Gizmos From The House of Gadget

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anybody else invented a piece of fishing tackle they think would have been worthy of manufacture? Or invented something really daft? Or seen somebody elses invention they thought was either great or gormless?

A

andrew jackson

Hi Graham.
Probably shouldn't admit to this one, as it won't do my credability any good. Not that I have really got any to lose, but you know what I mean.
During the early eightys I fished a park lake that was dodgy to say the least. My biggest fear, being a brave lad (read stupid), was somebody reliving me of my tackle whilst I slept in my bivie.
After much thaught I came up with an alarm system, incorporating tiny micro switches on the butt rests. This system worked like a charm, once armed, anyone attempting to lift a rod of its rest, was in for a rude awakening. Much back slapping ensued, as I bragged amongst freinds about my ingenuety.
One fatefull night it happened, one minute I was fast asleep the next minute my alarms going off. Armed with something substantial I came bounding out of my bivie to be confronted by, well, nothing! Worse still, the alarms still going off, at god knows how many hundred decibels. All the other angler were woke up, and started to shout abuse. whilst I franticly fumbled in the dark trying to stop the infernal noise. I eventually pulled the batteries out.
I have not dabbled with electronics since prefering to leave it to the profesionalls. But one lession I did learn from my experience, that I would like to pass on to any potential inventer is. Fishing being an outdoor sport. Make sure your inventions dont short out when it rains.

S

Stewart Bloor

Graham, funny that you should bring up the subject of inventions...I'm currently working on a new piece of footwear whereby when you fall into the river, you don't actually go under, but the molecular structure of the rubber reacts with the surface film of the water...and you actually don't sink, but stand on the water. The implications are enormous, things such as bait droppers, bait boats, even pole cups are destined to be a thing of the past...Just one small problem though to date...I haven't quite perfected it...but I am encouraged that the designer of the electric light bulb had 2,000 failed experiments before he got it right...ah well, just another 1,435 soakings and I'll be a millionaire....

R

Rob Brownfield

Stewart, I do believe u are 2001 years too late. A certain Jesus H Christ first perfected walking on water when after Talapia.

hehe

P

Paul Williams

Well anyone can have a hero to emulate!!!!
Sedge don't be put off you keep trying, perhaps that light bulb would help.....just make sure it's plugged in before you enter the water!!!!!!!

David Preston

Reaction score
Getting back to the subject - I have a couple of ideas for fishing tackle. Does anyone have any experience of getting ideas used by a manufacturer?

P

Phil Hackett

David I've been down that route, if you E me off forum with your questions, I'll do my best to answer them.