EA RECREATION Policy

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Hello Chaps,

How many of you are aware of the new policy of the EA towards recreational sports in rivers, below is their policy, It is causing some conflict on my local river Dearne and as such we are campaigning against it.

The Environment Agency’s Access policy states that it will “promote sustainable increased access where it will not adversely impact on existing uses and users, or the economic, environmental and conservation value of the site, and associated area, now or in the future. Subject to resources, we will encourage access where managed solutions can be found to remove adverse impacts.”

As Dearne anglers we have to now put up with a new 45 acre lake adjacent to the river which the canoe club wish to use for all their activities. They are activley looking to gain access from the lake itself into the river thereby destroying easy access swims.

any help would be good

andy

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Andy ,it's unclear where the lake comes into this, are Dearne anglers being crowded off he lake and potentially the river or, do the canoists have the use of the lake to themselves, and now want use of the river too?

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Fred , the lake was re dug around 4/5 years ago from an existing lake which was fished locally by anglers, then the lake was tiny in comparison. its now 45acres and run by Manverswaterfront boat club.

They have a web site and with help from the BCU have built a rather posh new club house.

Prior to the club taking over the lease the lake was fished freely by anglers, now a fee of 12 per year is chargeable , which I suspect is not too bad , the fishing can be hard but offer some chance of a quality fish.

However the issue is with the dearne that runs within a 150 yards or so of the river , the propaganda spewed out by the club and EA would lead anyone to think that they intend to have the river used for canoeing. The EA propaganda talks about opening up the lake to the river.
The canoe club intend to use the river whereever possible and to seek planning for canoe access points all along the river from Darfield in Barnsley to Denaby in Doncaster through to its confluence with the Don.

The River Don catchment trust is also aware of this issue and braced for a fight.

The river is small averging 12.15 yards wide , shallow and high banked.

The canoeists have already had a recce trip down it to check out the possibilty out canoe lanuch sites all along the river to the Don.

The EA now claim their rec recreational policy now covers all sports and not just angling have a duty wherever possible to allow these to happen.

Fred , its the thin end of the wedge with the dearne, if they get on , no small river will be safe.

check out their website esp the gallery and section marked press cuttings

Manvers Waterfront Boat Club

andy

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I have a document somewhere where Dafydd Evans put his name to it stating that canoe access agreements would not be made if it impacted on people having a legitimate right (anglers) to use the water.

But as with most verbal/printed rubbish that comes from the mouths of EA people it has proven to be a load of ....

According to the last published minutes of the EA's NE RFERAC that admit they might have got it wrong by not consulting anglers who fish the Dearne, just one river amongst many I would suggest!

Last edited:

bendsomecane

Reaction score
John, the real frightening thing is that the canoe club rep is a man called Chris Hawksworth, who im sure is a charming man , although ive never met him, has been allowed to push this issue over access on the river by the EA.

Online are minutes of meetings with rotherham tourism which he and a EA rep were present, its clear that these are being pushed , no anglers were invited and no issue was made over river angling on the Dearne.

What the people cannot grasp is that not all anglers want to fish lakes and ponds, me like many others simply enjoy the river and wouldnt go near a lake.

The chub in the river are the only species worth targetting in winter they are a commendable size but are very spooky.

andy

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The Environment Agency’s Access policy states that it will “promote sustainable increased access where it will not adversely impact on existing uses and users, or the economic, environmental and conservation value of the site, and associated area, now or in the future. Subject to resources, we will encourage access where managed solutions can be found to remove adverse impacts.”

It states in writing above, where it will not adversely impact on existing uses and users, and associated area. NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.

Having that in writing, I don't see how they can give access, and take swims at the same time.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Yes Andy, My spies tell me its been throwing up some nice chub lately, but keep it quiet ;)

The EA seems to have a hidden agenda when it comes to 'negotiating' canoe access agreements.
With my clubs waters the EA met with our riparian owners, the canoe clubs, a commercial rowing boat company and even the owner of a $loody night-club/pleasure/party Mississippi type paddle boat (the river is hardly wide enough for it to turn round) but excluded us from the meetings, and we are the only ones paying (about £8k/year) to use the river. The EA graciously offered the club a place on the river users forum AFTER the done-deal.

What really annoyed me was when the woman from the EA, a Barbara Pike, telephoned me and said "I'm calling to tell you what WE have decided is going to happen re: the canoe access"

Sadly the one person from your area who could have put your case forward, Martin Read, resigned from the NE RFERAC. I think he'd had enough of the double-dealing.

The NE RFERAC really is a disgrace; recently we had the undignified spectacle of it's Chairman walking out of a meeting he attended with the Tyne Anglers Alliance. The e-mail he sent to delegates the next day really was unbefitting of someone in his position.

The NE RFERAC Agenda & Minutes can be seen HERE Andy, the Dearne canoe info is near the bottom of the pdf. Your Mr. C Hawkesworth would appear to be a member of the RFERAC, as I say done-deals. I do wonder why some of those appointed to this committee even bother to apply, it cant be because they are concerned about angling, probably more to enhance their CV's.

Its about time 'Angling & Anglers' had a fair, proportionate and INTERESTED presence on the NE RFERAC, at the moment the composition of this committee is more like the Chairman's 'Thiefdom'

The Chair does, in the final analysis, have a major say in just who is appointed and who isn't appointed to this committee.

How the so called anglers on this committee could let something so important to anglers get through without it even registering is beyond me, but this same lot did the same with the Wear canoe access so it shouldn't really come as a surprise the interests of angling wasn't given a single thought.

This is just another reason we need a strong and united Angling Trust!

Opening up some 150 yds from the lake to the Dearne is going to cost a lot of cash, I wonder where it will come from?
A recent 'event' on the Wear created what could have made an ideal winter fish refuge but the EA couldn't/wouldn't pay the cost of excavating just a few yards to lower the inlet level.
One more reason we need a strong and united Angling Trust!

Last edited:

thx1138

Reaction score
The EA seems to have a hidden agenda when it comes to 'negotiating' canoe access agreements.

Simply not true John. I worked for the EA in Recreation for some years. The policy is quite clear, in terms of protecting existing users interests. Obviously I cant speak for individual officers, and not everyone is clued up on fisheries sensitivities or potential conflicts, but there is no conspiracy against anglers... or paddlers for that matter.

However, I do agree with you that anglers need to get better organised and represented to protect the sport's interests.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to live within sight of this river and first wrote about fishing there in David Hall's Coarse Fishing magazine in the 1980's when it made an amazing comeback from the dead.

I seldom fish there now because, to put it bluntly, it's a sh**hole in the summer!

Apart from the odd short stretch the Dearne has always been regarded by those who either use it, or dare I say abuse it, as 'free' fishing. Unfortunately if you don't pay you don't have a say.

The stretch below the Pastures bridge is controlled by LNER in Mexborough, I believe. The bit above Darfield was run by a local WMC (not sure now?). A bit runs behind Fleets Dam. What about the rest?

My advice to anyone who wishes to do anything other than moan on Internet forums is to form a Dearne Anglers' Alliance. Hold a public meeting with those who actually care about the fishing, gauge the true level of interest and be prepared to elect officials who will work tirelessly for the cause for scant reward.

Start with a map of the river and recruit the clubs who currently rent stretches. Then find out who actually owns the rest and seek to create a relationship with the owners and be prepared to pay for the right of access, even if it is only a token £1.

There are still enough active clubs in the area, Barnsley and District, Doncaster and District, Rotherham UAF, Leeds Anglers, Bradford, Worksop, etc, who maight be encouraged to take a stake in your project or even adopt it wholesale.

Seek to involve disabled anglers, BADA, Reels on Wheels, etc, because they give you political clout.

Whatever you do make sure the club joins the Angling Trust as this will give you legal clout.

Consider an alliance with the Dearne Valley Wildlife Trust or whatever they're called and dare I say it, the RSPB because birds are affected by canoes as well as anglers.

Finally you need to make friends with the EA and its fisheries deparrtment and work together on a future.

Consider environmental improvement projects that might attract Lotery funding. Raise the stakes.

And be prepared to dig deep, both into your pockets and into your soul because it'll be a hard and long battle.

Right now you will not be invited to the table when any negotiations take place because you have nothing to represent. You have no right to belong there. You are poachers and litterers in the main. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but that's where we stand.

When plans were announced to open cast mine in the Pastures - Adwick - Bolton area and to divert the course of the Dearne I went on TV and was banging on in the media about the environmental impact. The villagers around here ran the STOMP.biz campaign and we were successful.

Now it's your turn.

The fishing, where it is free, is easily identified by the remains of fires, damage, drunken yobs and stupid amounts of litter. It gets fished throughout the closed season in the very area you are keen to defend, ie behind the lake. I've seen it and I'm damn sure you have, too.

The anglers who use the river are its worst enemy and if you were to ask most of those who walk their dogs along the river bank whether they'd prefer to see anglers or canoists, what do you think they'd say?

You have an uphill fight on your hands because you don't have a leg to stand on right now. You don't own the river, you don't pay for the fishing and therefore you have no grounds for complaint when you are, in effect poaching in the first place.

Just think on, a properly organised and publicised litter clean-up will give you your highest impact at next to no cost providing you can interest the media.

But don't go thinking it'll be easy. It won't, and you'll also have to make concessions, but right now you've not got a leg to stand on, have you?

dezza

Reaction score
All absolutely spot on Bob.

It's the same thing with the upper Don near Sheffield. Wonderful fishing, yet the average Sheffield angler thinks the river is there to chuck rubbish into.

The Don and The Dearne could be two of the most wonderful rivers in the country. But the truth of the matter can be heard in any local tackle shop, where the sole subject of discussion is who will get peg XXX at the next match at Hayfield or ****ing Wetlands!

:mad::mad::mad:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ron - I'm sure not all the rubbish is from anglers, but undoubtedly some can only be anglers. Ground bait packets, sweet corn time, ect

I recenlt fished (and blanked) a water that is off the beaten track - the only people going there will be dog walkers, mountain bikers and anglers.

It's a nature water, half hour walk from my house and has only 3 places you can fish from and I've been told it holds a good head of carp, when I fished it there was plenty of evidence of anglers having been there , the ground at the waters edge was all churned over and there were a couple of places where there had been fires but remarkably only 1 piece of litter (a sweet corn tin)

Now I'm planning to try it a few times in the summer and there may well be more litter as more people fish it but I was surprised to see how little litter there was compared to commercials

904_cannon

Reaction score
James, hidden agenda untrue??

How then do we have EA Officers negotiating with MY CLUBS riparian owners, and everyone else including probably the ships (SS $loody Prince Bishop) cat, but not having the courtesy of including the only ones paying to use the river, if there is no hidden agenda. And the EA now admit they should may be have included the Dearne anglers. No hidden agenda??
Whether the river is a $h*t hole is bye the bye, anglers should be uniting otherwise before anyone realises with all the chip, chip, chipping away, very soon there will be nothing to chip away at.

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest Bob,

I do not mind admitting that I was the poor soul who started the internet campaign for help and assistance to prevent canoe's on the river. While there is some truth in what you say about riparian ownership, the Dearne has been fished for many years and is a free community angling resource, and that is so important for it to continue.

What is so wrong with it being FREE to fish, The EA claim they they have absolutley no intention of stopping anglers fishing the river for free , I suspect their main aim is to use this as bargining issue to allow canoes on too.

Whether you like it or not local people who like fishing the Dearne want it to remain a free resoure for the commnuity.

Why should some faceless syndicate take it over and charge people £xx per day to fish.The beauty about the Dearne is that it feels like a wild river,irrespective of its past.

The local people are your neighbours and no doubt you may know some of them. There are stretches where litter is a major problem, especially near to Bolton, but having recently reported fly tipping I can say that its not always anglers. We are like minded and are trying to persuade the less bothered anglers to take home the bait cans and rubbish.

We have made progress in getting the quad bikers stopped or at least curtailed the local plods try there best and hopefully we can persuade the EA that angling on the Dearne should not suffer.

What you dont know is that a small dedicated group of us who have been regulary attending meetings with the EA on the canoe matter. The point is Bob is that the EA dosent think anyone fishes the river and as a result had given their blessing to a cart blanch policy of allowing canoes on the river at any time.

our point is that the river is too narrow and too shallow for canoe's and anglers to happily co exist.

Bob, have you read the policy which i posted ? ( I paraphrase) that recreational activities take place on all river as long as they dont do not effect existing users.

Would you like them on the idle, whilst filming ? (I suspect not)

What the EA wont accept is that anglers are the rivers existing users and canoeist are only very occasional users, and more to the point there is no recognised right of navigation on the Dearne.

We are using an local ANGLING TRUST rep to assist us on the river because Bob, whether you like it or not , if this goes on the Canoes will go from the Dearne onto the Don ,Rother and Idle.

The British canoe union have open access policy on all river they want access everywhere , do you not see this. They will be on every non navigable river before you know it.

We Dearne anglers are not against Canoes on rivers as long as the river is wide enough and deep enough to sustain them, the dearne is simply not wide enough.

It would be nice for all local anglers to get behind the dearne campaign and Bob, can you answer me one question as someone who is local and bothered about writing on internet forums,... Do you care what happens to fishing on the Dearne ?

bendsomecane

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Whether you like it or not, the fishing on the Dearne could be stopped tomorrow because you are in effect poaching the place. Show me what rights the anglers who currently use it have to fish there...

Your premis that 'local people who like fishing the Dearne want it to remain a free resoure for the commnuity' is all fine and dandy if they behave responsibly but you know full well that they don't. Of course they want it for free. I'd like free petrol and free admission to the Rovers but it ain't going to happen, is it?

You are intimating that the EA own the fishing rights throughout. Are you sure about that? Or does it not belong to the adjoining land owners?

You suggest the Dearne 'feels like a wild river' - err, let's be perfectly honest, shall we - wild west, more like. Have you been to Harlington in the summer months? Quad bikers are the least of our troubles.

The river between Bolton and its confluence with the Don is not wild, it's actually man-made and runs on quite a different course to the original river. Back in the 1980's it was a very different river, much wider, trapezoidal slopes to the banks and of a different character, deeper in many places. It is only quite recently that the series of narrow, twisty, slalom chicanes were introduced above the Pastures Road.

Why should some 'faceless syndicate' take it over? You ask.

Exactly, why should it. That's why I put it to you that you should form a Dearne Anglers Trust. Right now the river is wide open to being syndicated and clubs renting the best stretches as they see fit.

Unless you are organised and pay for the fishing rights you have no authority over anyone who fishes there and leaves litter. You cannot take any action against anyone leaving litter, causing vandalism, lighting fires or anything else other than the power of a citizens arrest.

Your 'small dedicated bunch' may have been holding private meetings with individuals who are employed by the EA but as soon as something important is on the agenda you're not invited to the table.

Why do you think that is? And have you asked the right people?

Re: that recreational activities take place on all river as long as they dont do not effect existing users This comes back to what authority do anglers have to be there in the first place? Is the Dearne listed in the booklet that was issued by the EA and mailed out with rod licenses indicating what free stretches of river were available to rod license holders? In other words, you and the rest of the community say the fishing is free and you have every right to be there. Where is the proof?

Do you have any legal right to fish the river as a whole or indeed in any parts of it? What percentage of the whole river does this add up to?

Re: We are using an local ANGLING TRUST rep to assist us on the river

If there is a polution incident on the Dearne will the AT prosecute the perpetrators on your behalf? I suspect the answer is no. In fact let's be blunt, no they won't. Because you are not part of a member club who contributes to the running of the Trust.

Another community freebie.

Please, don't take my replies as personal, but if you want everything for free in this world then you have to accept you have no right of complaint. I'm a life member of the Trust but they won't act on my behalf if something goes wrong on a water just because I happen to fish there occasionally. You have to be a member of the club and the club has to join the Trust for it to act.

Quite why you have deflected the debate to other rivers I can't imagine, however, the Don is and has long been a navigable river. As for the Idle, the Pilgrim Fathers actually set out for America from the Port of Bawtry. 47-foot lighters once sailed the river and Bawtry traded with countries as far away as the West Indies.

It would be difficult to argue there are no navigation rights on the river already.

The bit in your post that I don't understand is, What the EA wont accept is that anglers are the rivers existing users and canoeist are only very occasional users. Are you saying then that canoeists are existing users because they already use it without permission?

After all, I've lost count of the times I packed in fishing near the weir at Harlington because members of 'the community' have wrecked my swim with their rafts and lorry tire inflatables, swimming in the river and generally causing mayhem.

I gave up fishing the river about five years ago, only visiting now maybe once or perhaps twice a season for the odd hour (just for old times sake) because the behaviour of those that frequently use it leaves a bad taste in my mouth:

Vegetation is hacked down wantonly each summer by anglers with no regard to the wildlife or the impact on fishing.

I've watched an angler deliberately trying to foul hook spawning bream above the footbridge.

Fires are lit and the evidence is plain to see for months afterwards.

Litter is left 'occasionally' by fly tippers but most of it is left by the community anglers.

Barbel are regularly retained in keepnets for excessive periods of time.

It is not uncommon to settle quietly in a swim only for someone to set up directly opposite you on what you have already described as a river too narrow for canoeing.

Anglers camp out on the banks using multiple rod set ups.

Anglers regularly fish the river behind the lake you mention during the closed season.

And there's nothing you can do about it because you have no mandate to do anything in the first place. The river is not owned by the community, rather it is abused by the community.

So you ask me, Do you care what happens to fishing on the Dearne?

Well, I have to say that the river I knew and fished for many years has changed beyond all recognition. The behaviour of many who use it today is, quite frankly, a disgrace.

Angling has to get its own house in order before it starts trying to prevent others from sharing the amenity. If it is to remain a free resource for the community then I'm sorry but you have to accept that canoeists are part of the community, too.

To take something for free on your own terms, abuse the priviledge and then attempt to deny access to others is not just selfish, it's downright shameful.

It would be nice, as you say, for local anglers to get behind the campaign. It would be even nicer if the local anglers would organise themselves into a body that had a right to host a campaign. Right now all that stands between the canoeists and access is a bunch of lawless freeloaders who don't want to contribute to a better future or to be governed in any way.

Democracy comes at a price. Anglers in the Dearne Valley must dig deep into their pockets, into their souls and earn the very priviledge they currenly take for granted. It'll take a determined man to lead the fight, one who'll upset a lot of anglers along the way. Be in no doubt that it'll be a very bumpy ride.

Failing that, you'd better get used to seeing an occasional canoe on the river.

Sorry if this isn't the reply you were hoping for but it's the honest opinion of someone who has lived near the river for over thirty years and watched it transform from a sewer to a fishery and from a fishery to a s**t tip!

It hurts, make no mistake.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Dearne or the locale, but it is a fact that down here, the London Anglers Association acquired the fishing rights to quite a few stretches of river, by adverse occupation, back in the Victorian era.

The fact that they had fished it for 12 years or more without having the necessary permissions suddenly gave them that right, and it has been tested in court fairly recently on one stretch near Marlow. The finding were that the LAA had the right to fish, but (as I understand) not to cross the land adjacent to the fishery, which seems to me now to be as useless as a chocolate fireguard. But that is the case.

I don't know how this can helps, but suggest that you contact someone who is really well up on such matters. I know Peter Carty now works for the EA in Thames Region, he co-authored the book 'Angling and the Law'. It dealt with such issues and he is brilliant and friendly, I can assure you.

angllaw.jpg

PS. just to add that were anyone to be granted rights now after adverse occupation, I understand you would also get suitable access to use them.

Oh and PPS - I understand where you're both coming from. There's a short stretch in Uxbridge identical, full of big barbel, but you really wouldn't want to stay for long. Two swims down from the shopping trolly is a good spot.

Last edited:

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Bob Roberts reply EA Recreation Policy.

Hello All ,

This is just to clear up any amibiguity that may have arisen after reading the posts recently made by Bob Roberts on the river Dearne in South Yorkshire.

Bob wrote-

RE Whether you like it or not, the fishing on the Dearne could be stopped tomorrow because you are in effect poaching the place. Show me what rights the anglers who currently use it have to fish there....

RE. Do you have any legal right to fish the river as a whole or indeed in any parts of it? What percentage of the whole river does this add up to?

Tonight I along with a number of others have had a meeting with members of the Environment Agency and Canoe Club. As you would expect there is not a lot of common ground and plenty to disagree about.

However to counter Bob's central point, the definative answer on whether free fishing is allowed on the EA land on the Dearne is YES its is. The EA have and do promote fishing on their stretches of the Dearne, They publish literature and send it out to every licence holder in the region. The stretches run right from Barnsley to Denaby. Both banks from Adwick to Denaby are owned by the EA and as long as you have a National rod licence you can fish there during the season. You can also fish for trout using fly, spinner or worm, during the close season.

Bob, you made some very valid points about the lazy anglers who make the river a horrible place to fish, and some relevant points about canoes although I disagree with them.. but please check your facts as a high profile angler as yourself people look to you for advice. When you give out wrong facts and try and make people feel as though they are doing something illegal its hurtful.

thanks

Bendsomecane

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Mr Cane,

After several 'friendly' PMs to which I have given you encouragement and suggested ways to forward your cause at length I am rather surprised that you are now attempting to twist the questions posed in my original post on here.

You have indeed highlighted my questions in your latest post, ie:

RE: Whether you like it or not, the fishing on the Dearne could be stopped tomorrow because you are in effect poaching the place. Show me what rights the anglers who currently use it have to fish there....

RE: Do you have any legal right to fish the river as a whole or indeed in any parts of it? What percentage of the whole river does this add up to?

Obviously you didn't have the answers to these questions because you had to go away and hold a meeting to find out, so clearly you were fishing the river in ignorance of whether you had rightfull access to all or any parts of the river.

Sadly I feel you are now twisting the questions I posed in a somewhat disrespectful manner. I quote:

but please check your facts as a high profile angler as yourself people look to you for advice. When you give out wrong facts and try and make people feel as though they are doing something illegal its hurtful.

I did not give out facts, I asked for answers. I challenged your right to oppose the canoes (unelected) on behalf of local anglers like myself.

Must say I'm a bit disappointed that after responding politely to your PMs that you have now chosen to rebuke me in this manner.

You make reference to the 'free' stretch that I can see from where I'm sat but not to the stretch adjacent the nature reserve and behind the lake which the EA and canoe club wish to connect with the river, the stretch which I believe you originally were refering to and weren't invited to the consultation over.

Spare me the hassle of looking this up in the EA publication that wasn't sent with this year's license and tell me, because I really don't know, does the most recent copy of the fishing guide state this area is free fishing? And that's a question by the way, not a statement, or a fact...

I am painfully aware that there are no controls on the stretch of fishing between Adwick Rd bridge and the Pastures Rd bridge, I do, after all, live within sight of the place and have fished it on-and-off for nearly 20 years.

It is only quite recently that I have given up in disgust although I did fish there on the morning of my recent wedding.

However, in view of your reaction I can see no point in discussing this any further with you. What I will do is take some photographs over the summer of how the fishing on this free stretch is abused by the 'community' you seek to defend.

Good luck with your campaign to defend the indefensible, to keep the river free, to banish canoes from the river, to prevent the cut-through that might provide a valuable off-river spawning site and to be invited to every consultation meeting going.

I'm sure you mean well. Really. But until you form an official body it won't be me you represent, it will be your own self interest. And if you think my comments are harsh then remove the blinkers and have a read through all I've written to you and posted on here.

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Dear Mr Roberts,

Thanks for your reply, if you recall my PM'S I informed you that I have sort written permission from the EA back at our first meeting with them in August 2009. The position was as it is now. On their stretches they do not intend to charge a day ticket, and therefore free to all anglers, They, nor we intend to alter that position.

They will not issue written permission to fish as they feel there is no need to.

I also informed you that I do not seek to defend any bad behaviour on the river by anglers or others.

My Intentions on the river are noble and will remain so for the benefit of all anglers who fish the river, including you. I really do think you are getting yourself into a pickle over this.

In relation to twisting messages I say it is you Mr Roberts who are speaking untruths about the right to legally fish on EA land.

Im sure this river is of little interest to you anymore as you are invloved in your own business interests.
Yes the help you gave was valuable and I thank you for that but please do not put out wrong statements when pontificating about the river.The lower river behind the nature reserve at Denaby Ings bridge is partly leased from the EA to Denaby Club. the Opposite bank is EA.

If I am wrong I will apologise. will you ?

The vast majority is still owned by the EA and therefore free to fish.

regards

Bendsomecane

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Alas there are none so blind as those that cannot see or those with noble intentions...

So, you say, the EA will not formalise an agreement to fish on their land, instead they will ignore anglers who fish there - at least for the present...

Doesn't exactly sound robust, does it?

At no point prior to your latest post was the issue of day tickets ever mentioned. My advice to you was to form a Dearne Alliance and volunteer to pay rent for this fishing, even if it was a token £1, and to involve local angling associations. That way the river can be bailiffed and cleaned up.

It can also be brought under the umbrella of the Angling Trust in the event of pollution or other legal disputes.

I suggested you work in harmony with the EA and the canoeists because it is a battle you cannot win if only because you have no formal mandate to represent anyone. But you'd rather fight on, however futile, rather than seek compromise or access concessions.

And you've decided to p*** off those, like myself, who might have felt able to support you in some way. Well done!

You go on to accuse me of twisting messages and speaking untruths yet in the very next sentence you state, "I'm sure this river is of little interest to you anymore as you are invloved in your own business interests".

How ridiculous!

Of course I am interested in the Dearne having fished it for since the mid-1980's and it was folk like me who planted many of the bushes under which you now target chub. We were there long before the barbel were stocked and my issue is not with a bunch of canoeists, who I feel have as much right to be there as I have, because in the grand scale of things they'll do far less harm than the 'community' anglers you aim to represent by proxy.

I would still be interested in the river if I actually had these mysterious 'business interests' you accuse me of having. Regretably you must have me confused with someone else. I am a retired railway worker who supplements his pension through a bit of media work whenever the opportunity arises.

The river and its immediate habitat is in a pretty apalling state by the end of August each year and that's nothing to do with canoeists, twitchers or dog walkers. I'm afraid it's 100 per cent down to 'community' anglers who give nothing but wish to take everything.

But lets end there. I see no point in protracting this discussion. Your mind is set on a course that offers no benefits to mature, sensible and well behaved anglers like myself who would willing contribute to schemes that would benefit the river and its users as a whole.

There is no taxation without representation and it also follows that there's no representation without taxation. We as anglers have no formal representation at the table as we are not prepared to pay for the meal.

By all means moan away about the canoes or even me while you continue to wear your blinkers but don't expect anyone with intelligence or who isn't an angler to take you seriously.

I'm sorry this thread has developed into a bit of a spat but that was not my intention. I shall not respond further as there really isn't any point.