Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater Eels

Can you help with this study? If you have witnessed this phenomenon or have any information regarding it, please post here.

Stuart Bullard Guest

I didnt think there was any question that they do Graham. Lakes that are no where near any form of flooding river get them, and as they do not breed in the freshwater systems in the UK how else do they get there?

......well, thats what my big boy book of knowledge says!

Dave Slater Guest

I can only repeat what Stuart has said, but if you asked if i have actually witnessed it my answer would have to be no.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) Guest

It says they do here(its in Australia though)and lots of wierd things happen there

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...e_animals/eels

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) Guest

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au
    /1998/archives/26/pets,_pet_care,
    _backyard_&_native_animals/eels

Chris Bishop Guest

Didn't a big one come out of the water and slither off up the bank when Rex Hunt was playing it..?

Stuart Bullard Guest

Yeh - it was trying to get away. Cant say I blame it. Fancy being kissed by that lump!

Ron Troversial Clay Guest

Although I have never seen eels crossing land, I don't doubt that they may do it.

An eel can live longer out of water than most other fish. It can also crawl though grass very well indeed, almost as good as a snake. They are certainly, next to catfish, some of the most tenacious of life of any fish that swims.

The Monk Guest

they do travel across land, particularly when being transported to restuarnts

stephen cotton Guest

Kevin,

There's no doubt in my mind that eels are extremly mobile. However I have never seen a mature eel travelling overland myself, I have heard quite a few convincing stories from fellow eel anglers. Overall I think it might be quite a rare occasion as mature eels are very cautious and probably mostly leave stillwaters via ditches/overflows during periods of high rainfall. On some waters I think eels only manage to gain access during very extreme wet conditions and are most probably disinclined to leave until these conditions occur again (however infrequently). Stories I have heard include an eel being found in the morning, in a poor condition at the base of a recently built wall around a pond that blocked its movement to a nearby stream (from whence it originally came??). Another story is of eels leaving a water during daylight and moving into a wooded area to escape a massive deoxygenation of the water in question. Also my father has seen small eels leaving a local canal during a rainstorm a passing a short distance over grass before disapearing up a land drain. Given its likely rarity and the fact that it happens during dark rainy conditions its hardly suprising that it doesn't get observed that often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast