A Last Look At The Outside World?

P

Paul Williams

Thats not a fish, it's Sedge!!!!!! i've told you he get's everywhere !!!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Due to the fact that any day now I am going to become two-tone my memory aint so good!However I seem to remember an old tele documentry called"The Lagoon"? or some thing similar.It was a nature programme about a freshwater lake right by the sea.It showed a small Pike feeding.The Pike took a stickleback but could not swallow it because it put its spines up.This picture looks very similar.After a while the Pike opened its mouth and the stickle back swam away.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

In fact after looking at the photo again I am prety certain this is where it came from.The Pike is quite clearly small.Look at the fins,eye size and shape of the mouth.

S

Stewart Bloor

I think the picture is symbolism. The big fish is Rik and the little one is Paul. They are seen through the eyes of Sedge and the caption reads 'Come out you coward, and fight like a man...'

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The pike is definitely a mere stripling, a pickerel. Perhaps it hasn't learned yet that it has to swallow its prey before it can swim out again.

P

Paul Williams

Sedge, Confusious say "beware the little foe, they go in low........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'll drink to that, if somebody will buy me one.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Having kept tropical fish --- could it be an Egyptian Mouth Brooder and not a pike ???

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of those fish Ed. Have you got a picture of one I can have a look at?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I haven't Gra'-- since I got rid of my tank I also got rid of all my books on tropicals. Its just that on the picture ( on the site ) The bigger fish seems to have fancy fins ---not at all like a pike

R

Ryan Turner

I used to do graphic design on the same program that the big pike from the Fishing.co.uk site was done on and believe me its very easy to fake these sort of things, not that I think this picture is a fake but we should definitely beware the "fish pic fraudsters"!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The picture has already been proven to be a fake. Jonathon Denny and his mate Max Spenser-Morris have admitted that the fish was a 22lb pike from the River Kennet digitally 'stretched' and sent to the website 'for a laugh.'

Denny said, "We didn't mean for it all to go this far. Max made the image as a joke so that I could see what it would look like to hold a real monster."

It looks like the only safe way of maintaining the record lists now is to go back to the old method whereby a member of the record fish committee has to actually witness and weigh the real thing.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Graham I got the impression that Ryan was refering to the fish in Pikes mouth photo.

A

Andy Davis

From today's Daily Telegraph:
"A rainbow trout peers out of the mouth of a northern pike, a final glimpse before being consumed. The shot was displayed at the Department of Fish and Game in Anchorage, Alaska, which has declared an "open season" on the northern pike to protect trout and salmon"

P

Paul Williams

Andy, the DT may have run that story with it but i've got a feeling Budgie is nearer the mark, i to remember the documentory he speaks of, the same programme also put into slow motion the pike taking the stickleback because it happened to fast for the human eye!!

A

Andy Davis

Paul, I remember that as well....I am trying to do more digging on the subject !! Have fast connection will search ;-)

P

Paul Williams

PS..this micro pike we are talking about won't bother to many trout and salmon!!! looks like the poor old pike is gonna get blamed for something else!!