Weights and Measures

S

Sascha Welsch

Good article Mark.

It's amazing how many people I come across that have no idea of how to accurately weigh a fish or indeed are amazed when a fish is weighed accurately against their "guesstimate". I've witnessed someone weighing a tench at 10lb+ that was revised to under 7 when I weighed it by zeroing the scales first (they were at 1lb+ already) AND taking off the weight of the net it was weighed in!!! It makes me wonder how many specimen fish in the weeklys really are the weight stated.

For the record I've used the Salter Electro Samson scales for over a year now and can honestly say they are the bizz! Not cheap at about ?75 but very, very accurate up to 55lb in 1/2 oz divisions (can also be changed to Kg or decimal %s and are as accurate with a specimen roach as they are with a tench or carp and pike.

G

Gerry Castles

I enjoyed that too. Having monkeyed around with all sorts of brass spring scales for trouting and Avons for piking, I now have (like a few of my fishing partners) a set of Salter Electro Samson, with an improved T-bar courtesy of Barry Kneller. (the original is somewhere in the murky waters of Oulton Broad)The ability to stick your finger on the weight button and then read off the weight after a struggling fish has been disposed of, is their most endearing quality not to mention their accuracy. Could these be the new Reuben Heatons ?

R

Richard Drayson

Interesting article Mark.
You say that the Weighmate digitals are the most accurate, how accurate are they and how much (perhaps more importantly?) do they cost?

Also, I don't fully understand what you mean when you say... "but given the need to zero the scales under tension".

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Richard,

Zeroing under tension applies to dial scales with a certain amount of slack. Until that slack is taken up the pointer doesn?t move. Of the scales I used in my test it was only the Avons that showed a real movement (about 2oz). On the match scales and Reuben Heatons there wasn?t any movement. As you will be weighing the fish in a net or sling anyway it is easier to read a true weight when the fish is suspended rather than trying to deduct the weight of the net.

At the time I researched the article I did find Weighmates on the net. From memory the claimed error was in the region of +-0.5% or better, which is pretty good. The cost was in the region of ?140. Digital weigh cranes that are probably even more accurate are available, their use is industrial, hence prices of up to a ?1000.

Keep the comments coming ? anyone any ideas on the low weight balances?

D

Dave Slater

Excellent article Mark,
I fully agree with zeroing under tension. I do not think it is possible to be 100% accurate with the scales most of us use but, as long as the scales are replaced every few years, the reading should be near enough either way. Differences in atmospheric pressure and temperature will give different readings on the same scales, but not significant differences. This is why I say near enough. I have not tried digital scales but I know Terry Lampard rates the Weighmates you mention. Good enough for me. Like you I cannot see the point in weighing every fish caught. Personally I only weigh fish that warrant a place in my photo album so the minimum sizes for weighing increase each season. I think weighing smaller fish would be pointless and cause unneccessary stress to the fish. The only exception is chub. The Chub Study Group keep a record of all chub over four pounds so I weigh chub I would not bother weighing if I was not a member. I would probably weigh only chub I though may make six pounds if I was not a member. Similarly I cannot see the point of weighing the same fish several times. Do it once and get it right. I am sure repeated weighing cannot be good for the fish. The same applies to photography. Retain the fish for the minimum time necessary. Sort the cameras out and get the photos done as quickly as possible. I'm afraid I cannot help with scales for very small species as I do not fish for them.

R

Richard Drayson

Hmmm, that link timed-out! If you go to the RS website and type 'spring balances' in the search box you should find them.

The info supplied on their site is as follows:-

Spring balances which can be used for force and mass measurement. The polycarbonate body and stainless steel spring and hook make these balances resistant to many common chemicals and impact resistant.
Each measuring range has a different colour code for ease of identification.
Impact and chemical resistant polycarbonate body

Stainless steel spring and hook
2X range overload capacity
Zero calibration adjustment nut
Supplied in a protective translucent storage tube

Selection Guide

Range Colour Graduation Resolution
1N/100g Yellow 0?25N & 25g 0?05N & 5g
3N/300g Blue 0?5N & 50g 0?1N & 10g
5N/500g White 1N & 100g 0?1N & 10g
10N/1000g Green 1N & 10g 0?5N & 50g

Bob Clayton

Reaction score
I am perfectly happy with my Reben blue dial scales. The rest of the crew that fish with me have these as well and we have regularly weighed fish with two or three sets of scales and have 100% agreement on all of them. Mind you we rarely weigh small fish and tend to weigh from five pounds upwards. Our scales go to 60lb(optimistically) in 1 oz stages.