definition

Bye

Jonathan