read between the lines.....

D

Dave Johnson

No punches held there Graham -which is good, but do we take it you did'nt actually catch a barb on it?

jon sands

Reaction score
Hi Graham;

Got to agree the bag is poor and the graphics are way over the top, but what a fun rod for catching barbel with.

I used it on Severn and have had 5-6lb barbel with it. The tip on the standard quiver tip is superb for registering bites, strong enough to lob a full method feeder 25 yards (sorry pureists among you)and has the power in the mid section to halt a barbel running for the weed.

i haven't used the other top section with the interchangable tips yet but they all fit together vey nicely.

I only paid ?45.95 for mine rather than the RRP of ?79.99 so i consider this to be a good deal for a quality rod.

I'd never heard of grauvell befor but will keep an eye for their products from now on.

Regards

Jon

ps I bought it from Deeside Fishing Tackle in North Wales and they had some left - 01244 813 674

Mike Grisham

Reaction score
I have to agree with previous post that the rod is actually a stunner. The bag is crap but the graphics are not that bad. I bought mine from J&K in Bicester for ?49 not the ?79 recommended so you have to consider this is a bargain rod for what it is. I have used mine on the Kennet using both tops and caught Barbel to 5lb and chub. Last week I also used the quiver top with heaviest tip for method fishing for carp and caught up to 12lb. I recon it makes a perfect rod for taking carp off the top with the 1 3/4 avon top.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
At ?40-odd instead of ?80.00 you'll get no arguments from me. It's a damn good rod for that money, in spite of the graphics and bag. But I did say it wasn't a bad blank, which is why it was such a pity it was let down by the presentation.

It's worth mentioning too, that the company have taken the criticism in the right spirit and will do something about it.

S

Stuart Bullard

Its funny, I was going to put up a thread about tackle reviews.

I went back over my old IYCF and CF mags yesterday as I was trying to find a particular review done some time ago. What struck me was that not once did I read any real criticism about a product, and the lowest score I found was 8/10.

Cant be right can it?

J

John Hepworth

"Avon" type rods, I am just wondering how high a T.C. can these go. Poor old **** walker must be turning in his grave. Forgive me in my ignorance.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I use a Shimano Aero 1.25lb Avon with 1,2,3 and 4oz quivers and what beaut of a rod it is. Soft at the top but progressive and it will handle big fish. Having said that, with barbel in particular, there are times when its a bit too forgiving and a heavier test curve is the only answer to that, so yes John I'm afraid there is a need for heavier rods and I think **** Walker(were he here) would have sussed that too.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Jon and Mike, why don't you do your own review of this rod in the Member Review section: <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/review/reviewproduct.asp?RPN=2394&RGN=9&RCN=77&SP=&V=1>here</a> for the benefit of anyone thinking of buying one. Much better if they have your views as well as mine.

Stuart, you have chance to set the record straight on the Member Review section too, by giving your own opinion about any tackle you've used. If it isn't listed you'll find a link whereby you can add it, or let us know if the brand isn't present.

John, I wouldn't set too much store by the 'Avon type' description. Just as all vacuum cleaners are called hoovers, most non-match and non-carp rods are referred to as 'Avon Types'. Probably time to worry when they're Called 'Avon' rods rather than 'Avon' types.

I think Walker would be more worried about all the 3lb to 4lb TC rods that are called carp rods, considering the MK4 Carp rod was just 1 1/2lb TC.

C

Chris Bishop

"I went back over my old IYCF and CF mags yesterday as I was trying to find a particular review done some time ago. What struck me was that not once did I read any real criticism about a product, and the lowest score I found was 8/10..."

What always surpises me is the amount of gear the mags review without anyone ever fishing with it.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Did anyone read Coarse Fisherman this month.

I rarely agree with John Bailey, but he is dead right when he says that shorter more flexible rods are better for putting maximum pressure on big fish than those horrid abortions you see today called "Carp Rods".

The FM concept is the ideal compremise - the best of both worlds. Same test curve as the Mk IV too.

B

Birds Nest

oh no, not this argument again..

Is there any way we can test this?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's easy to test but you don't really need to, the basic principle of levers is proof enough and the fact that the biggest fish are caught on the shortest rods, ie, sea fishing boat rods.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I should add that the shortest rod is not necessarily the best rod though, it depends on the application and that rods are also used for casting as well as playing fish.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
On that basis then Graham a tip action rod would be less capable of exerting pressure than a rod with a through action because it is a longer lever and if you follow this line of thinking it would be less inclined to cause hookpulls with certain species ie tench, roach and even carp.
I've tested this and it appears to be the case but the tackle industry often claim contrary to this.. I wonder why? Are we being conned? Are rods with a tip action more expensive to manufacture? Certainly Beach and Carp rods with a tip action cost more.
Just a few thoughts

K

Kevin Miller 1

Okay, I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now. Main reason is that my angling has been very sporadic to say the least. Under immense pressure from my nine year old son, I've dragged my kit out of retirement, made a few purchases and bought a Milton Keynes AA ticket. I'm currently looking for a suitable all rounder for my son. My local tackle shop has this rod for ?40.00. Would this be a suitable rod for my son to use on the Ouse and other MKAA waters? Main species sought would be chub, barbel and tench. An alternative I have considered is the Badger International Avon Quiver. Your thoughts please.

N

Nigel Moors 2

The simple rule of levers is that the longer the lever the more leverage, surely? If this is the case then a tip action that doesn't give so much along its length should be a better lever, no? The more give the less leverage or else you'd find ratchet handles in sockets sets made of jelly wouldn't you?

Rather than the Grauvell rod Kevin you can buy a perfectly good Shimano Hyperloop barbel rod for ?55 which features an 'avon' top and quiver, or else the best selling John Wilson Avon. Brilliant tool for almost most aspects unless fishing weedy swims for monsters.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Levers are not just about length. It depends where the fulcrum point is, and the fulcrum point on a fishing rod is, usually, where the reel seat is, which is the wrong end for applying maximum leverage. The longer the distance from fulcrum point to the end of the lever (rod) the more force is required from the angler.

Which is why you see so many anglers shifting the fulcrum point when fighting a prolonged battle with a big fish by grasping the rod part way up the blank above the handle.

N

Nigel Moors 2

You're right Graham - of course! The simple rule of levers is that I don't really have a clue!

J

jason fisher

you lot don't half makes me laff when you start on about this short rod long rod business and ron is supposed to be an educated man who knows something about mechanics.
the reason that big fish are played on short rods is because the force applied by a large fish would be multiplied to such a large degree by a long rod you would not be capable of counteracting it.
the pivot point of all rods held along the arm is the elbow. the pivot point of all rods in a butt pad is the but gimble.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If you read some of the posts again Jason you'll see that that is exactly what we've been saying.