ok whats an f1

S

Simon Hume-Spry

some old boy at cudmore told me they had f1 fish and they were a cross between a carp and a barbel i think he was talking **** has anyone heard of an f1 fish????

W

Wolfman Woody

In gardening terms an F1 is a hybrid of two strains of usually the same species, ie brussel sprouts. They are bred that way to produce bigger or nicer tasting crops. However, the seed from any fruit or florettes will never produce the same strain again. It will always revert to one or the other of the parents or be seedless, as in Jaffa.

Not heard of a cross between carp and barbel though.

A

Andy Nellist

F1 is a first generation hybrid. The parents are are pure bred but come from different species.

You cannot successfully cross barbel with carp.

The most common f1's you will hear referred to are Crucian x Goldfish which have been stocked in a lot of commercial match venues.

Barbel eggs have been fertilised by Bream and Chub (Pitts 1994) but none of the eggs survived beyond 60 hours after fertilisation.

P

Phil Hackett

Andy
Pitts 94 was correct at the time, but that was when GM technologywas in its infancy. It may not be true today. Who knows what the unscrupulous boffins in white coats have been up to on the content or the old eastern block.

On thing for sure the fishery owners aren’t going to tell us if they’ve got hold of some stock of them……..Something to do with the fact it’s illegal to import GM creations into the country at the moment and release them into the environment.

It’s also hyper-sensitive public opinion stuff as well.

But that will all change if Tony no problems with GM Blair gets his way.

P

Phil Hackett

Oops! Should read Continent not content. Bloody automatic spell checker!!!

S

Simon Hume-Spry

thanks jeff andy phil for clearing that one up but how long have f1s been around and whats pitts 94 ??

A

Andy Nellist

Simon

F1's always

F1 Crucian x Goldfish since goldfish were introduced to britain i.e. hundreds of years

there is today a much higher incidence of f1 and other hybrids because of the amount of fish movements. F1 crucian x goldfish have also been being deiberately stocked into commercial match venues with teh EA's consent. They were stocked because their maximum size is bigger than crucians but far smaller than carp which suits match fishing.

Pitts 1994 was crediting the chap who managed to fertize barbel eggs with milt from bream and chub.

Phil

If what you suggest comes to pass then the BRFC will definately have to start using DNA testing or we will end up with imported triploids holding all the records.

P

Phil Hackett

Absolutely Andy! I’m not so sure they would be triploids though? Not as we understand them to be at this point in time.

A

Andy Nellist

Sorry Phil it was a reference to the Hull report where the Gibel Carp sampled from Germany turned out to be triploid Goldfish

Pip Walters

Reaction score
F1 hybrids between goldfish and carpoften develop gonadal tumours as they reach sexual maturity and will die as a result. This could be why many commercials have suffered losses of these fish. I have bred true crucian / carp hybrids that have so far not suffered this fate even though they of breeding age.

Carp have also been successfully crossed with tench by E. Woynarovich in the sixties.