Exotic "fishing" Holiday......

martin close

Reaction score
Hi Sascha

Come down to Australia, the time of year you want to travel is perfect to go to Queensland, temperatures in the mid to low 30's centigrade, fishing is everything from lure tossing or worm drowning in the rivers to big game or reef fishing, species you've never seen before. It's easy to get to, pack light cotton clothes for comfort, a very relaxed attitude to dress, neat casual being the norm, no need to dress up for dinner or a night out. Foods great, a lot of different cuisines to choose from, beers cold. Plenty for the lovely wife to do from shopping to tropical rainforest walks and great barrier reef trips. I've been up there and can recommend it.

Martin from Melbourne (Aust)

S

Sascha Welsch

Thanks Martin.
Trust me, she'll be on the boat battling it out with the fish too. It's just the unhooking that we havn't quite mastered yet!!! I'll never forget the first surface lure pike she hooked, I thought she was going to throw the rod in for a second or two. Any recommendations of places to stay?

J

Jez Thomas

Hello Sascha,

I'm off to Baja in Mexico this year with a few fellow angling nuts and may have a fews spare spaces. Marlin (striped) are our main target. My last trip saw me and the wife land 7 in 5 days all around the 120-180lb mark. They swim at over 70mph and on 30lb gear give a serious scrap.
I have been to Kenya (good) big fish not so many. Fiji (no fish) Tahiti very exspensive good fishing (my best Marlin a blue).
Maldives lots of sail fish. But Baja is the place to go. Whale watching if we get the time of year right, Great night life (leave the misses at home). good beach not sure about snorklig.
I am serious so let me know.
Jez.
(Sorry about the spelling)

G

Gary Knowles

Sascha,

Didn't use a guide in America, the fishing spots were easy enough to find and access on your own.

martin close

Reaction score
Hello again sascha

There are too many places to recommend but heres the one which i think might suit you best, try Cairns, its within the great barrier reef area, tourism is very well catered for in both accomodation and proximity to attractions, try the website www.queensland-holiday.com.au that will give you more than i can, the distance between the Gold Coast (tourist mecca) and Cairns is about the same as the length of England, so plan well if you don't like to travel much. The wife might like some of our toothsome species like Mangrove Jack instead of pike, smaller but with big teeth.
Thanks to all that welcomed me here, Rex Hunt is starting to learn and spread the word about coarse angling, now we just have to get the oldtimers to think of our gear as good for more than just Carp.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Sascha, Martin is right the area around Cairns is fabulous, with plenty of great beaches. We booked our 1st apartment further South near Surfers on thr net. The second at Trinity Beach about 10-15 miles north of Cairns we found on arrival. Trip to the reef is a must snorkel and scuba diving in abundance. Caught a few decent fish off the beach. Martin is right about distances took us 3 days to drive from Brisbane to Cairns with no hanging about. Plenty of cheap good quality accomadation to be found on route.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

He has many names but i wont mention them on here as it might offend!

S

Sascha Welsch

How very strange.....I posted on this thread last night and for some reason it isn't here now?????? and I hadn't touched a drop!!

Basically it was along the lines of....getting there Richard. Doing more research on Mexico, Florida Keys and Oz so should be able to book something in the Spring.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions.