Buying a new car

R

Ron Clay

In the last 1/2 hour I have decided that this weekend that I will buy a new car.

I'm afraid old Citroen Lily will finally have to go.

About 4 weeks ago I went around various places with the intention of buying a new car. I gave for the following reasons.

1: They don't seem to have any small diesels available. At the moment I have a Citroen AX TZD which does 70+ miles to the gallon on a long run. Where do you get a modern equivalent for one of the finest small cars ever built?

2: All the places I have visited want to sign you up to a bloody dodgy HP agreement. If you read the small print it seems to say that you never own the vehicle.

3: When you tell the bloody idiot of a car salesman that you want to pay cash for the car, they seem to turn off.
One asshole actually walked away from me.

4: Then they want to sell you their own dodgy insurance scheme. Some of them say it's free for the first year??

Read the small print again.

Where on Earth in the South Yorks North Notts area can I find a honest motor car dealer who is prepared to sell me what I am looking for without giving me a load of hassles. I have CASH to spend. Most of them don't seem to know what that means.

HELP!!

C

Chris Bishop

Peugot do a couple of nice small diesels. How about a 206 or 306TD..?

If you don't like salesmen you could always buy privately.

B

Birds Nest

New Computer, new camera, new car... Ron I get the impression your not as skint as you make out...

Are you buying 2nd hand? The ford dealership that were Arriva Ford on London Road in Nottingham were excelent when I brought my 2nd hand ford, with cash... I can get you the details of the salesman I delt with... if you want..

Brand new? Our place is raving about the 1.4 tdci diesel engine in the new Fiesta....

R

Ron Clay

I might have a look around Cambridgeshire whilst I am down there. I wouldn't mind a 206 or 306, they look to be nice cars.

The thing I always do with a new car is break it in. This means taking a lump hammer and giving the car a thorough bashing.

Next, I put plenty of scratches all over it, as well as a crack in the rear window.

Next is to remove some of the fancywork on the inside, especially a door panel.

Finally, allow a good hatch of maggots to take place inside. A rotting eel in the boot, also works wonders.

I car in this state tends not to get nicked!

T

Tim Richardson

Ron, my cousin went to one of these car supermarkets and they actually refused to sell him the car when he wanted to pay cash

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Ron a pity you don't like Fords. I had a Mondeo (old model) and my wife and I both loved it, as it was a company car I lost it on changing jobs. The new Mondeo TDCI is a superb car everyone I have spoken to who has one has spoken very very highly of them. Not small but plenty of room for the fishing gear. Also about 60 mpg on long runs and 45 around town, excellent for a 2 litre car.

R

Ron Clay

Tim,

What is it with this bloody country??

The whole damn place seems to live on credit!!

I managed to pull a bit of my vast wealth I have tied up in gold shares in South Africa mainly because the gold price has increased by over 100 dollars in the past year. The war was responsible for this.

Let's for goodness sake have another war and quick. Then the gold price may increase to 500 dollars.. Hip Hip Hurray.

A quick tip for all of you. If you have a spare ?5k to invest, put it into Anglo American shares. You could double your money in a year, especially if we have another war

:eek:)

I still have to buy another damn car.

jislaik!!

A

Andrew Thomas

This would have been the Boer War Ron ?

If you can't buy a car for cash then you're not trying very hard,

K

Kevin Cox

Forget Cambridgeshire Ron, second hand car prices (like house prices) are sky high compared to the rest of the country.
Have you tried Auto Trader on the net ?
By the time the magazine comes out the good motors have usualy been snapped up.

www.autotrader.co.uk

D

David Wass

Ron

I have had quite a few different cars and although you may not like Fords the new 2.0 litre Mondeo Estate that I have at the moment is an excellent car with loads of room.
The only other car that comes close to it that I had for a while was a Volkswagon Passat TDI estate.

D

Dave Rothery

mg ztt cdti+. 58mpg, estate, but more importantly 18" alloys and twin exhaust!

C

Chris Bishop

The reason they try to make you buy on finance is their margins mean they make next to nothing if you pay cash on the nail at the asking price.

The only money in second-hand cars is in the finance, which is usually 20-plus PC APR.

Big second-hand dealers are little more than finance brokers selling loans, the car is nothing more than the security; ie you don't own until the final payment and they can re-possess without going to court until you've paid half of it off.

Having said that when I've been skint finance was helpful - car before last I bought the wife I literally had 20p in my pocket when I walked into the showroom and walked out with a three-year-old VW Polo for ?140 a month.

I've just traded it in for Mrs B's 18-month-old Golf, which comes with a year's manufacturer's warranty and the car came with full service history and I blagged a few extras for around the same.

Buy privately and if anything goes wrong with it you're up the brown river without means of propulsion.

I'd definitely go for a diesel, it works out a whole lot cheaper if you do a lot of miles.

The best I've ever driven is a VW Golf TDi, it'll comfortably hold one person's tackle, but two is a stretch.

The Peugot 306 TD I had before was a bit bigger and slightly more economical but was a bit like driving a tractor at times.

Get the Green's (?) second-hand guide, or wwhatever it's called - guide trade/private prices for various permutations of condition, mileage etc.

If you're not too bothered what a car looks like cosmetically there are some real bargains to be had.

New cars are just about to go up in price so I imagine there'll be a whole load of people trading in before they go up, meaning the second-hand market should be a buyer's market.

I'd buy up north as well, everything's cheaper.

R

Ron Clay

What the hell do you want twin bloody exhausts for Dave???

Lets face it, vehicles these days have to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

I would make David Beckham who buys some of the most unfriendly vehicles in the world to pay 300 times the basic cost of his Ferrari. That is about 25 million pounds.

That's only about 4 days work for him so why should he worry?

Even cars should as Jaguars should cost the owners at least ?10 million pounds each.

Think of it the duty paid by the vastly wealthy could be used for some excellent humanitarian causes.

The like of myself, who require a modest small car which turns out the least emmisions, should be subsidised.

Anyone who owns more than say three cars registered in their name must be made to pay it least ?50 million a year in tax, outside of a business that is.

And I'm a Rank Tory what!!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Ron I only said smell it not drink it.
Also Ford do Focus in a TDCI diesel smaller than Mondeo and still very economical. Go to a few main dealers and test drive several cars after deciding what you like shop around for deals including second hand cars. The big reputable car auctions are also worth a look.

C

Chris Bishop

He'd probably argue the case for a moaning tax Ron - look forward to seeing the new Claymobile in a week or two's time, along with your good self. Bacon rolls are on me if I can make the George on June 15.

R

Ron Clay

Ag man I still might have Lily.... :eek:)

You get very attached to a woman. All cars to me are female.