Stay safe in the cold

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
This was kinda sparked by a tackle shop chat. We where talking about boots as I decided to do some winter fishing and not staying in when it's cold so I was buying boots. The owner said not to get them too small so if I fell in I could kick them off as they fill up with water. Then somone else who according to himself was Loitering with intent to spending money said that it was worse with chest waders. I asked adn yes it was the voice oif experiance talking. I then mentioned something I remeber about how chest waders won't save you but at least the air in them will help them find you, either to save youor to give you a proper funeral. Anyway the point is be carefull guys adn gals as the rivers are stupidly strong at the moment. Do all the usual things don't do stupid things, go with someone if possible adn tell someone where you going

Another issue is the cold. I was in the Army Cadets so I have loads of cool gear like thermal trousers and super duper thick itchy jumpers. Therefore I can achiev quite a cheap but warm outfit. Also if you look in bennets catolouge theve got a full thermal (not waterproof suit) for ?25 with P&P. I'm sure your local tackle shops will have the same so wrap up warm.

Top tip: Get an old but warm pair of gloves (NOT WOOL)and cut the undersideof the fingers about 1 inch from the end so you can pop your fingers out for rig tieing

Godd luck adn get out there

Jon

P

Paul Williams

Jon, fall in with AC issue wooly pully's and the rest and you really are in trouble!!
Seriously though mate we all think we are capable of this and that but we aint superman prevention is the thing in this case! make sure you don't fall in! a winter river in flood takes no prisnors, i have a green floatation suit that i wear when i fish the lower Severn in winter, i have never put it to the test, i often think about taking it to the local swimming club to see if it work's.
Don't take any risks, at the end of the day it's a hobby, ask the boss at your AC squad if you can do a "safe" controlled river crossing on a shallow pond in the depth of winter, you will soon realise what cold water can do, then imagine that raging torrent of a river!!!!! be safe.

J

Jonathan Faro

Er
I'm no longer iun Army cadets but we did a kinda bridge crossing but we went under the bridge. I almost got washed away adn started sinking in the mud.I know the force of water as me and my mate cycled through a flood once adn I had to go back and pull the fat Bar steward out.

Jon

ps If you can get hold of a pair of army thermal overtrousers get them. I used minbe today adn was too hot which si better then freesing my monkeys off

R

Rob Brownfield

Having served in Norway, Scotland and the Jungle???...eh?...I think I can safely say that I have had some experience of surviving in extremes of temperature.

All I can say is many thin layers are better than a few thick ones. Make sure u have a material that wicks away sweat to the outer layers, as this will keep u more comfortable. (Silk, Helly Hanson Lifa etc) Wear a roll neck sweater or microfleece with a high neck. Cover all with a windproof top, then good quality breathable waterproofs on top. We used to have 4 layers in Norway, Silk longjohns and lonf sleeve top, Combat trousers and a norwegian shirt (Cotton, high neck) Windproof smock and trousers, and Goretex outtas. That lot kept us warm. A down jacket is useful when sitting around.

When I was a kiddie, I wore a wet suit under my gera. It was thin, warm, and kept me afloat one january piking trip to the Lea..lol!!!

J

Jonathan Faro

Bloddy hell. I have loads of layers mainly bacause you cant wear a T shirt under a army jumper cos it's so itchy so I had to wear a roll neck. The same one as I wre for the Falklands compertiton when I was in caddets so It's kinda special to me. Anyway I'm going piking as soon as I sort my big reel out and the lak moves back to within a few miles of wherre it should be. Unfortunatly I've outgrown my Wombats but my Combat jacket is nice and has loads of pockets. I had to take off all the stuff as I had turned it into a top gilly suit

Jon

R

Rob Brownfield

Jon....at the risk of being shot, I used to do all the sneaky beaky stuff when I was serving, so I had loads of *special* kit. It came in handy for stalking very cute carp, although one day, I was sitting in a bush, watching a 30lb+ mirror at my feet when a fellow angler came up behind me, unzipped his flies, and ..well...u can guess the rest.

Not pleasent. So...be careful out there when u are stalking...hehehe

J

Jonathan Faro

What you had gilly suits and everything. I've had a similar incident. I was standing on parade when the camp dog (not gay it lives at the camp) came up adn mistook my leg for a tree.

Jon