Canals now open..

S

Stewart Bloor

I've been checking the BW web site regularly since the F&M epidemic caused them to close the canal system (certainly the rural parts).
I now notice that the canals are open - but only for boats. I'm trying not to be too cynical here, but surely a decision based on economic reasons (tourist industry)? Maybe a leaning on by the Government, therefore political reasons? But whatever, a decision to allow boats but not anglers doesn't make sense. After all, boats will be travelling the whole length of the canal, anglers generally will be confined to static areas near access points.

P

Paul Williams

As i understand it boats are indeed allowed but the towpaths are still closed, boats are only allowed to berth at marinas, oh yeah!!!!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Another of the 'rules' is that dogs are not allowed on boats. But then, in the next sentence they say, that if you do take a dog make sure it stays on the boat etc...You either have dogs or not, to introduce a ban and then give a legitimate get out clause is meaningless.

A

Andrew Thomas

Funny you should post this Stewart: I was in Kidderminster yesterday and noticed traffic on the canal passing by a notice closing the towpath. Complete nonsense of course, but then so was a blanket ban in the first place. Thoroughfare towpaths in urban areas miles away from the nearest stock were in no need of protection.

A

Andrew Thomas

Further to that,what happens at a lock? Presumably the boat owners will get through without placing feet on the towpath?

C

Carp Angler

Once again, it appears we are the soft touch.
We don't supplant the local economy with as much money as boat owners do we?

S

Stewart Bloor

Andrew, in relation to your question about locks - BW say that at some locks their officials will do the necessaries...Make of that what you will !!!