Ye Men of Ye Fens

D

Dave Slater

Ron,
The similarities between Ringwood and your description of The Fens are remarkable. Hard to believe when they are so far apart. I must visit The Fens sometime as I have never been there.

C

Chris Bishop

I'm going to print this out and pin it up in the pub at Ramsey Forty Foot, with a picture of Ron with HE WROTE THIS over it.

R

Ron Clay

Go Ahead Chris! And when you, me and Graham go there in October, we will have a bloody good laugh!!

R

Ron Clay

And by the Way Dave, I'll bet Ringwood is nothing like as flat.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,
Straight roads! 1978 first night in the fens, I'm not driving, 80mph down a dead straight road, right angle bend.....Fortunately the farmer thought leaving the gate into the field a good idea...as we slowed in the ploughed field..we reduced speed after that. Ringwood's danger roads are the New Forest ones with stray ponies and deer....

Reaction score
I see the Fens have not changed a bit is the eel fishing as good as ever haven`t been there in forty years live in Scotland now.

C

Chris Bishop

I'd change your appearence if I were you Ron. You're a marked man now mate.

R

Ron Clay

I caught about 10 whilst fishing for tench and bream out of the Old Course of the Nene Near Benwick on my last trip.

C

Chris Bishop

Fishing in Yorkshire - a retrospective. From Angling Star...

It were always raining in Rotherham. Even on days when t'were fine, there were an unusually high amount of precipitation in t' air.

But ee' lad... Happen as like the rivers were polluted in't days when ah learned t' noble art. But I'll tell thee what. Wi' roach wi' two 'eads swimmin' abaht, tha rarely went short of a bite.

Ah knew a swim by't outfall for't black pudden factory. The water it were, well, black pudden coloured. When I were a lad, our Ma used to send us aht wi a bucket.

"By gum, thee add a few handfulls of porridge to watter from t'river and tha's got best black pudden this side o' Barnsley," she reckoned.

All t'miners used to flock to Ma's old van under Tinsley Viaduct. Th'owd lads reckoned her black puddens had mystical powers, like a kind of aphrodisiac.

She reckoned she 'ad to lock t'doors and draw t'curtains at times, when she 'ad a particularly lumpy batch. To take account of all t' mastication goin' on inside - or summat like that.

It were certainly popular, I'll give ee that. Whenivver I cycled past t'pit, on t'way to t'river, th'owd miners used to shout out: "Ows yer farver..."

When I said: "Me da's OK", they'd fair fall about laffin.

On't Don there was two kind o'fish. Ones tha could eat and t'ones wi two 'eads. Me Da explained t'difference one day on't bank, before he perished in't 66 Pigeon Racin' disaster, when driver o' t'charabanc from t'Slubbers Arms were so intent on watching t'birds glidin' ower Denley Moor, ee took 'is eye off t'road and they overturned.

"Now then lad, there's two type o'fish," he said, as I unhooked a jet black roach wi two eads from t'mine washing pit.

"Tha don' keep the ones wi two 'eads - like m an Owd Ma nivver kept babies wi' 11 toes."

R

Ron Clay

Aye, thi wer a good few bairns flushed daarn t' bog in t'owd days

Reaction score
What`s this about a black pudden factory everyone knows tha mines it. used to clean eels chop them up and fry them in butter and
garlic right there lovely grub.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The black puddin mines and the Jam Butty mines are about 3/4 of a mile from where I live ---next to ****y Mints house in Knotty Ash .....

R

Ron Clay

Black puddings were first mined in Pieland, near Wigan as it happens.

R

Ron Clay

By the way Eddie, have you ever been to Pieland? It's a strip of Lancashire with Standish and Wigan in the middle.

They speak strangely. It's a very difficult language to understand. Far more difficult than learning French, Zulu or Afrikaans.

Can you say any words of Pie Eddie?