Buying a new car

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Hey Jude actually started out as hey Jool for his son Julian

R

Richard Drayson

My 20 year old Volvo 240 is known as the Battlecruiser. Same colour and very nearly the same size, that is until something goes wrong with it then it's called B*****D!!!

R

Ron Clay

Hey Richard,

Nowt wrong wi Volvos.

That car of your will be on the road when most of the latest Fords are on the scrap heap.

L

Les Clark

Richard,i had a volvo 240 about 14yrs ago,built like a tank,had been hit twice in it,both times they came off worse,boy race`rs"make my day,have a go",sad when it had to go.

K

Kevin Cox

Anyone want to swap my 1.8 Mondeo P 97 60K good nick, for a Volvo 740 estate 2.0....
PLEASE ?

R

Ron Clay

Took delivery of "Rose" this evening. What is great about this Citroen is that it has wind-up windows. No more problems with electric windows that stick at the wrong tome and no more smashed rods when you carry a rod, especially a fly rod made up.

Yes, she will be called "Rose", the "White Rose of Yorkshire".

Come and have a pint with me at the "George", Ramsey Fortyfoot on Sunday.

B

Birds Nest

mmm you'll buy a Citron over a Ford.. takes all sorts..

Joking aside.. enjoy the car mate..

R

Ron Clay

Thanks Birdy, I appreciate your comments.

Seriously I have owned several Frog cars in the past, mainly Peugeots. Because the Frogs are the worst drivers in the world I have great respect for the way they build cars.

I knew a Frenchman in SA who drove a Citroen 2 CV. Those cars only had three gears. He only ever used two of them, first to get moving then straight into top for the rest of the drive. He never changed down. He slipped the clutch whilst revving as fast as possible when going around bends.

He got through about 8 clutches a year.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Ron my old car, which my wife now has, is a Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel. It is now 8 years old has nearly 130,000 on the clock and still drives as well as the first day. Maintenance costs have been low and its only let us down once, we needed a new battery, the old one lasted 7 years, very good for a diesel. Without doubt the best car I have ever brought, reliable, economical, good acceleration when needed, lovely to drive, handles well, all in all brilliant, French I know but they have to have something they are good at as well as striking.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the offer of the pint but I'll donate it to another member who lives in the area :eek:) Glad you liked the name, but as I don't live in England it would be a little difficult to take you up on it.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Kev

Be careful in them Volvos,,,,,
I got stopped on M74 looked at speedo and was cruising along at a steady 140mph!!!!!

Was only goin fishin (in an S70)
Luckily was leavin for NZ 3 weeks later so he tore the ticket up

J

Jack Pike

My dusky German maiden is 16 years old but still can give some boy racers the run for the money when I go down to the fens.

R

Ron Clay

Have you got a Beetle Jack?

I got Rose up to 70mph on the M1 today.

By the way I have done 150 miles in her and the fuel gauge is still on half. The level when I bought it.

Looks like I should get between 800 and 1000 miles to a tankfull... :eek:)

It free-wheels down hills very well.

J

Jack Pike

I dont think I will get 800 miles to the tank Ron I wish its not a beetle

R

Ron Clay

I have just returned from a 400 mile round trip, A week in the fens.

Dear Rose rode like a dream and I only used 1/2 a tank of diesel!!!

Anyone contemplating a set of fishing wheels would do no worse than to look for a Saxo 1.5 D. It took both Johns and my tackle easily.

Work it out, the tank holds 45 litres, thats ten gallons near enough. That's 80 miles to the gallon - I kid you not!!

Good old Rose.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yeah, course it does.

Manufacturers are being asked to submit proposals for a new car and more than one proposal may be taken forward under the Department for Transport's New Vehicle Technology Fund, which has a budget of ?10 million over three years.

Affordable and capable of being mass produced within a near to medium term timescale;

Have tail pipe carbon dioxide emissions of less than 90 grammes per kilometre (compared with more than 175g for a similar new petrol car today);

Be fuel efficient and travel around 1,000 miles between refills, with today's 12 gallon tank;

Capable of doing 80 miles per gallon or more, compared to today's average of 36 miles per gallon.

R

Ron Clay

You have a good point there Warren.

These small French Diesels are gems and utilise hydrocarbon fuels in the best way possible.

The only problem I see is that bastards like Blair and Brown will find a way of penalising people who buy fuel efficient cars such as Citroen Saxo Deisels and others. In Europe, diesel, is considerably cheaper than gasoline. In the USA it is less than 1/2 price. So why is diesel so expensive in the UK?

It is the most energy efficient of motor fuels and gives off the least emissions.

WHY, do we, in the UK have to be penalised for driving diesel cars?

Let's have some answers chaps?

C

Chris Bishop

Hey Ron, did you catch anything..? Fished the Fens all last week, the only half reasonable day was Weds when I hooked up with Matt Drew and we nailed a few pike and zander.