Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shubumpkin??

Jason Lennon Guest

I have just read that there is one shubumpkin at woodlands lakes near Thirsk, Nth Yorks.

What on earth is a shubumpkin? I've tried several search engines to try and find a description and/or picture, with no worthy results. Someone out there must know!!

Dave Rothery Guest

like a koi

its shrubumpkin i think

Jason Lennon Guest

If it's like a Koi, how would I tell its a shubumpkin and not a koi?
    It's right spelling as I copied it and pasted the name of the fish from the article on the maggotdrowning site.

Dave Rothery Guest

didnt it tell you all that in the article?

Jason Lennon Guest

no, it just listed the fish contained within the lakes.

Gerry Castles Guest

Sorry mate its spelt 'shubunkin', its a fancy goldfish. Not to be confused with a 'shebumpkin' which is in fact a female resident of the Fens.

Jason Lennon Guest

cheers gerry, just copied & pasted your spelling into google & found a picture.

It's a bonny fish aint it? huge tailfin!
    Hope the one in woodlands lakes is a big one - with a tail that size, it'll put up a good fight!

Rodney Wrestt Guest

Jason,
    the tail isn't as effective as you might think as it's a flowing type with very soft rays, which don't give the thrust generated by shorter tails with thicker/stronger rays.

Dave Rothery Guest

sharp "v" tails the best for speed (look at tuna etc)

Rodney Wrestt Guest

yes Dave, but the rays through the tail are stronger in a tuna etc, the rays of a shubs tail are thin and soft they curve gently as the tail is used, they can fight but not as well as you would expect from a fish with a tail of that size (in proportion to the rest of the fish). Think of the thrust power produced by a rudder (Tuna tail) and an elastic band (Shub tail).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast