Zander, let's not waste them

R

Ron Clay

I see that a particular water authority wants to cull zander in certain waters. Certainly there seem to be too many of them at present in some waters. The best answer is to allow zander anglers a bag limit on the understanding that the fish are eaten. Zander are one of the best freshwater table species of all. I've eaten them as Walleye in America, in Poland and a few in Britain. For those who are interested, I have a few zander recipes for you. However if you go out zander hunting for the pot, do take a really effective "bonker" with you. A trout priest is not up to it. A small tack hammer is ideal, one blow aimed between the eyes brings instant death

R

Rob Brownfield

Geez Ron, I think you are going to get some stick for this posting...especially if Neville Fickling gets to see it!!

I cant comment on Zander as I have no experience of them, but I see they are being caught on the fly at a certain well know Trout water down south, and being put back alive.

P

Paul Williams

Ron, you are right zander make lovely eating!! i don't see anything wrong with taking a smallish one for the pot from a heavily stocked water....but culls can get silly if not handled properly.
As Rob says watch out for NJF...especially if he has a small tack hammer in his hand, lol........

R

Ron Clay

Ok chaps, here is a list of all the British coarsefish I've eaten at odd times in my like
Pike(OK), Perch(excellent), Roach(fair), Dace(good), Bream(awful), Gudgeon(terrific) Tench(very good), eels(excellent),Carp(small ones good), Chub(ugh), Rudd(fair).
I've never tried a barbel but I have eaten Yellowfish in South Africa (a close relation) which have not been bad. I don't see a problem when fish are prolific in eating the odd one or two.

In Poland the local anglers eat most of what they catch and do you know the rivers are stuffed with fish

R

Rob Brownfield

he is president of the Zander club in the UK, former Pike record holder with a 40+ fish from the Broads, Daiwa tackle consultant, book writer, tackle shop owner, prolific article writer etc etc...and a bloody good angler.

M

Malcolm Bason

I'll send him an "E" - only joking Ron - but 'Gudgeon'??? What did you do, fry up a pan full of them?

M

Malcolm Bason

I'll tell you what! We could all go on a Zander hunt together - we won't bother with little hammers - just cut their heads off, whilst still alive of course, and we could have an initiation ceremony wherein we all spread blood on our faces! What you think Ron? Dave C? The we could call ourselves 'real' hunters?

C

Carp Angler

Are you still living in the 50's?
Rationing has stopped........

Apart from being hugely un-ethical, we now have supermarkets that have well stocked fish counters.

If I saw you killing fish from one of my club waters I would ban you instantly, then I would take you to court under the 1968 Theft Act and then I would let the hordes of members know your address.

Wonder how 'clever' you'd feel then?

M

Mike Fidler

Ron, if there is an over population, then they should be moved and released into a water where anglers will welcome them. Otherwise let them get on with it themselves. Pike and perch self regulate there own numbers, Zander will as well. Lets have no more of the knock it on the head talk please.

N

Neville Fickling

For what it's worth I run the zander anglers club! I'm secretary cum dogsbody.
Our policy is simple, if zander are illegally introduced it is the riparian owners decision as to what happens to them. Obviously we would prefer zander to be left alone, however in the case of British Waterways they do seem to have a problem. Culling zander should be a last resort and though we can understand the situation British Waterways finds itself in, in the end it would probably be better if the zander were left alone and settled down to their own numbers. I and the club accept that zander are good eating, but would not encourage this. Otherwise where does it stop? Pike are great to eat, so are carp. You have to choose which which you value most, sporting qualities or eating qualities.

C

Carp Angler

Well said.
There must be clubs/waters that would want these fish, are you able to put one in touch with the other?