We Must Go On The Offensive

M

Michael Hall

I reckon that Chris Tarent should make his own videos as I have never see him on main stream market videos and he could ask silly questions like 'Are you sure its a carp ( or what ever ) do you want to phone a friend? oh well has anyone got any secret bait ideas(ground bait mixes, boilies mixes etc.) Any way hope to hear from people with any ideas.
fishing4fish40@hotmail.com

P

Paul Williams

Guy mentioned Roger Daltry.....he used to run a fishery now he is allegedly on the anti's side!!! i don't know which site because i don't visit them, but he is reffered to as a "friend" by them!
They are of course very clever how they enrol people.....a dog trussed up for the pot makes a thought provoking picture, problem is once you side with them on that one or similar they use you as a member who opposes all that they oppose.
My kids love fishing but on a trip to Chester last year they were drawn to a peta stall showing provoking pictures......be on your guard!!
Sad thing is that most anglers are conservationists and would probably give aid where it is genuinly needed, they also recognise a line has to be drawn.

K

Keith Whitehouse

Hi all,
As I mentioned in an earlier letter, I e-mailed my MP about angling, I have enclosed his reply below.
a reply to a question
I e-mailed my local MP who is Mr Oliver Heald MP who represents North Herts. My question was very simple, and was "What is your position concerning angling". I have received a hand written letter from Mr Heald and it says.
Many thanks for your e-mail about angling. The Conservative Party does not support legislation to ban angling. If a private members bill came forward to ban angling, I would vote against it
best wishes
Oliver Heald
if all other things are equal, then I suggest that to have in power a government who are actively against the banning of angling would be a very sensible thing to do. I would think that all anglers who wish to see their sport preserved by law should vote accordingly.
Keith

M

Malcolm Bason

I also emailed my local mp about 6 weeks ago and asked his views. I received a very farourable response, and to prove the point that he wasn't just bull sh****ng me, he enclosed a copy of a letter he had sent to local clubs in the area concerning the possibility of anti-anglers becoming more active.

D

Davy North

Vote Conservative or lose my fishing. If it ever came to that I'd think I'd have to emigrate. Thankfully it's not as party political as some people seem to think. I will stand up for our sport along side anyone.

D

Davy North

Vote Conservative or lose my fishing. If it ever came to that I'd think I'd have to emigrate. Thankfully it's not as party political as some people seem to think. I will stand up for our sport along side anyone.

P

Paul Williams

Davy,
I agree it isn't as party orientated as is made out.....they will ALL dump us if it costs them votes and back us for the same reason!! but it's up to us to put angling over to the public as a hobby they would be happy to let their kids take up.

G

Gareth Purnell

Interesting stuff. Surely it's about time angling had a full time PR guy paid for by the trade whose job it was to get angling positive national media coverage. If that included negative publicity about anti's in the job description, so be it.
The general public simply does not care enough about fishing one way or the other to back a ban right now, but if they are constantly confronted with images which portray us as barbarians then they certainly wouldn't fight one if it were proposed in parlisment.
You can be sure the antis are currently bettered briefed in the area oc national media relations than we are.
With the best will in the world, the NFA is not up to the job.

M

Michael Hall

Have we got any websites for angling so that we can promote fishing and then we can fight back at the anti's and promote fishing on a greater scale. I would do one for free but I cant put it on a .co.uk domain as that is where we need funds and so on but even if I do one on homestead or other free websites. If people are intrested then email me @:
fishing4fish40@hotmail.com
I would also give some reliable personel who would be prepared access to work on the website and so on. Although its only an idea I would rather make it reality and do soming about it then just talk about it. Please send me stuff to put into the website and i could have it up and running in three - four weeks.
So get sending that info to the above address.
Thanks
Michael Hall (15)

D

Davy North

Paul is right, politicians change their minds like the wind, but to be honest I don't think an offical ban on angling is a reality. However, it wouldn't take a ban to make our hobby unbearable. The anti's are after the hearts and mind of the general public, not so much the politicians, that comes later. Could you imagine what it would be like if through their propaganda they made fishing socially unacceptable even if it was still legal? It wouldn't be fun put it that way. Thankfully it's no where near that, and it's up to us to keep it that way.
We are all ambassadors for our sport and should act accordingly, being pleasent to the public, not leaving rubbish and discarded tackle on the bank (although we shouldn't need the anti's breathing down our necks to do that). Above all we must try to encourage young anglers.
Last year I started a football fanzine style angling mag in the Cleveland area, aiming to promte local angling and encourage the young, it was on sale in local tackle shops, with any profits going to the ACA. It didn't sell too well, probably because the quality wasn't up to much. Still I feel like I had a go, and there will be enough to send the ACA something and maybe I'll give it another go.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You're right Gareth, but surely this is where the Angling Alliance should be making inroads. They're supposed to be speaking for all of us now and PR in the shape of anti anti-angler propaganda must be part of their remit. And if it isn't, it should be.

M

Michael Hall

Hi Graham I have made a decision that I am going to continue with the website to promote fishing and so on. Would it be possible for you as a respected fisherman to send me some information on P.E.T.A and other anti's alike and how we can help fight against them? I hope to have this website up and running in three weeks or sooner. I would also like to say has anyone been to keiths homepage if you havent then i would go there now! @
http://www.keithshomepage.currantbun.com
Its packed full of stuff and I have found it a pleasue to read!

R

Ron Clay

It is very possible that the government would put controls and even special taxes on angling just has has been done with smoking, making it still legal, but as as socially unacceptable as possible. They might even start such organisations as "Anglers Anonymous".
Can you imagime the advert - "Give up angling in 6 weeks"? "Angling patches"?
Do I have to go on, it's making me upset.

A

Andy Mcwilliam

Can anybody out there point me in the direction of scientific literature on the fish and pain issue ?. It is very easy to argue our point regarding the environment etc., the tricky one is alleged fish cruelty.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've been asked to share this with you: (Graham):

Thanks for (hopefully) opening the eyes of some of the several million anglers in this country!

Here are a few of my thoughts on the matter:

* We must make sure that all anglers in the UK know about the threats to our sport. To that end the National Angling Alliance must ensure that all tackle shops and fisheries in the UK are kept up to date with the nature and activities of those who would ban our sport. A regular newsletter might be a good vehicle for this. Tackle dealers and fishery owners should hand out copies of the newsletters to their customers. That way the message might get across to all the 2-3 million of us!!!

* It must be made clear to all anglers and angling organisations that the morality of fox hunting is not the issue any more. It is the morality of angling. We must all be ready to defend ourselves verbally (the rantings and
lies of PETA provide a fertile ground for this) and try and explain the benefits of angling to those who are sceptical. It can be done. I (along with many others) already have! Ultimately, we are all ambassadors for our sport.

* We must make use of the diverse talent that we have in our sport, as well as our supporters. For example, we have actors, politicians, sports stars, film directors, musicians and TV presenters amongst us. What can David Seaman, Chris Tarrant, Jeremey Paxman, George Melly and others do to help? What about organisations that support us, such as the National Trust (who recently published a leaflet on fishing NT waters)?

* Funding. The editor of a fishing magazine recently complained in an editorial (ill-advisedly, in my view) that PETA was well funded, whilst we had little money. PETA and its allies must have enjoyed reading this. However, we can change that. Is there any good reason why we cannot start a fighting fund for the National Angling Alliance. Even if we were only to give ?1 each, the fund will soon become quite healthy. Many anglers and tackle companies would give much more, making the fund healthier still.

* We must form strong ties with anglers and angling organisations abroad. For example, I understand that American anglers have dealt with animal rights activists quite successfully. How did they do it? What can we learn from them? How can anglers around the world help each other now and in the future?

* Dealing with politicians, organisations etc. Politicians must be made to understand that there are 2-3 million of us, the majority of whom are old enough to vote. Their policy towards us will affect the way that we vote. 2-3 million votes may make the difference between winning and losing an election. MPs, and others, who exhibit anti-angling sentiment should be named, shamed and (for the want of a better word!) boycotted. The are sections of the media who will oblige us in this respect. A National Angling Alliance newsletter would also be of use. In the case of MPs who are against us, that means we will not vote for them at local and general elections. In
the case of organisations who are against us, that means not donating money to them. In the case of businesses, such as high street shops, who are against us, that means that neither we nor our families shop in them.

* At the end of the day, those who would ban angling must be made to understand this: They are dealing with a very large group of men and women, young and old, from all walks of life, who bring to the sport a multitude of talents. We will never give up angling. We will continue angling in the UK and abroad. And they've done us a big favour - they've helped us to start uniting at last!!!

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Maryniak

R

Ron Clay

A top class letter. Where can we send our ?5.00 to? Do The NAA have a fighting fund? If not it should start one

G

Goose Ganderton

Just thought you would like to read this. It has just been posted on AN.

Amber Waves: PETA leader hopes hoof-and-mouth disease comes to U.S.

Ingrid Newkirk's statement concerning hoof-and-mouth disease coming to the United States struck a nerve across the United States.
E-mails and mail from microbiologists, zoo operators, surgeons, dog breeders, public health veterinarians, people who did not indicate their affiliation and even a local animal rights activist came in, decrying Newkirk's statements.

"While I admire Ingrid Newkirk, I disagree with her very extreme statement that she hopes foot and mouth disease hits this country," Dorothy LaBorde of Amarillo wrote in a letter.

Newkirk, co-founder and president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, stated in a Reuters wire story for the Environmental News Network in early April that she "openly hopes" the hoof-and-mouth disease crosses the Atlantic to the United States.

LaBorde further stated, "I don't eat meat, and would like to see those who raise it put out of business - but neither do I want to see the slaughter of all of the animals in our country, such as those in private herds, zoos, animal sanctuaries, various pets, etc. Wholesale panic in our government would doom them all.

"That is not what I am fighting for in the animal welfare movement," LaBorde said. "I wish Ms. Newkirk would re-think and re-state her remarks."

Newkirk was quoted as saying, "I openly hope that it comes here. It will bring economic harm only for those who profit from giving people heart attacks and giving animals a concentration camp-like existence. It would be good for animals, good for human health and good for the environment."

Most of the letters and e-mail didn't share any admiration for Newkirk or the PETA organization. The following are some of their comments:

"While they espouse raising social consciousness regarding animals, they seem flawed in their assessment of the value of human beings. In a recent article by the Washington Times, a PETA spokesperson equates the slaughter of billions of chickens to the slaughter of millions of Jews during WWII. Unfortunately this organization attracts many new individuals who do not check beyond a sensational headline." - Katie G. Kight, Director of Marketing & Communications, Jacksonville Zoo.

"Another aspect of Ingrid Newkirk's irresponsibility on this issue is the potential impact on wildlife. At least 30 species of wildlife worldwide are known to be susceptible. Wild deer, goats and sheep are only three of the many species of cloven-hoofed wildlife in North America which could easily become infected. Does Ms. Newkirk hope for this as well and believe that suffering in these individuals and populations is worth it to achieve her desired meatless society?" - David H. Sesline, D.V.M., Public Health Veterinarian.

"Your article exposes them for who and what they really are. Arrogant and short-sighted small human beings. Only the truly small-minded could hope and wish for a plague such as this to come to our shores." - Gregg Pruitt, sales rep/RCS Communications Group.

Of course, there was one defender of Newkirk who said the Amber Waves article chose to twist Newkirk's words. No twist to the words, they were reprinted exactly as she was quoted by Reuters and on the ENN Website.

Sarah Whitman of Woodbury, Conn. said, "What I believe Ms. Newkirk means, and what seems to make sense, is that if 'that hideousness' meaning animal disease, comes to the U.S., it may wipe out many animal slave-owning businesses, thus creating a possible solution to the massive problem of animal exploitation and animal murder."

[this message was shortened to fit new size restrictions - contact the poster for full details]

M

Michael Hall

I think that I would almost certainly send ?5.00 + to help fund against antis and so on and I hope many other people would also do the same to help save their sport or hobby. I agree that we need to got political icons and other stars on our TV to help promote fishing and i am sure that Chris Tarrent and other stars would almost defenantly represent the 2-3 million of us fisherman/women but I think that we should also have a wide range of people from age to their type of fishing to show the intencity of the hobby or sport.
Yours sincerely
Michael Hall (15)

P

Paul Jebb

Hi chaps, apart from all the reasons already stated such as care of the environment and so on, what about the economic arguement.This i believe would be our most powerfull weapon in politics because money talks, can anybody supply facts and figures,for example how many tackle shops in the country,a figure for unemployment in the industry and the financial implications these would be very handy details to have to hand.

M

Mike Burden

Hi all,
I'm going back a little with this and offer my appologise. It was mentioned that we should do a cook type report on the anti's and i am all for this. I will go so far as to say that if there is anyone out there that has the necessary video and audio equipment I would like to give it a go. I have had recent experience in undercover work and would gladly try to infiltrate the antis with the right electronic back-up.

As i see it we have no fear from them entering a annual meeting at an angling club. But they have a lot to fear from us publicizing the topics in one of thier meetings.