Scales

S

stephen cotton

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend a set of scales for accurately weighing smaller, sub 10lb or 5lb species? I'm currently using a set of 40lb Avons but feel sure that I can weigh fish like perch more accurately with different scales, but the only alternative I have found is a set of 30lb weighmasters. Help!

J

jason fisher

weighmaster do a set of 12lb flyweight scales, they might be what your'e looking for.
i'm the same as you though i just use my avons.

A

Andy Nellist

Avons and Weighmasters can be difficvult to ghet consistent readings from. The problem with the flyweights being partly due to the double support for the holding handle which means they do not always hang plumb. I weigh my fish on Reuben Heatons and carry a pair of flyweights as backup.

(Before anyone says it I know Reuben Heaton make the weighmaster flyweights)

F

Fred Bonney

How accurate do you need the scales to be,surely your current set are in 1oz divisions,why aren't they suitable?
If you want half oz.divisions Ruben Heaton have the Flyweight of 12lbx1/2.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Reuben Heaton make the weighmaster flyweights.

S

stephen cotton

Cheers lads, I'll see if my local tackle shop can get some of the 12lb flyweights in. In reply to Fred I reckon if I weigh a 3lb fish on a set of 12lb scales, using 25% of the range its got to be less prone to error than using only about 7.5% of the range on my 40lb Avons. Or am I just talking rubbish??

F

Fred Bonney

I don't think there's enough to worry about,unless your claiming a record,then there will be somebody at the end of a 'phone with a perfect set!

J

jason fisher

alright then another scaley question,
what would you say would be your ideal set of scales for weighing roach,rudd, perch and chub.