Fishing The Method

S

Stewart Bloor

Good article Pete.
I know there are lots of specific method groundbaits around, but who can recommend a good mix that anglers can make up themselves, thus reducing the price, as method groundbaits tend to be a bit expensive. What ingredients specifically that will ensure the mix stays on the feeder when cast?

P

Paul Williams

Sedge, in your case....concrete!! with the hook bait enclosed in it!!.....it won't affect your catch rate....snigger..

A

Andy Thatcher

Try this Stewart. Fill a bait box with trout pellets. Half fill it with boiling water. Leave it for 30 minutes. After waiting I generally ad a few bits & pieces such as hookbaits samples, dead maggots, live maggots, corn, any liquids such as Minimino that you think may help. Do not overdo the freebies though. Then mush the concoction with your hands until a firm mix is achieved. It takes a little experimentation but it will do the job.

P

peter webber

Firstly thanks Sedge

Try this one:

4lb Bread crumb ( I use the red )
2lb crushed trout pellets.
2 tins of sweetcorn ( liquidized )
1 cup of flake maize
1 cup of baby milk
1 bag of crushed hemp

Mix this up using liquid Molasess in the water until it just holds to gether when you squeeze it.

Time to add your pellets etc, I use small pellets, whole sweetcorn.

Now split the mix up 2/3 to 1/3 and put the 2/3 to one side.
Add more water to the other 1/3 but not too much, you should be able to put this on to the feeder to form a hard inner ball.

So you now have two mix'es:
1, Cover the feeder with the wetter mix and pack it tightly.

2, Cover this with the dryer mix.

Doing this when you have casted out the dryer mix will start to break up when it hits the bottom sending out a trail, but the wetter mix will stay on the feeder giving the fish some thing to go for when atracked by the trail.

Pete

C

Carp Angler

If you want cheap, then use

Vitalin (wetted with hot gravy)
Scalded pellet
liquidised sweetcorn.

Good for lake and rivers.

A

Alan John Degville

Very good article pete , very useful to me for fishing my club`s own pool.Can you tell me how you set up the free running rig has this set up would be ideal for me on the club`s pool. Where we can now fish any type of feeder as long has it is free running.
Cheer`s Larry

A

Alan John Degville

sedge you can make the method mix go further by doing this. 4 CUPS OF BROWN GROUND BAIT,
2 CUPS OF CARP 2000 (eg large coffee mug`s)
mix together add 2 pints of cooked hemp
2 tins of sweet corn (take corn out of tin first) plus any free offering`s use water out of hemp to mix up with .go sparingly on free offering`s you want the carp to be seaching for more freebie`s

M

MALC DOYLE

Here's a mix i use for spring to autumn fishing i've been playing around with various forms of mix for around 5 or 6 years and this is the main one i have used for the past two seasons.
I've also found that bream love it.
I mix it in large qty and freeze it in 5lb bags

10lb fine brown crumb
5lb pure fishmeal
3lb pure molasses meal
3lb powered dog meal
1lb crused hemp
5lb soaked turkey pellet
2lb 3mm sinking pellet
1lb mixed floating pellet
1lb boiled rice (dyed red)
2lb frozen corn
The above is mixed with 4lb frozen corn liquidised and water from cooking hemp
and home made liquid molasses.
It can either be solid or soft depending on how tight you squeeze on the feeder.
I buy all the ingredients from a pet feed supplier in bulk so the above mix in the qty stated (33lb dry) only works out at around ?13 to ?15.
Not bad when you think a bag of method g/bait is around ?2 or ?3 for 1kg (2lb).

P

peter webber

Alan

There is a Method feeder out ( i forget the name it's black/green frame ) This comes with elastic and swivels.
Don't use the elastic just put the feeder on your main line heavy end towards the hook. Tie a swivel on and then your hooklength on the other end of the swivel.
I'll try and get the make for you, I should know I use this feeder all the time.

Pete

A

Alan John Degville

IF YOU BUY HORSE MOLASSE`S FROM PET OR ANIMAL FEED SUPPLIER`S.You will get a gallon for the price of a couple of bottle`s of Van Den Ende Molass`e.
Also Sedge the junior angler`s Buy chicken mash it`s very cheap they buy 7lb`s a time.

David Preston

Reaction score
To reply to Peter - it's the Middy one.

Regarding some of the mixes above - are you guys fishing for carp, or herds of grazing animals? That much bait would last me several seasons!

Much simpler recipe -

25% brown crumb
25% ground pellet
25% layers mash
25% fishmeal

Or if you're buying it, either VDE or Sensas method mix are both excellent.

M

MALC DOYLE

In answer to David
As i say i freeze my mixes in 5lb bags so thats why i mix in large qty, then i can be sure i've always got my mixes ready and dont have to waste time mixing as i work silly shifts and fish as much as i can.Also lucky to have a chest freezer otherwise i'd mix smaller qty.(and undestanding wife)

David Preston

Reaction score
I was only teasing ;-)

Only being limited to the bottom drawer of the freezer, and that full of deadbaits, hemp, frozen maggies, black lug etc, I tend to mix mine on the day!

David Preston

Reaction score
First time I saw it used was Fish'o'Mania 1 at Mallory Park.

Took me best part of two years before I gave it a proper try and now it's a favourite method.

R

Ron Clay

OK, I first saw it in 1967, the year I emigrated to South Africa. Local anglers, I was told had been using a mixture of crusshed maize and maize meal for over 40 years in this part of the world. It was moulded around a spiral of wire just above the lead

C

Carp Angler

Similar thing in the US Ron.
A pack bait around their hookbait.
Which is basically a thick groundbait of varying types packed around the hook.

That 'method' has been around longer than Graham.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
What have I done to deserve all this abuse? I get past my 50th year by a year or two and all of a sudden people think I'm old.

R

Ron Clay

Age is something we all have to bear. I remember casting a fly line from the bank at Hanningfield not so long ago.

A young guy with all the posing gear came along and watched as I landed a nice 3 pound rainbow. He then when back to his mate. I overheard him say "Cor, you should have seen that old geezer cast a line, and wiv an old rod too".

When will they learn

B

Birds Nest

As a matter of interest, what strenght rods would you use for the method ? I'm thinking of using it instead of my usual Drennan Mesh feeders for my Tenching, using a couple of light Avons, will I get away with these rods (1.25lbs) ? or should i think about stepping up to heaver stuff ?