Line clips

J

Jonathan Faro

OK I realise that all the mags say to use them to hit the same spot but I've just got a neww reel with very tight line clips. I cliiped in the line after filling to stop it teh line falling off. When I later unclipped it I could clearly see the line was damaged. This wasn't thin linhe it was 18lb test and claimed abrasion resistent. I'm sure thin line would fair worse so unless you want to see the line snap and your lead dissapear with 100 yards of line attatched then don't use them. If you must hold the line try and elastic band

Jon

C

Carp Angler

Such a broad sweeping statement......
What size reel?
18lb line is very thick and is probably too big for the line clip, thinner line would probably sit in the clip without too much force and remain undamaged.

You're casting 18lb line 100 yards with a carp rod, you must have some serious rods and be an excellent caster.

Elastic bands around spools give more chance of a crack off as the line bounces off the band causing slackness and a chance it could wrap around the butt ring.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I use the lineclip on my reels when fishing for bream, chub or smaller fish that are not going to rip yards of line off my reel. Hence I usually use line in the 4 to 6lb range and can say I have never had a line break due to the clip. I would never use a line clip for carp fishing, whatever the the breaking strain of the line.

If cast correctly, i.e. with anticipation of the line hitting the clip, feathering the line down and dropping the rod as the line hits the clip, you should never have a break.

With practice, the line clip allows you to put feeders on an area of about a square metre at 40 metres plus distance or to be able to fish tight to far bank features. It is a very useful gadget and shouldn't be just dismissed.

J

Jonathan Faro

The reels of the big arse specimen type. Yes I am a good caster. I'm not saying it gets damaged by casitn git gets damaged by being put into the clip. I will not be using mu=ine as I a,m sure it is a bad idea. I do have a loose line clip. The ones like a filled in paper clip which I use on 12lb line with no problem on my smaller reel.

Jon

C

Carp Angler

The fact that thinner line doesn't get damaged suggests that your mainline is too thick.
Try jamming some powergum or thick pole elastic under the clip before you put the line in it, this should stop the clip pulling down too hard on the line.

P

Paul Williams

Or tying a sliding knot in the mainline, leave a longish tag end and clip the tag end up, you can release this if you need to during the battle.

J

Jonathan Faro

OK where did you get the 100 yard figure. I'm using 18lb line as it's for piking and I would arther lose distance then risk breaking off adn leaveing a fish to die with more trebles in it's mouth. I can get thinner line under it but I'm stikll not convinced it's good for the line

Jon

C

Carp Angler

I presume you mean me......

and I quote..
"so unless you want to see the line snap and your lead dissapear with 100 yards of line attatched then don't use them."

That's from your opening gambit on the subject.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Why would you want to use a line clip when piking? You are definitely asking for a snap off with the weight of leads and deadbaits hitting the thing, besides the fact I can't think of a situation with a deadbait where you would want to clip up anyway.

J

Jonathan Faro

OK OK. I just said 100 yards of line as an example. I'm not using the line clips while fishing. i just put the line on the reel and clipped it in while it was put in my reel bag to stop the line falling off. Later on I saw that it was damaged wehn I took the line off. I don't use line clips anyway as I have a freespool function on my reel

Jon

P

Philip Inzani

Jonathan, Riks point about putting power gum or similar in the clips is what I would suggest as well. If you jam two or three lengths under the clip and trim them down then that will stop your mainline going to far down and getting damaged, I am told some anglers with the new Embelems are doing this as the clip is crap....its worth a try anyway. Also
Pauls tip about the stop knot with the long tag is definatly worth investigtaing. I know he mentioned it in a thread quite a while back and I have been playing around with this as it really seems to be the anwser to alot of my prayers in terms of not having to put a marker on the line as you can leave the line in the clip.

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
Um first an apology. Carp angler I think. I was a bit short with my answer to you. Anyone else it looks like I've got angry with I'm sorry. Maybe I was wrong saying not to use them but I'm still not going to use it for 18lb line as thats a bit bloody thick. There is an answer. Buy a telescopic whip. Sod reels who needs them.

Jonathan "humble pie" Faro

P

Paul Williams

Jonathan,
18lb line clipped up...to a tele whip.....you have lost me mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!