Fishing mentioned in this Guardian story of animal rights euro-lunacy

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If anyone ever has the feeling that they would ever like to refer to me as being Mad and Stupid, then i will refer them to read this article, i will feel extremely agrieved to be associated along with the likes of these Nutters and i may be forced to get myself an Animal Lawyer to defend my Human Rights.

tinca taker

Reaction score
I cant believe it i chopped all those worms! there will be twice as many cases against me now!!

If you dont here from me for a while i'll be doing a stretch!! still some prisons have fishing lakes now....... Whoopy i'm handing my self in!!!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Not sure I'm happy with the title of the thread - "story of animal rights euro-lunacy"

Makes it sound like it's an edict from the European Union whereas Switzerland is not a part of the European Union and never has been. Perhaps we're safer being in the EU on this matter.

Then what have the Swiss ever given to the world except, hard cheese, triangular chocolate, and cuckoo clocks?

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Actually Cuckoo Clocks come from Germany.

Which IS in the EEC and has recently copied some of the Swiss laws on 'catch and release', so if I were you I WOULD keep an eye on this tosh.

I have pals in both of these countries and to coarse fish in the way we do here they have to break the Law. People always say it could never happen here....but they propably never thought we'd have our armed forces fighting in 'illegal' wars or a Prime Minister that would lie to his people or a subsequent enqiry either.

What starts in Germany can become law here too...ask any motorcyclist about after-market exhaust systems and the un-elected Mr. Martin Bangemann.

Look, I'm not really a political animal, but I'm old enough to have seen stuff happen that folk said never would !

Dave Burr

Reaction score
I have to agree. There is no way that a direct ban on angling would be accepted but the insidious introduction of rules that impinge on the angler and that alienate us from the non-angling public will be used over a period of time until we are seen as in the same light as scarlet coated hunters.

But we've got a year or two left so enjoy it whilst you can.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If any government ever banned or changed the way we fish now, I would just carry on fishing as i do now.

I have always said joining the EU was the worst thing we ever did, not that we got to vote for it.

Sod Them, I will not be told by sum jumped up Little Sh*t, how I can, when and where to fish.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Actually Ray - we WERE asked, in a referendum no less. But, as Dave Steuart pointed out to me recently, that was a vote to join the 6 most powerful European trading nations so the UK could benefit, not to join a hodge-podge myriad mix of weakling states that we would end up having to support.
I originally voted to join Europe but I probably wouldn't do so today.

And, when you think about it, the Government has already changed the way we fish, by introducing laws that reflect the changing times. We no longer use gaffs or gags or tailers or little keepnets nor move fish etc etc.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Geoff,
We didn't get a vote regarding the Eu as it is, thats my point, all those who voted to join Europe were lied to, nothing new there then is there.

As for the changes you say about, you know full well that I mean I will never be told I can't fish, I don't give a Sh*t if it come from the Queen or anybody else.

The EU and any other body can stick their rules regarding trying to stop us from fishing, right where the SUN DON'T SHINE