National Rod Licences.........

M

Malcolm Bason

The National Rivers Authority - formed in 1989, in part, from the 10 independent Water authorities - introduced the single national rod licence. This, now known as the Environment Agency fishing rod licence, is valid from 1st April until 31st March.

A bit long-winded I know, but I'm now getting to the point: The one 'Season Book' I purchased this past year was from Northants Fisheries - this runs from 1st June until 31st May.

Why oh why can they not produce season tickets/books to coincide with the National Rod Licence? Yes, I know the immediate answer is that these season tickets/books cover rivers as well as lakes, and the Close Season runs from 15th March to 15th June, but this does not obviously apply to the vast majority of lakes. Therefore, why can't they tie in with EA's rod licence?

A

andrew jackson

Hey Malcolm whats the problem? Gives you two months to make sure you have renewed your licence. Besides anybody fortunate to have Northants ticket, should forfit any right to complain about any thing.

M

Malcolm Bason

It would be even more convenient to go and purchase both on the same day :)

S

Stewart Bloor

Can see your point Malcolm, but if everything was renewable at the same time then we'd have anglers complaining that it was too expensive, all in one go !!
For myself, just for example, this season, I get my BAA card in Jan, rod licence in April and Luton card in June. It's nicely spaced out.
Bit I can see your point, even though I do prefer it the way it is now.

G

Goose Ganderton

What the hell does it matter when the EA rod licence starts. the world and his mother knows that they run out on the 31st of March. I'm sure the EA/clubs would change all their dates so Malcolm can save a couple of bob on his bus fare. Dont be such a moaning old mini. Is this really the level of topic that this forum has stooped too. God help us all.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Each to his own Goose, and don't blame the Forum, you, and everyone who posts to it, set how low or high it stoops.

Like any Forum it's here to give EVERYBODY a chance to express an instant opinion, or make a comment, and you're going to get a wide variety of messages posted. What's important to one person will be insignificant to another, but that's the name of the game.

R

Ron Clay

Since I have lived back in this country I have heard all sorts of whinges regarding the National Rod Licence. As for me I think it's great, having one licence that enables you to fish all over England and Wales, and with two rods too. I the old days you had to carry several rod licences, and two of them if you wanted to fish two rods. If you lived near Sheffield where I did the number of licences requied were horrific

M

Malcolm Bason

I'm so sorry to have disappointed you Goose! I'll try not to bring the forum down to such a low level again! For your information - I was not 'moaning' but simply pointing out the difference. Some people have chosen to offer a reasoned answer to my question on this thread! I would prefer to purchase both at the same time, but obviously others who spend a lot of money on different books prefer the cost to spread over the year - I can appreciate that. And, furthermore, I respect their views. What are your views Goose? Perhaps I might just respect those too?

M

Malcolm Bason

Hello Ron, one of the reasons I wanted to start this thread in the first place was because of the confused state of affairs the rod licencing system was in prior to the NRA producing ONE licence for the whole country! I just thought, that at that time perhaps more liaison could have taken place to ensure the start date of the new licence corresponded with the start date of the majority of season tickets/club books? Or perhaps they did? I don't know? Perhaps someone will put me right on this - someone like GOOSE for instance?

R

Rob Brownfield

Rod Licence???..hahahah..whats that then?I havent bought one in 15 years!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Better explain, we dont have them in Scotland. I do get a weekly one when down in England fishing, but I am a little confused as to why an angler has to pay for the right to fish, then pay the owner for the privalige to fish?? Why do boat users, who cause pollution and bank erosion, not have to pay for the use of a river?

S

Stewart Bloor

Phew, Rob, you had me worried then...I thought you were going to spout out some real controversial stuff. That's a relief...

C

Carp Angler

I used to have to buy a Thames, a Southern and a Wessex, complete and utter rip-off.
It's better for me now that it's all under one licence but I have to agree that I can't see the justification in it.
All the revenue goes on policing and admin, where's the bloody sense in that.

S

Stewart Bloor

All the revenue goes on policing and admin, where's the bloody sense in that

I suppose it keeps people in a job.....

A

andrew jackson

Wow I am well gob smacked that you dont pay for a licence in Scotland Rob. Considering the disproportionate amount of licence reviue spent on salmon. Ok so Salmon are not just a Scotish phenomenon. Tell you what though, there aint so many down here. All seems a bit lob sided to me.

R

Rob Brownfield

Andrew, be rest assured that no Rod Licence money goes towards Salmon in Scotland!!!..and on that note, I am away to start a new thread on the stocking of salmon in rivers....feel free to join in

B

Birds Nest

Are the northans Tickets hard to come by then ? Odd one to understand for me, I thought they were just castle waters..

A

Alan Roe

All the licence fees are set way to low and should be doubled with a significant percentage of the extra money going to the new NAA to set up a huge fighting fund to pay for professionals to run the thing instead of well meaning amateurs.
Just imagine the interest such a body would create and the influence that body would have with an income of around 10-20 million a year!!

S

Stewart Bloor

...or create another QUANGO?....Now that's a word that hasn't been banded around since the early Mrs Thatcher Government.

V

vince battams

why have a rod licence at all ?,as it was said earlier the money gets lost in policing and administration,i don't agree with the policing issue as how many of you on this forum can safely say they have come across an EA bailiff ?,i used to be an honourary EA bailiff and was i thought doing a good job,the fishing club i belonged to didn't back me though,i can safely say i was the only one doing it in my area and then i get dumped by the EA for as they put insurance reasons.
So rather than see my money get washed down the pan,i think the licence should be scrapped,if not then lets see the EA doing something noticeable.
I did recently offer them my services recently full time in exchange for what i thought as a reasonable income,it did not even warrant a reply.