Exotic "fishing" Holiday......

S

Sascha Welsch

Hi Folks,
This year I've decided to splash the cash a bit and have a couple of weeks on holiday somewhere hot with decent fishing. Now as "she who must be obeyed" will be coming along (she does fish but not for two weeks at a time!) the holiday would ideally have the following or a good mix of them:

Hot 'n' sunny in September/October/November
Decent beaches with good snorkelling, scuba etc
Good accomadation
Good, local food
Plenty to see locally, ideally somewhere historically impressive with nice landscape
Good fishing without paying the earth either charter type or taking my own gear and can be all types e.g. lures, bait etc

I've considered so far: Ebro cats, Mexico big game, Florida bonefish and tarpon etc, Indian Mahseer - but prob' wrong time of year? and Nile perch.

If any of you can give me recommendations on any of these or other destinations based on your experiences it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

T

Tony Carter

Ha - i was just thinking the very same thing myself! - I am also in a very similar position to yourself - Has anybody stayed at the Capetown Accomodation - offered on the link at the left on the home page. It looks superb - are flights to SA very expensive?? Have a look at this Sascha - also look at the John Wilson fishing Safaria
book - loads of tips on where to go what to fish for etc..

G

Gary Knowles

Florida for brilliant and easy access to coastal fishing but the hire of boats is pretty expensive.

Cuba for brilliant but potentially difficult access to fishing but much cheaper charters available.

Catfishing probably wouldn't go down too well with the missus but the former two would.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Mauritius, just superb. Was there last year as well as Mexico. Indian ocean mate.

Saying that, them 140lb Florida Herrings go some, shite snorkelling though.

T

Tony Carter

Does anyone know if the links for holidays on the homepage are vetted in anyway - or has anybody used them??

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
You could do a lot worse than heading off to Thailand at that time of year, the fishing is great, snorkelling and scuba are very good as is the food. Pick your hotel with care, some caxn be poor but others like the Hilton are very good value for money. There is also some spectacular scenes around as well.

S

Sascha Welsch

Cheers guys.
Gary,
I've watched Mr Hayes quite a bit in Cuba but it always looked unprofessional i.e.a social boat rather than fishing boat so probably not the best holiday type when the missus goes too.
I did Florida years ago but it was more holiday than fishing. Are there any guides that you can recommended?

Warren,
Was in the Maldives a couple of years ago, snorkelling and scuba was awesome but unfortunately no fishing off the house reefs and the opportunities to hire a boat were non existant.
Did you do any "off your own back" shorefishing in Mexico?

W

Florida, Key West, Jack Kelly, boat is called Windy Day.

Beach fishing, only with the locals, was good fun.

alan strickland

Reaction score
nile perch with a week visiting luxor or diving out of the red sea coastal resorts(try and get as far south as you can for the best diving) would be my choice,although if i can get the cash together id love a bash at the ebro cats.

D

Duncan Kellett

Hows about Vancouver, British Columbia

Fishing for various salmon species and sturgeon to +600lb, reasonable charter rates - ?400 for 3 days fully guided plus tackle and accommodation.
Temps are ok early 20?s in September
Foods great
Scenery ? well a short drive up into the Rockies and you get all you want

And if you get bored with the rivers you can also go halibut fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Seychelles!

One of the last outposts of a true tropical island. Magnificent sea fishing. No phones, no TV, No 5 star hotels, no silly artificial swimming pools. No toilets, no baths or showers (what's wrong with the sea?)

Just a simple basic grass beach hut. Tropical fruit. Home distilled rum, fantastic sea food which you catch yourself. Bird life is incredible, and not just the feathered kind either. Huge spiders, 8 inch centipedes and the biggest preying mantids I have ever seen.

Well it was like this 30 years ago.

And a lousy airstrip.

I suppose today it's been ruined.

W

Loads of 5 star hotels there now.

Place to go if you really want to GET AWAY FROM IT ALL is a small island in the Maldives.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Another Garden of Eden is the Okavango Swamps in Botswana.

Excellent fishing for Tigerfish, Tilapia and about 15 other species, game viewing from your boat, lots of crocs and hippos, evenings spent with cold beers and fish on the barbie, cheap booze, incredible insect life including some of the most beautiful butterflies in the world.

Again no telephones, radio or TV.

Absolutely fabulous.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

There once was a couple of carp taken in the Swamps but we belted them between the eyes and chucked them at the crocs.

Can't complain about that, we didn't let them gasp to death.

Seriously, carp in these sorts of places are classified as worse than vermin, and so they should be.

D

Dave Rothery

worse than a scouser?

how about trying the great barrier reef?

S

Sascha Welsch

Thanks all.
A mate was in Canada sturgeon fishing in September and I must admit it looks awesome, only problem is the mrs prefers the temps a bit higher. It's on my list of "a lads" fishing holiday for the future though.

Maldives - superb but fishing limited due to very strict laws. Snorkelling was the best ever until I was stalked by a big white tipped reef shark for 10 mins. Talk about crapping yourself but at the same time being quite fascinated.

GB Reef - definate possibility. Have you been Dave?

Seychelles - Ron, they have definately changed! Good fishing though I believe for bonefish on the fly.

D

Dave Rothery

my brother/sister inlaws out there for 6 weeks as we speak. lucky barstewards. she's a dive instructor and they might just stay.......

B

Budgie Burgess

Wouldnt reccomend Catting in Spain or Masheer in India if you are taking the wife.A bit rough and ready.Forget about the Alligator Gar trips as well!
Try some salt flats fly fishing.Many locations all with excellent holidaying facilitys.The missus will be a lot keener on subsequent "fishing holidays" after a trip to Bermuda or the Bahamas etc than if you take her to the Ebro or have her crapping through the eye of a needle in India!Also no matter how keen you are it is nigh on impossible to fish for Bones,Permit,Tarpon etc all day in the sun.Early morning sessions will leave you with plenty of time to spend with the missus.

Not done the Egypt/Perch/Pyramid thing myself but several of my customers have and they have all spoke well of it.