Wendy Turner Webster & Peta

P

Phil Hackett

As stated in my last post, here is a complete list of all the papers I am aware of in relation to Anglers leadshot and swans.

I must make a small correction to my last post, I stated that Dr Spillett worked for the FBA, in fact it was the Institute of Fisheries Management.

Smith M. (1983) Where Every Miss Counts. Guardian News Paper 15/12/83.

Parslow J.L.F., Thomson G.J. & Willams T.D. (1982) Heavy Metals in the Livers of Waterfowl from the Ouse Washes England. Journal ofEnvironmental Pollution 29. p.317-327.

Mudge G.P. (1983) The Incidence and Significance of Ingested Lead Pellet Poisoning in British Wildfowl. Journal of Biological Conservation 27. p.333-372.

Spillett P.B. (1984) A Review of Lead Posioning in Swans. Institute of Fisheries Management.

Nature Conservency Council Report (1981) Lead Posining in Swans. p.44.

Thomas G.J. (1980) A Review of Ingested Lead Posioning in Waterfowl. I.W.R.B. Bulletin 46. p.43-60.

Birkhead M. (1981) How Fisheries kill Swans. New Sientist 90 p.14-15.

Birkhead M. (1982) Causes of Mortality in Mute Swans on the river Themes. Journal of Zoology 198. p.15-25.

Birkhead M. (1983) Lead Levels in the Blood of Mute Swans on the river Themes. Journal of Zoology 199. p.59-73.

Birkhead M. & Perrins C.M. (1981) The Decline of the Royal Swan. New Scientist 91. p75-77.

Edwards R.W. & Bell D.V. (1985) Fishing in Troubled Waters.New Scientist 1446. p19-21.

Edwards R.W. & Bell D.V. (1985) The Impact of Angling on Wildlife. Proceeds of the 4th British Freshwater Conference.

Simpson V.R. & Hunt A.E. (1979) Cronic Lead Posioning in a Heard of Mute Swans. Journal Of Environmental Pollution 18. p187-202.

Leah R.T. (1985) Lead and Swans: Environment and Politics. Aquatic Update 2. Uni. of Liverpool.

Re-reading some of these paper today, how we lost the leadshot issue is beyond belief, as much of the evidence that was presented at the time contradicts itself time and time again.
I can only assume that the Angling powers that be at the time, had their head up their arse!

P

Phil Hackett

As stated in my last post, here is a complete list of all the papers I am aware of in relation to Anglers leadshot and swans.

I must make a small correction to my last post, I stated that Dr Spillett worked for the FBA, in fact it was the Institute of Fisheries Management.

Smith M. (1983) Where Every Miss Counts. Guardian News Paper 15/12/83.

Parslow J.L.F., Thomson G.J. & Willams T.D. (1982) Heavy Metals in the Livers of Waterfowl from the Ouse Washes England. Journal ofEnvironmental Pollution 29. p.317-327.

Mudge G.P. (1983) The Incidence and Significance of Ingested Lead Pellet Poisoning in British Wildfowl. Journal of Biological Conservation 27. p.333-372.

Spillett P.B. (1984) A Review of Lead Posioning in Swans. Institute of Fisheries Management.

Nature Conservency Council Report (1981) Lead Posining in Swans. p.44.

Thomas G.J. (1980) A Review of Ingested Lead Posioning in Waterfowl. I.W.R.B. Bulletin 46. p.43-60.

Birkhead M. (1981) How Fisheries kill Swans. New Sientist 90 p.14-15.

Birkhead M. (1982) Causes of Mortality in Mute Swans on the river Themes. Journal of Zoology 198. p.15-25.

Birkhead M. (1983) Lead Levels in the Blood of Mute Swans on the river Themes. Journal of Zoology 199. p.59-73.

Birkhead M. & Perrins C.M. (1981) The Decline of the Royal Swan. New Scientist 91. p75-77.

Edwards R.W. & Bell D.V. (1985) Fishing in Troubled Waters.New Scientist 1446. p19-21.

Edwards R.W. & Bell D.V. (1985) The Impact of Angling on Wildlife. Proceeds of the 4th British Freshwater Conference.

Simpson V.R. & Hunt A.E. (1979) Cronic Lead Posioning in a Heard of Mute Swans. Journal Of Environmental Pollution 18. p187-202.

Leah R.T. (1985) Lead and Swans: Environment and Politics. Aquatic Update 2. Uni. of Liverpool.

Re-reading some of these paper today, how we lost the leadshot issue is beyond belief, as much of the evidence that was presented at the time contradicts itself time and time again.
I can only assume that the Angling powers that be at the time, had their head up their arse!

P

Phil Hackett

Seem to have postrd twice! Well it is that good! a bit like New York New York!

K

Kevan Farmer

With regard to the contradictory bit Phil that's exactly what I thought at the time. Any idea where we might be able to take a look at these papers? I don't suppose any are published on the web anywhere? I know it's late in the day but if we can find flaws then it's more ammo against the anti's because you can be sure they would bring it up again.

K

Kevan Farmer

Sorry Phil but I have to ask, this title:
Simpson V.R. & Hunt A.E. (1979) Cronic Lead Posioning in a Heard of Mute Swans.
Journal Of Environmental Pollution 18. p187-202.

Is it for real? A Heard of Mute Swans? I'm not picking flies with you so please don't take offence. I would have thought that any journal worth its salt would have published it as a flock. Or am I wrong? Nothing new of course :)

D

David OLoughlin

Sorry to drag this up again but I came across this having a look around. I think this was the original PETA call to action. Not that it makes any difference but the daft bat obviously doesn't know the difference between U.K. & U.S.

Ask the Boy Scouts to Retire Their Fishing Merit Badge
By offering a “fishing" merit badge, the Boy Scouts of America teach boys that hooking, suffocating, and killing animals is acceptable.
While fish cannot always express pain and suffering in ways that humans can easily recognize, marine biologists know that fish have a neurochemical system and the brain capacity to experience fear and pain.
Fishing is inconsistent with the Scout Law, which states, "A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason."
Fishing is cruel, and kids should be taught to enjoy the outdoors in nonviolent ways. Please ask Boy Scouts to retire their fishing merit badge. The Scouts’ National Advancement Committee will meet next month to discuss this issue, so your letters are needed now. Thank you. Write:
Terry C. Lawson, Director
Advancement
Boy Scouts of America
P.O. Box 152079
Irving, TX 75015-2079
Tel.: 972-580-2000
Fax: 972-580-2079