The Shortcomings

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
J

jason fisher

personaly i have the line coming off the top of the pin so that i can use my index finger to lay it across the top of the spool like a level wind while i'm batting in, i think this helps to stop it bedding in.
maybe the other reason i'm happy to use a fixed spool is i've used one for years, i havent used a close face since the late 80's,
and i've only had a pin for about 4 months, but i used a friends a few times years ago.
The other problem i have is in my favorite swim the prevailing wind is downstream into your face and tends to push the float into the near bank.

A

Alan Cooper

I'd agree with John that I never have had any problem with keeping up with a fish on a centrepin. But I am not casting 75 yards with them as I sometimes do when carp fishing. And yes, I have had carp run directly toward me and have barely kept up even with a fixed spool. But this happens less when I fish my centrepins for barbel on rivers as their running is to left or right (downstream mostly) and there isn't really a problem.

But Jason, its in the sensitivity of control that the centrepin (in my view)scores outright over the fixed spool. My thumb is on the reel lip all the time - not only can I give line but I can instantly and continuously adjust the amount of pressure I want to exert on the fish and I can FEEL the fish not only through the rod but also through the line and reel. Just no contest for me except for long casting and the bloody wind (I can't get on with the line coming off the top of the centrepin).

J

John Pleasance

Jason, I fish the Avon and Stour,not particularly big rivers for the most part.

I've never bothered to measure or even estimate how far I can cast but it's always been far enough.I can trundle a bit of meat with a couple of swanshot attached down the far bank if I want to,I could also put a feeder over there if I wanted to but I would lose one of the benefits of legering with a pin; accuracy.

Fished fairly close in, a feeder (or a bait dropper) can be put right on the same spot every time. This can also be done very quietly,no big sploosh to scare the fish,just slide it into the water.

Next time I'm out I'll toss my meat in the field and measure it for you!

I don't like the line coming off the top either Alan.

R

Richard Drayson

John says "Next time I'm out I'll toss my meat in the field and measure it for you!"

OOoooer!!!

C

Colin Hutchinson

John says "Next time I'm out I'll toss my meat in the field and measure it for you!"

You Southerners, :)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Its a wonder the moderater didn't delete that ......

J

John Pleasance

I was well aware of what I was writing chaps; just trying to inject a little levity.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Here's a way of casting a long distance with a centrepin.

You need a 'pin with spokes or slots one either side of the spool.

Put your thumb on the rim of the spool to prevent the line coming off and remove the spool from the frame. Hold the spool with three fingers through the slots and keep your thumb on the line. Take a steady swing with the rod, release the line with your thumb and point the axis of the spool towards the first rod ring. The line will leave the spool in the manner of a fixed spool reel. I have cast up to 60 yards like this.

Then you put the spool back on the frame and continue as normal.

The next cast you do you need to reverse the position of the spool so that you do not get line twists.

Simple innit!

J

John Pleasance

........or just let the line come off via your index finger, held about 6" above the centre of the spool ...... even simpler ...... also, if you use braid there is no need to worry about line twist.

adam martin 2

Reaction score
I brought a Bob James pin back in the summer it`s taken six months to get to grips with it properly.

By carefully selecting swims i caught fish straight away but since xmas ive had Grayling to 2Lbs and Carp. Sunday i had 2 Common Carp to 7.5lBS.

Yes they maybe troublesome to start with but the sense of acheivement is fantastic, i was jumping up and down.

Is it a fashion statement or just a reaction to the bivy and bolt rig boys ??

I wouldnt swap mine for all the bite alarms in the world !!!

Adam Martin

D

Dave Feeney

adam
I know just what you mean,can't wipe the stupid grin of my face when playing a fish on my pin,even my mates are getting into them, in fact come the warmer months we only use pins for floating crust work,amazing how far you can "wallis" a piece of crust.

J

John Hepworth

Not read all the postings but I agree entirely with your first comment Ron; I can do everything with my old Shakespeare International close face reel that I could with a CP. The line comes of the rim of the spool like a dream and nothing is lost in the gearing (as some would have you believe) as it only has two. Asyou say Ron, OK for posing.

sis the roach

Reaction score
yes at the end of the day each to there own,i mostly use closed faced reel for trotting or a fixed spool and i still enjoy using a old stanton centrepin that i can cast with once youve learned the fwk wallace cast its like swimming you never forget and as for speed they was a match organised in the late 50s fished above stoke weir and all the top blokes benny ashurst billy lane jim sharpe to name a few and both sharpe and ashurst had the fish goin and sharpe was getting 2 fish in to ashurst 1 on a centrepin i was told by the late jonny rolfe that tom saville has a 35mm film of this match but ive never seen it myself

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Is it not about the feel of the tool rather than the tool itself.
I'm a chippy and when hanging doors I use a router, job done, quick as a flash.
But I take no pride in my router, the thing I take pride in is my chisel's, no one else use's my chisel's, anyone can use my router.
I've got an Abu 704 that work's really well, but I still want a pin, when I find the right one.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Not seen the film,but i've got 3 of Jim Sharpe's old centrepin reels(one trout),my mate has got his trout landing net,never seen one better designed even now.

T

Tony Rocca

John said,
"I can do everything with my old Shakespeare International close face reel that I could with a CP."

Really? then prey tell how you can trot at 75% the speed of flow with a totally constant presentation.

None of that dab dab on the closed faced rim now, jerky, jerky that is.

With a pin presentation is king and it can not always be reproduced by a closed faced reel.

Rubbish on a windy day though as has been said.

L

Laurie Harper

I reckon it's not worth trying to establish which is better. I like to use a 'pin sometimes. Couldn't care less if it's less "efficient" or whatever. I go fishing because I want to enjoy myself. Whatever floats my/your boat, etc...

Beecy

Reaction score
You can get the desired smooth slow down (almost) Tony by sweeping line off the rod then following the float down on a tight line, the only little ?jerkiness? you get is the split second it takes to sweep more line off at the end of the rods arc

( just read that back and im not sure it makes sense !, cant think of better wording though )