J. Wilson Avon quiver tip system

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
In connection with my bream campaign I'm seriously considering purchasing the above rod. Do any of you have one of these rods and if so what are your opinions. I have the original J Wilson avon twin tip (built in quiver on one top section) and have nothing but praise for this rod. Also with a bit of shopping around I can pick up for ?65. All serious replies gratefully received. I hope I'm not going over old ground as this topic rings a bell but I couldn't find anything searching back.

P

Phil Hackett

The JW rod is excellent for rivers and river work. For Breaming I think it’s a bit to light in the TC at 1.4lb, particularly if you’re throwing 3 oz full feeders 70+ yards.
Much prefer something of 1.10, 1.12 TC and/or 2lb for this work.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Phil for what I have in mind at the moment it needs to throw a 3/4 -1oz bomb 20-30 yds max. 5-6lb mainline and 4lb hooklength.
However thanks for your reply.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Phil for what I have in mind at the moment it needs to throw a 3/4 -1oz bomb 20-30 yds max. 5-6lb mainline and 4lb hooklength.
However thanks for your reply.

P

Phil Hackett

Richard
If that's the sort of distance you're going to use them at, buy them! As they will do the job very well at that range and you'll feel the joy of playing the fish as well. Second thoughts Bream playing fish Nar!

C

Chris Bishop

Got me dad one for his birthday and he loves it - tried it for chubbing, tench on the float etc.

Looked a bit fiddly to me with the dolly butt and all the bits and pieces but he swears bu it.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Bought one myself earlier this year and used it in Ireland for the Bream and Hybrids and also used it on my local river for Barbel. It is an excellent rod and has only let me down once on a very large Barbel.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this rod to anyone as it is a cracking alround rod with a number of uses.

G

goff dyer

Ive had mine for over a year now, used it on the wye and the taff for barbel and chub (low water, i think not strong enough for flood conditions) and on a deep dock for bream, for the price a cracking rod.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Bought one at beginning of this season,at 1st for float/ledger work targeting tench.Great rod handles upto 8lb tench without any problems.After the 16th ive been trying my hand at river fishing and found it max`s out at about 3oz casting weight using the heavest quiver(green),best fish so far on rod is an 11lb 11oz ribble barbel this was in low water levels,with the avon top instead of the quiver i think it could just about handle winter water levels but not flood.
Only minus is it being a multi piece rod its not an option for ready made up trips roving the banks.

P

Phil Hackett

I have to disagree with Alan above, It’s a bad barbel rod. Or the one I have is anyway, all my barbel on the Ribble have come on the ABU Max Power rod I Use with it. My JW can only catch small chub so it’s crap for barbel.

S

Simon Scott

I have a JW Avon twin-tip that I bought in 1990 - I don't know how much they've changed since then, but I can't really complain about it, having taken chub to 6lb and carp to low doubles on it. One possible improvement (maybe available on the latest version?) would be interchangeable quivertips as I tried fishing a hard-running Kennet by Newbury a few years ago and the tip couldn't resist the force of the flow - so I decamped from the canal-type section and walked across the field to the smaller natural river, found a likely swim and promptly took the 6lb chub on b/end feeder and single maggot on a size 16, my last fish of the season on 14th March!