Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The size limits date back to the 19th century when they were smaller than those I quoted and keepnets didn't exist.

In the mid 70s we got the knotless keepnets and the Oxford and Swindon anglers, many of whom fished waters like the Bristol Avon, stopped fishing to size limits even though they were legally bound to do so. It was the LAA clinging to them but eventually the law changed for the better. I fished an open in 1979 that certainly was not to size limits though whether the law had changed by then I don't know. Many top London match anglers left the LAA so that they could fish elsewhere without the size limits. I believe the LAA rejoined the NFA in about 1976 and fished a national without the constraint of size limits.

There is some sense in not putting very small fish in keepnets when pleasure fishing. No need to measure them but anything less than 6" should go straight back regardless.

'9" is a goer anything less is thrown back'

I knew a girl like that once.......... but not for long

Match fishing has changed beyond all recognitian from the days when all the matches I fished were fished to local size limits. Todays match anglers' tend to expect to catch 70/100lb every time they go out, whereas in my early days of size limit match angling, most matches would be won with bags 10 to 15lb, with the exception being if someone sat on a bream shoal, when it might be 30 or 40lb.

Kent had very slightly different size limits to Thames. Different River Authorities had different size limits.

Blog Entries

Dave, A question David-- I think it was in the sixties that a Dave Burr won the all england on the Huntspill/king sedgemoor drain while fishing for Rugby. He smashed the old match record made on the same venue by dear old Jack Carr from my old town of Sheffield, are you one and the same guy ? Looking at your address maybe not but am I right?
    ps, If that match and the format enjoyed by many in those days was to be reintroduced I would be tempted to dig out all my match gear and have a go for old times sake. points system and sponsership did more harm than good IMHO. there, got that off my chest!--

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Dave, A question David-- I think it was in the sixties that a Dave Burr won the all england on the Huntspill/king sedgemoor drain while fishing for Rugby. He smashed the old match record made on the same venue by dear old Jack Carr from my old town of Sheffield, are you one and the same guy ? Looking at your address maybe not but am I right?
    ps, If that match and the format enjoyed by many in those days was to be reintroduced I would be tempted to dig out all my match gear and have a go for old times sake. points system and sponsership did more harm than good IMHO. there, got that off my chest!--
    I have already asked Dave that same question some months ago, and he answered that he is not the same Dave Burr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12