shubumpkin??

J

Jason Lennon

I have just read that there is one shubumpkin at woodlands lakes near Thirsk, Nth Yorks.

What on earth is a shubumpkin? I've tried several search engines to try and find a description and/or picture, with no worthy results. Someone out there must know!!

J

Jason Lennon

If it's like a Koi, how would I tell its a shubumpkin and not a koi?
It's right spelling as I copied it and pasted the name of the fish from the article on the maggotdrowning site.

J

Jason Lennon

no, it just listed the fish contained within the lakes.

G

Gerry Castles

Sorry mate its spelt 'shubunkin', its a fancy goldfish. Not to be confused with a 'shebumpkin' which is in fact a female resident of the Fens.

J

Jason Lennon

cheers gerry, just copied & pasted your spelling into google & found a picture.

It's a bonny fish aint it? huge tailfin!
Hope the one in woodlands lakes is a big one - with a tail that size, it'll put up a good fight!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jason,
the tail isn't as effective as you might think as it's a flowing type with very soft rays, which don't give the thrust generated by shorter tails with thicker/stronger rays.

D

Dave Rothery

sharp "v" tails the best for speed (look at tuna etc)

R

Rodney Wrestt

yes Dave, but the rays through the tail are stronger in a tuna etc, the rays of a shubs tail are thin and soft they curve gently as the tail is used, they can fight but not as well as you would expect from a fish with a tail of that size (in proportion to the rest of the fish). Think of the thrust power produced by a rudder (Tuna tail) and an elastic band (Shub tail).

D

Davy North

They have a few strange fish in the lakes at Woodlands. One I've heard of is I think the spelling is bar-bel.

F

Fred Bonney

If Anglers Mail hear about this long tailed goldfish,no doubt they'l,send one of their team up there so he can catch it and spread a record claim over a few pages,just like they did with the Pumpkinseed!!!
I always thought this type of fishery was no more than a goldfish bowl.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
I used to have a couple in a goldfish bowl as a kid. The most prominent feature I can remember is their eyes. They stand out on stalks.

J

Jason Lennon

Cant believe I started a thread about a goldie!!! Say, has anyone reading this fished at woodlands lakes? if so please read my thread called "Woodlands Fishery" in the carp forum. Its been posted a full day & no-one on the crap - sorry - carp forum wants to help. Are all carpers reluctant to give a few helpful hints here & there? They must be scared of a bit of competition

D

Dave Rothery

we're all quaking in our boots jason.
crap mmmmmmmmmmmmmm